Eskom begins export of power to Zimbabwe

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Eskom begins export of power to Zimbabwe

South African utility Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd. began exports of 400 megawatts into Zimbabwe on Friday, easing a protracted power crisis characterized by daily outages lasting up to 18 hours.

State-owned Zesa Holdings expects less electricity demand and sees the amount of time without electricity “definitely” falling, spokesman Fullard Gwasira said by phone from the capital, Harare. [Bloomberg]

John Tempus

Expert Member
Fuel for Eskom to start load shedding in SA.

Watch this space, this is the start of creating a back story as to why load shedding is returning.

Makes no sense that we export any power at all during our own crisis. We don't have excess power in SA to export, whatever extra power there is needs to be available for our economy to recover so I am dumbfounded wtf is Eskom is doing this now.

Reactions: XTM

v3gout

Please edit the headline so it reads MW for megawatts and not 'mW' for milliwatts ... unless of course Eskom is down to its last milliwatts ... :)

genetic

Honorary Master
Milliwatts is where it's at.

Well done to Zimbabwe for energy efficiency.

Utterly Confused

Watch this space, this is the start of creating a back story as to why load shedding is returning.

Makes no sense that we export any power at all during our own crisis. We don't have excess power in SA to export, whatever extra power there is needs to be available for our economy to recover so I am dumbfounded wtf is Eskom is doing this now.
By my logic we have an over supply of power especially here in Cape Town. Here we have many street lights on 24/7. It really shocks me as to why all the street lights on the NI to the airport have been on all day for months on end. This really makes me Utterly Confused. :)

thechamp

Honorary Master

This way Eskom can make sure it satisfies the hunger for loadshedding. I've been watching this space for some time now.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
By my logic we have an over supply of power especially here in Cape Town. Here we have many street lights on 24/7. It really shocks me as to why all the street lights on the NI to the airport have been on all day for months on end. This really makes me Utterly Confused. :)
Shouldn't be 'shocked' (ahem) in this country. Its to prevent theft.
If its live, it harder for 'them' to do things to the cables and lighting.

Guess who 'them' are.

Correct - the thieves.

Sarg3_ZN

Guess who 'them' are.

Correct - the thieves.
Don't you mean the izinyoka

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
should look after the citizens who pay before worrying about freeloaders within the country and outside

Utterly Confused

Guess who 'them' are.

Correct - the thieves.
If that's the case then they should have all the street lights on 24/7!

Johnatan56

Honorary Master