Eskom energy costs have increased so it is viable go off-grid and get your capital costs back with return

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Goodbye Eskom — What it costs to go off-grid

It will cost around R250,000 to install a power generation and storage system that is sufficient to take a small household off of Eskom’s grid.

This is according to Nick Roche, chief product officer at Rubicon, a South African energy company that distributes solutions like Tesla’s Powerwall backup battery system.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
A Tesla power wall is overpriced for what it is/most users will use it for. Haven't read the article but guessing partner content/an advertorial.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
Recycling is good for the environment. MyBB just playing their part in recycling article to help end global warming :thumbsup:

Tomasz-London

Utter overpriced nonsense. R125K will get you off the grid. R48K 10kW Battery, R30K 5kW Solar Panels, 8kW Hybrid Inverter R17K, Cabling, Switches, Fuses, Panel Brackets etc R10K, Installation and Registration R20K. Geyser can be charged during the day from solar, if not R25K extra or conversion, if possible, for R15K.

Last edited:

gimpex

Utter overpriced nonsense. R125K will get you off the grid. R48K 10kW Battery, R30K 5kW Solar Panels, 8kW Hybrid Inverter R17K, Cabling, Switches, Fuses, Panel Brackets etc R10K, Installation and Registration R20K. Geyser can be charged during the day from solar, if not R25K extra or conversion, if possible, for R15K.

This will not get you off the grid ….. might be for certain days and weeks but never for 365 days a year

swim

Expert Member
This will not get you off the grid ….. might be for certain days and weeks but never for 365 days a year
I will send a guarantee/tender to the sun via whatsapp. Sorted

Tomasz-London

Ok, then add another R48K for another 10kWh battery and you'll still be about R80K better off than what the article quotes... Assuming they also took into account the not so sunny days...

gimpex

Ok, then add another R48K for another 10kWh battery and you'll still be about R80K better off than what the article quotes... Assuming they also took into account the not so sunny days...

Double the panels and maybe just maybe but I still wouldn’t risk cutting eskom.

This year Jan we had 5 or 6 days of cloud cover that my 5kw of panels couldn’t produce more than 7kw of power a day . It was unusual but in the last 3 years or so I’ve had my system , there has been more times like this . Granted both my geysers are on the solar system too. In summer I often have power I don’t know what to do with but it’s not a 365 day safe system (5kw panels , 15kwh batteries )

To cater for the odd bad days you would need to overspec the setup that 90% of the time would be Idle

McGuywer

Executive Member
This year Jan we had 5 or 6 days of cloud cover that my 5kw of panels couldn’t produce more than 7kw of power a day . It was unusual but in the last 3 years or so I’ve had my system , there has been more times like this .

Where are you located?

AchmatK

Executive Member
To completely disconnect from the grid is very expensive and you will have a system that is over spec for 9 months of the year.

In July my pv on average was 20kwh per day from a 10.36kw array which is the lowest month of the year.

There were consecutive days were it was below 10kwh and a few days in June even under 5kwh for the day.

My daily requirements is 40kwh so would need 4 times the panels and 6 to 8 times my current battery bank of 14kwh to cater for winter.

Getting to be 80% self reliant costs about 20% to 30% of going fully off grid. Only possible solution is wind which I have plenty of in my location and something I am considering in the next 6 months which will probably take my total system cost to R280k vs over R600k just using solar for generation.

I could use a generator for winter to cover the pv shortfall but this comes with recurring fuel costs which negates any savings.

AchmatK

Executive Member
I'm off-grid and it did not cost more than R 60 000..

All depends on what you electricity needs are.

Agreed but then your electricity needs must be very low.

What is your daily consumption?

Currantly

Expert Member

'It is unaffordable' - Steep electricity tariffs cause outcry in Western Cape legislature​

Opposition parties in the Western Cape legislature have attacked the City of Cape Town's electricity hike and questioned whether relief to residents will be widened.

GOOD general-secretary Brett Herron accused Local Government and Environment MEC Anton Bredell of being a "messenger for the City".

Bredell was answering questions in the legislature on Thursday on what interventions were initiated by his department to ensure the City broadens its scope and resources to assist more people and those who are unable to cope with the hike in electricity tariffs.

The City implemented a 13.1% increase in its electricity tariffs that kicked in at the beginning of July, despite strong opposition from residents.

Linky