Eskom’s leadership is a bunch of amateurs – Energy expert

Dlamaqhinga

Expert Member
Eskom has a COO (Jan Oberholzer) who is well experience in Energy, sometimes people think that Eskom issues are are only Technical (Maintenance) related, Eskom is in Financial problem (here Phakamani experience will come in handy, Jan Oberholzer will be the guy driving all the issues that are technical (Maintanance backlog / build backlog)

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
Any problem is a split between people, process and technology. We have had much talk about people and technology but nothing about process.
What Eskom needs is process management such as proactive maintenance tasks as a start. Not a CEO who pays for rocks....

Jola

Honorary Master
Eskom’s leadership is a bunch of amateurs – Energy expert

Two energy experts have slated Eskom’s leadership, arguing that the Eskom board should be sacked and a new CEO with an engineering background and energy experience should be appointed.

Speaking to SABC News, energy expert Ted Blom said he has never seen a “bunch of amateurs” running a company as is the case with Eskom.
Not really news, is it ?

#ProudlyBroughtByANC

Nepotism and cadre deployment - fitting square pegs into round holes !!! They've been having it.

Sollie

Expert Member
Isn't your statement odd since Ian McRae was not an Electrical Engineer? he had a BSc in Mechanical Engineering.
Please remind me, why despite never having studied mechanical engineering (rather electrical), many of the classes were filled mechanical engineering students. Further please explain to me why I had to learn about stresses, shear strengths ... with mechanical engineering students. Please explain to me why in our labs playing with all those fancy electrical kit we also had the mechanical engineering students? :unsure:

Also please explain how a boiler is purely in the mechanical domain? I'm just using narrowly related engineering degrees as an example, there are more.

Of course you can try play it down on lesser semantics ...

Last edited:

Sollie

Expert Member
Any senior exec working at Eskom circa 2008 and beyond would've been working in a heavily corrupted environment as that is when Zuma and co started their fun and games. Their capacity to do things the correct way is in doubt as a result.

View attachment 639046

Lets ignore Morgan and Gcabashe as at that time Eskom was still fully functional. Under Morgan, Eskom was turning a profit, pursuing a privatisation program and reducing the cost of electricity to the consumer.

Now, lets turn to the the 9 CEOs that served during Zuma's tenure.

3 - Maritz; Koko and Molefe - are implicated in State Capture while Matjila, was found to have breached procurement protocols when making deals with Gupta-aligned companies. That is 4 out of 9 CEOs involved in State Capture and the destruction of Eskom.

The other 5 can be placed in the ''good guy'' category with maybe a raised eyebrow where Dames is concerned.

Maroga was the first casualty of the Zuma regime. Looking at his background, it would be safe to say that he was a competent guy with good intentions. Unfortunately this meant he would not facilitate Zuma's looting and he was forced out.

Makwana really didn't do much, except maybe provide a forewarning for the growing turmoil at Eskom.

Dames fell on his sword when a possible conflict of interest arose that involved IPPs connected to Patrice Motsepe and Cyril Ramaphosa. No evidence of wrong-doing though so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Then we have two victims of trying to be stand-up guys. Matona was dismissed by a Gupta-approved board after questioning governance and ethics at Eskom while Dladla was ''encouraged'' to leave when it was discovered that he was working with investigators as they looked in to Trillian.

All of them were also working with boards that were increasingly being poisoned with Zupta deployments, so they were really just the face of a corrupt board making all the decisions.
Something that should produce rather interesting reading is to create a list of Eskom executive management per year for the last N years vs qualifications.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Please remind me, why despite never having studied mechanical engineering (rather electrical), many of the classes were filled mechanical engineering students. Further please explain to me why I had to learn about stresses, shear strengths ... with mechanical engineering students. Please explain to me why in our labs playing with all those fancy electrical kit we also had the mechanical engineering students? :unsure:

Also please explain how a boiler is purely in the mechanical domain? I'm just using narrowly related engineering degrees as an example, there are more.

Of course you can try play it down on lesser semantics ...
??? :oops: Why should I explain all these things to you?

Sollie

Expert Member
??? :oops: Why should I explain all these things to you?
So we can appoint a bean counter that I doubt knows how to change a toilet roll in his own loo, for something as critical as the one and only national electricity supplier?

Ah, gotcha - you're having a slow logic Friday, but still need to troll and be 'clevuh'.

thechamp

Honorary Master
So we can appoint a bean counter that I doubt knows how to change a toilet roll in his own loo, for something as critical as the one and only national electricity supplier?

Ah, gotcha - you're having a slow logic Friday, but still need to troll and be 'clevuh'.
I think you have a problem of getting too excited when you see my posts, next time calm down a little.

Sollie

Expert Member
I think you have a problem of getting too excited when you see my posts, next time calm down a little.
Rather a problem of applying logic to the crap somebody posts, replying and it turns out to be you.

Niala66

Niala66

Political deployments instead of technocrats, ofc Eskom will suffer.

View attachment 639014
I am puzzled that faced with massive évidences of mismanagement by their management and their board that they still resist external pressures to appoint SMEs (subject matter experts) even if they have to be whites! Or would this be racist? They don't have the required expertise to run such a complex businesd
, period..

Nick333

Honorary Master
I am puzzled that faced with massive évidences of mismanagement by their management and their board that they still resist external pressures to appoint SMEs (subject matter experts) even if they have to be whites! Or would this be racist? They don't have the required expertise to run such a complex businesd
, period..
Are you really puzzled? Should I explain anyway?

First qualification of any deployment - are they a solid cadre?

What is a solid cadre? Someone with dyed in the wool struggle credentials. Are their parents comrades? Who do they know? What did they do for the movement? What are they owed? Did they raise someone who knows where their loyalties lie? If they loot (if lol!), do they know how to spread it around and to who? Most importantly, and I can't stress this enough, is this fccker going to come in here and start asking questions about previous expenditure?

Oh, do we have anyone fitting that bill with relevant, industry, experience? No? Ok, who managed to get through previous deployments without fccking everything up completely? OK, he'll have to do. Just remind him to keep his fccking mouth shut.

Utterly Confused

The previous CEOs had Engineering backgrounds, qualifications in Engineering, experience in the energy sector and most important years of experience with Eskom some of them having started as fresh graduates with Eskomn and grown from withing the company, yet here we are.
They were most probably white!