Eskom exports at least 1,706MW to neighbouring countries

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Eskom exports enough power to prevent two stages of load-shedding

Eskom exports at least 1,706 megawatts (MW) to South Africa’s neighbours — enough power to mitigate a minimum of one stage of load-shedding and up to two stages, depending on the shortfall in its generation capacity.

The power utility provided details of its foreign clients in response to a Parliamentary question asked by Bhekizizwe Luthuli from the Inkatha Freedom Party.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Yeah we also use a ****ton of power smelting aluminum ore, which is imported! But what are we gonna do, give up that income and those contracts?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yeah we also use a ****ton of power smelting aluminum ore, which is imported! But what are we gonna do, give up that income and those contracts?
Yup so much so that when the lockdown happened and the smelters went offline we could coast on almost 9GW less then what we use normally.

jetlee

umm .. what is the tallied economic cost of load shedding .. Eskom are stealing from the SA economy that paid for the power stations and getting paid for it by the rest of Southern Africa ?

PaulMurkin

The figure quoted is probably a "white lie" its probably more than that.
What people also don't realise is that Namibia has a "watertight" contract with Eskom. They don't get loadshedding, as there's penalty clauses etc..

cr@zydude

Executive Member

Yip. SA, like New Zealand, imports alumina, smelts it into aluminium, and then exports the aluminium. South32's SA aluminium smelter lives or dies on cheap electricity.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
ESKOM has been supplying the entire continent for decades. Im surprised to see it is only a handful of countries now

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Wouldnt they use LPG for smelting?
I don't think the burning temperature is high enough for doing significant volumes

There is also a huge amount of grinding, pumping and high pressures involved in the Bayer process. and that's just what you need to do to process the ore. you still need to process it into ingots from there.

Edit: aluminium oxide has a melting temperature of 900–1000 °C

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I don't think the burning temperature is high enough for doing significant volumes

There is also a huge amount of grinding, pumping and high pressures involved in the Bayer process. and that's just what you need to do to process the ore. you still need to process it into ingots from there.
I saw some aluminium smelters operating on Youtube. The amount of current that a plant such as that uses is insane. Not to mention deafening when the arcs are ignited.

I must see if I can find the vid that I saw a while back

EDIT: Similar to the one below, but not exactly:

EDIT numero dos: Found it, the anodes get inserted around the 1m37 mark:

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

Edit: aluminium oxide has a melting temperature of 900–1000 °C

From what I understand, the actual process requires electricity and not just heat.

B-1

Expert Member
Probably exporting at a loss at this point as well.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Probably exporting at a loss at this point as well.

Very likely, as those contracts would have been entered into many many years ago, and can't be altered substantially.

Reactions: B-1

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Yeah, but that consumes lots of power as far as I understand.

Yes it does, I was responding to an earlier post. The point is that natural gas cannot be used as a source of energy for an electrolytic process, which by definition requires electricity...