Eskom collects R39 million more in Soweto on prepaid meters

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Surprised it is working. But good nonetheless.

BBotha

Do we all pay the same when using pre-paid electricity? I.O.W. is everyone paying the same for a unit or electricity on pre-paid?

thechamp

Honorary Master
Do we all pay the same when using pre-paid electricity? I.O.W. is everyone paying the same for a unit or electricity on pre-paid?
No, tariffs differ according to your supplier and usage tariff groups, i.e different tariffs apply for high medium and low usage customers and if your supply is directly from Eskom you pay less compared to a city council user, e.g City Power.

garp

Executive Member
R39m doesn't sound like a lot compared to their R4bn arrears. Just a drop in the ocean of stolen cash (yes, it is theft). At least it is some improvement.

Pilgrim

Wugger
I wonder if that R39m includes the price increase?

I don't see ppl that used to steal electricity just taking this lying down, they would find other means of connecting. It is part of the cultcha

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
That amount will drop every month when they start with the illegal connections again.

Zarkon

No we don't pay the same.

No, tariffs differ according to your supplier and usage tariff groups, i.e different tariffs apply for high medium and low usage customers and if your supply is directly from Eskom you pay less compared to a city council user, e.g City Power.
Yes tariffs differ according to usage i know since i spoke to them about this and my friend also spoke to them,when he was paying for the highest bracket and wanted to know,whats going on. There are different "brackets" u are put into,high user,medium user and low user and it all depends on when and how much u use.

U get reevaluated every year for the bracket,my friend just moved in to his new flat,when the previous owner used a lot of electricity,hence the reason for him paying so much,and he had to wait for the the reevaluation.

So anyways after asking them what the lowest tariff was, a worker of mine who is from the delft showed me his prepaid slip,after i wasn't convinced that he got so many units for the amount he buys.

I looked at his slip and it was 55c per unit and i remember that the lowest bracket anyone can go on any of the 2 prepaid meters(They explained there were 2 different one's,eskom and the city one) was no where near that,this was in 2013. So from my experience,the poor areas pay about half than what "wealthier" area's pay.

Unless there is another "bracket" which i clearly remember them saying it was not 55c.

thechamp

Honorary Master
No we don't pay the same.

So anyways after asking them what the lowest tariff was, a worker of mine who is from the delft showed me his prepaid slip,after i wasn't convinced that he got so many units for the amount he buys.

I looked at his slip and it was 55c per unit and i remember that the lowest bracket anyone can go on any of the 2 prepaid meters(They explained there were 2 different one's,eskom and the city one) was no where near that,this was in 2013. So from my experience,the poor areas pay about half than what "wealthier" area's pay.

Unless there is another "bracket" which i clearly remember them saying it was not 55c.
We still pay just below R1 for a Kwh at my parents' home in the North West on Eskom supply but it's definitely not 55c, maybe 97 cents.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
We still pay just below R1 for a Kwh at my parents' home in the North West on Eskom supply but it's definitely not 55c, maybe 97 cents.
The 55c per kWh may be a mathematical thing to cater for the 50kwh free that indigent households qualify for in some areas...

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
R39m doesn't sound like a lot compared to their R4bn arrears. Just a drop in the ocean of stolen cash (yes, it is theft). At least it is some improvement.
Another way of looking at it is that it is R39m some other sucker doesn't have to cover.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I wish. We pay R 1.39/kwh in Durban as per my most recent bill.