Eskom faces R400 billion hurdle as it targets 300,000 jobs in green energy push

porchrat

Honorary Master
I don't understand how they can be considering stuff like that while they're R400 billion in debt and consistently running at a loss. They should be 100% focused on fixing the rot in Eskom and recovering from that debt.

You can't hope to succeed in any new project while you're paying R200 000 for a mop.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I don't understand how they can be considering stuff like that while they're R400 billion in debt and consistently running at a loss. They should be 100% focused on fixing the rot in Eskom and recovering from that debt.

You can't hope to succeed in any new project while you're paying R200 000 for a mop.

To be fair to Andre, he has to juggle the current state of Eskom as well as positioning it for the future where it can be sustainable and work properly. You can't do that by just fixing the current rot, he has to plot a new path for the whole entity.

grok

Honorary Master

No man they believe corruption is a victimless crime..

porchrat

Honorary Master
To be fair to Andre, he has to juggle the current state of Eskom as well as positioning it for the future where it can be sustainable and work properly. You can't do that by just fixing the current rot, he has to plot a new path for the whole entity.
You have a point.

I just feel like these people think money is going to fall out of the sky for these things. The damage of the Zuma years is so vast it's incredible.

ToxicBunny

You have a point.

I just feel like these people think money is going to fall out of the sky for these things. The damage of the Zuma years is so vast it's incredible.

I am in the same boat, it does come across at times as if this money will just appear... but I would like to think Andre has enough sus to know that he has to right the ship to some level before any of this grandiose future plans have any chance of success.

porchrat

Honorary Master
I am in the same boat, it does come across at times as if this money will just appear... but I would like to think Andre has enough sus to know that he has to right the ship to some level before any of this grandiose future plans have any chance of success.
I'm also concerned they've added an extra 0 to that jobs estimate... 300 000... that's over 10x their current employee count... and they're already obviously overstaffed.

ToxicBunny

I'm also concerned they've added an extra 0 to that jobs estimate... 300 000... that's over 10x their current employee count... and they're already obviously overstaffed.

I think that jobs estimate is nationally for the entire market rather than within Eskom itself....

If Eskom shifts to a renewable model then there is a chance of 300000 jobs across the whole industry with manufacturing/support/etc.

porchrat

Honorary Master
I think that jobs estimate is nationally for the entire market rather than within Eskom itself....

If Eskom shifts to a renewable model then there is a chance of 300000 jobs across the whole industry with manufacturing/support/etc.
Makes perfect sense. Now that I read back I can see I've misread it. Thanks.