Eskom announces Stage 4 load-shedding from 12:00 on Wednesday to 05:00 on Friday

Chris_SA

Expert Member
R230k but this was in August last year. Some prices have dropped since then.

For that price you can get a tesla powerwall 2 (13.5 kwh) and solar installed. Any reason you went for existing installation?

AchmatK

Executive Member
For that price you can get a tesla powerwall 2 (13.5 kwh) and solar installed. Any reason you went for existing installation?
Where? I think the Tesla is not a hybrid inverter.

This was the best bang for buck at the time.

8kw hybrid inverter (sunsynk which is probably the most in demand right now)
10.37kw of solar panels
14kwh of pylontech batteries

Chris_SA

Expert Member
Where? I think the Tesla is not a hybrid inverter.

This was the best bang for buck at the time.

8kw hybrid inverter (sunsynk which is probably the most in demand right now)
10.37kw of solar panels
14kwh of pylontech batteries

That's for the powerwall 2 plus supporting hardware. Only need to pay solar and installation extra.

528a4747011a7bd4ddfc583893c04f27.jpg

AchmatK

Executive Member
That's for the powerwall 2 plus supporting hardware. Only need to pay solar and installation extra.

528a4747011a7bd4ddfc583893c04f27.jpg
This does not come close to my setup and is already more expensive. I need an 8kw inverter as I'm running basically two households, 5 adults and 2 kids under 11.

Over 450 days in operation and over 16.6MWh in solar production. Screenshot_20211027-200413_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211027-200607_SOLARMAN%20Smart.jpg

AchmatK

Executive Member
I am asking as am looking for a solution and have no idea where to start...
Ok. I like tesla but for what it is, it's over priced.

What is your needs?

Do you want to start small and build up or do want to buy something that can cater to most of your needs and still allow for future upgrades.

I'm in Somerset West so wind is always an option. With the sunsynk I can simply add a wind turbine and inverter, connect it to the aux on the sunsynk and I now have my solar and wind system.

If I don't want wind I can connect a generator to the aux for when it's overcast.

The sunsynk is one of the best inverters right now with many configuration and later upgrade options without needing to replace your entire setup when needing to upgrade.

At the time that I did my install there was very little information about the sunsynk but its improved since then. I think I assisted over a dozen people right here on MyBB when they decided to go for the sunsynk and I'm still assisting some right now.

Chris_SA

Expert Member
So the fuses were stolen from our substation Sunday morning and city power only really came today to install new cables - so have been without electricity for 3 days and vet gatvol.

I work from home full time (HR IT) and can't be in the same position again.

Basically my needs are

Keep the fridge running
Wifi/ charge macbook (although the m1 is incredible and can basically survive 3 days without charge)
1 geyser only for 3 hours at night (2 adults and 3 year old)
Lights in house (everything already LED)

Stove top is gas, anything else I just start a braai.

I want to make sure I don't sit in th lê dark again and also save some monthly cost - i am in Joburg.

VooDooC

Expert Member
Funny how we go from loadshedding at stage 2 to rolling clack outs at stage 4 in Jhb. Most of Joburg is sitting without power even outside our loadshedding blocks. And it happens everytime we go to stage 3 or higher.

Pretty sure they just don't bother to turn on the power in areas if they're scheduled for two sessions in one day.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So you only had one hour or 30 minutes? Lucky
30 minutes give or take. Our slots are technically 2.5hrs but only rarely do they go into that last half hour so we think of them as two hour blocks.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Funny how we go from loadshedding at stage 2 to rolling clack outs at stage 4 in Jhb. Most of Joburg is sitting without power even outside our loadshedding blocks. And it happens everytime we go to stage 3 or higher.

Pretty sure they just don't bother to turn on the power in areas if they're scheduled for two sessions in one day.
Which would be most areas during stage 2, stage 4 is 3 sessions a day

Lupus

Honorary Master
30 minutes give or take. Our slots are technically 2.5hrs but only rarely do they go into that last half hour so we think of them as two hour blocks.
Yeah lately the JHB ones for me haven't been so bad, on the 4 hour ones we would go down and stay down. Now on 2 hours we're back up within 5 minutes after.

AchmatK

Executive Member
So the fuses were stolen from our substation Sunday morning and city power only really came today to install new cables - so have been without electricity for 3 days and vet gatvol.

I work from home full time (HR IT) and can't be in the same position again.

Basically my needs are

Keep the fridge running
Wifi/ charge macbook (although the m1 is incredible and can basically survive 3 days without charge)
1 geyser only for 3 hours at night (2 adults and 3 year old)
Lights in house (everything already LED)

Stove top is gas, anything else I just start a braai.

I want to make sure I don't sit in th lê dark again and also save some monthly cost - i am in Joburg.
For that a 5kw sunsynk could do the trick. I would put the geyser before the inverter on the non essential side or on the aux.

2 x hubble Am2 5.5kw should give you enough backup power for a few hours. I'm not sure what your idle and overnight usage is but it could possibly take you through the night. If you want to be on the safe side, 3 batteries would be better.

Solar panels should be easy but 10 x 540w panels would work nicely with that.

@vassen is also up there and he has his 5kw sunsynk installed about the same time I did mine. I'm sure would not mind giving his input. He also added another 5kw to his existing setup.

Future upgrades could be another 5kw in parallel with the existing one doubling your solar capacity and AC output.

5kw sunsynk R20k
Hubble Am2 5.5kw x 2 = R50k
Ja solar 540w x 10 = R29 500

Total excluding installation, mounting kit for panels and sundries = R100k which is almost on part with the Tesla going for R159k and still needs solar.

Chris_SA

Expert Member
For that a 5kw sunsynk could do the trick. I would put the geyser before the inverter on the non essential side or on the aux.

2 x hubble Am2 5.5kw should give you enough backup power for a few hours. I'm not sure what your idle and overnight usage is but it could possibly take you through the night. If you want to be on the safe side, 3 batteries would be better.

Solar panels should be easy but 10 x 540w panels would work nicely with that.

@vassen is also up there and he has his 5kw sunsynk installed about the same time I did mine. I'm sure would not mind giving his input. He also added another 5kw to his existing setup.

Future upgrades could be another 5kw in parallel with the existing one doubling your solar capacity and AC output.

5kw sunsynk R20k
Hubble Am2 5.5kw x 2 = R50k
Ja solar 540w x 10 = R29 500

Total excluding installation, mounting kit for panels and sundries = R100k which is almost on part with the Tesla going for R159k and still needs solar.

Thanks for the feedback, let me do my research.

RaptorSA

Executive Member
15 hours without power now in our area.
Batteries are pretty much dry.

Thanks ANC.... I'm getting back in bed and what happens happens now.