Eskom CEO says procurement boss suspension is about competence, not race

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It does not matter who is in charge of the country or even how they got there...it is about the decisions they make. If a dictator or a democratically elected person, make the same decisions that destroy a country, which on is the worst?
It's simple really, a dictator cannot be questioned about the decisions, cannot be taken to court to reverse the decisions and they are in power forever or as long as it takes, unhindered to make decisions that destroy a country. That's how countries become like Zimbabwe.

Thankfully we don't have that problem here, contrary to what some people think.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
It's simple really, a dictator cannot be questioned about the decisions, cannot be taken to court to reverse the decisions and they are in power forever or as long as it takes, unhindered to make decisions that destroy a country. That's how countries become like Zimbabwe.

1618048474590.png

chrisc

Honorary Master
There are incompetents in all walks of life.
Fellow hires a guard to help out at a security counter in a commercial building
He has to note the name and phone number of all visitors and call the office being visited
There is of course both an alphabetical, numeric and floor directory of the 202 businesses and two consulates in this 26-floor building
In the first two days on duty, he turned away 42 visitors, telling them that no-one was answering the phone
One visitor for the Swiss Consulate, not happy with the answer, called the office from his mobile. The lady said no-one had called and came down to the ground floor
Turns out that this guard did not read any of the lists and just pressed "0" on the phone instead of say, 133
When confronted, he became aggressive and started smashing phones, screens and poured a bottle of Coca-cola onto the turnstile release mechanism, causing R13000 damage
He was dismissed and went to the CCMA. When shown his violent behavior on camera, he walked out, not before sweeping everything off the desk onto the floor
He is now employed by the same guarding co, but has been redeployed to washing their vans and mini-buses

Iwojima

Expert Member

...and why is it exactly that you think the path to Zim 2.0 needs to include a dictator to accomplish all of the strife Zim 1.0 experienced?

A democratically elected president/party can just as easily (as we've seen) sink a country through damaging social and economic policy and unhindered corruption.

Things do not necessarily have to go exactly as they did in Zim 1.0 for the same end result to be achieved.

Secondly, with enough support even democratically elected populist leaders can become dictators. Those who are not democratically elected and become dictators tend to come to power through populist support during dire situations.

Last edited:

PsyWulf

Honorary Master

Poor delusional fool - think you forgot to add a "yet"
The legislature is under attack by Zoomer and co for being the highest power as opposed to people's wishes(theirs).

And processes like EWP are being steamrolled into law

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The legislature is under attack by Zoomer and co for being the highest power as opposed to people's wishes(theirs).

There is absolutely no need for that kind of language, are you incapable of having a civil conversation with someone who has opposing views?

Iwojima

Expert Member

It blows my mind how someone can look at:
  • Current ruling party factionalism
  • The diminishing of strong opposition parties
  • The rise of a populist party that continues to garner more and more support
  • Increased crime and rampant corruption in all spheres
  • Economic downturn/unemployment levels
  • Failing/failed state institutions and municipalities
  • Poor race relations and continual scapegoat-ism
...and then conclude that if we maintain the current course that we aren't well on our way to failed statehood. You don't need to be a history or politics major to have a working understanding of what leads to what.

The Magster

In very few cases it is about actually feeling inferior. It's more often than not just a tactic.

Just before lockdown we'd had a huge cleanup of local beaches after New Year. The day after I took a drive past the beachfront and came across a guy chucking his whole family's takeaway out of car not even 50m from a bin. I stopped and, more politely than I would with a person of my own race, explained to him that the beach had just been cleaned and that there are ample bins around.

He instantly lost his sh*t, didn't even try justify his actions and called me a racist. The fact that someone in Solly's position (and many like him) appears to be wired with the same sort of mentality as a random litterbug is truly disgusting.
50m from a bin? How about a guy walking towards a bin and 2m from the bin throws his rubbish on the ground? Man, do I really have to share oxygen with these morons?

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
It blows my mind how someone can look at:
  • Current ruling party factionalism
  • The diminishing of strong opposition parties
  • The rise of a populist party that continues to garner more and more support
  • Increased crime and rampant corruption in all spheres
  • Economic downturn/unemployment levels
  • Failing/failed state institutions and municipalities
  • Poor race relations and continual scapegoat-ism
...and then conclude that if we maintain the current course that we aren't well on our way to failed statehood. You don't need to be a history or politics major to have a working understanding of what leads to what.
Unfortunate,@TheChamp is trying hard to defend his benefactors from the coming storm,by sticking his head in the sand and whistling the national anthem while caressing an ANC flag softly to strengthen his resolve

Meanwhile:
1618054460913.png

The Magster

About 27 years into a democracy and look how quick and easy it is to play a race card. And there are those who will still go along with this as it hides their own failings. Eish, do I really have to share my oxygen?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Unfortunate,@TheChamp is trying hard to defend his benefactors from the coming storm,by sticking his head in the sand and whistling the national anthem while caressing an ANC flag softly to strengthen his resolve

Meanwhile:
View attachment 1050007
My "benefactors" should be fine though, whatever happens, I don't see you running for the hills?

The Magster

Beyond that, he should be presented with a bill for the entire cost of the investigation both internally from Eskom and from SCOPA as well.

We need to have consequences for these damn spurious racist claims.
I'm taking bets that nothing will happen to this dude. After all, maladministration is done in the spirit of ubuntu! Oh man...

Iwojima

Expert Member
I'll give him this though: While his attempts at subversion land him in situations where he ends up conflicting his own narrative and he's very careful about selectively picking targets/discussion points/who he replies to you can still admire his resolve and the fact that he's still helpful on the rest of the forum even if he's had a go with someone before.

The same cannot be said for a handful of other members who think trolling is an effective tactic for getting a point across.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
No need to rig elections in this country with the electorate we have. Dumb fvcks voted for Zuma twice and will vote ANC while burning down a clinic protesting poor service delivery.
Yip. Muppets keep voting ANC, even while ANC is stealing everything.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
We won't become Zimbabwe anytime soon, generally countries who have vibrant democracies, free elections and fixed terms for Presidents never become Zimbabwe, but I know you guys don't care about such details when.you are in your Zimbabwe mode.

When you start sliding down a slide, you cannot climb off halfway, or make an about turn, you have to ride it to the bottom, then it dumps you in a sand box, if you lucky.