Eskom fights to hike electricity prices by 50%

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Eskom fights to hike electricity prices by 50%

Eskom is seeking to recoup revenue of R27.3 billion for the 2019 financial year via its latest regulatory clearing account (RCA) application.

The state-owned power utility is pushing to raise electricity prices by 10-15% next year, followed by increases of 50% over the next few years.

Sarg3_ZN

Even if they manage to get a 100% increase per year over the next 3 years they will still be running at a loss. They are only going to make going off grid make more financial sense.

They need to clean up house first, get rid of the over inflated tenders that were awarded over the last decade, then sort out their over inflated head count, next they need to adjust their salaries to match their performance after that get some proper individuals even if they are foreigners to fix Kusile and Medupi, start to allow renewables and make use if IPP's and lastly they need to cut off the non payers until they start to make payment.

Looney

Expert Member
Even if they manage to get a 100% increase per year over the next 3 years they will still be running at a loss. They are only going to make going off grid make more financial sense.

They need to clean up house first, get rid of the over inflated tenders that were awarded over the last decade, then sort out their over inflated head count, next they need to adjust their salaries to match their performance after that get some proper individuals even if they are foreigners to fix Kusile and Medupi, start to allow renewables and make use if IPP's and lastly they need to cut off the non payers until they start to make payment.
LOL! Wake up from lalaland! ;)

Utterly Confused

This makes perfect logic, but remember we live in Africa. Logic doesn't apply.

ConfusedR

The new CEO, surely is doing his job. I know he just started but Eskom wants 50% for the next few years. Does the new CEO agree to this with no cost cutting? Is he just filling his pockets like the others did and still are doing?

Thank you to the members of the ANC and the ANC voters. You all have destroyed Eskom and are destroying this country.

Sollie

Executive Member
Kind of reminds me of the street vendor at the traffic light.

No thanks ... you smile.

... vendor tries his luck ...

No!

... still he tries ...

Which part of f-off don't you understand!

Unfortunately in this case gov't /Nersa has to do the f-off. We know how that will work out. :(

Milano

Honorary Master
Same Eskom that a few weeks ago said R9 billion is not worth saving? :unsure: Next increase and way more people will join the millions who already pay nothing.

zoozi

The new CEO, surely is doing his job. I know he just started but Eskom wants 50% for the next few years. Does the new CEO agree to this with no cost cutting? Is he just filling his pockets like the others did and still are doing?

Thank you to the members of the ANC and the ANC voters. You all have destroyed Eskom and are destroying this country.
De Ruyter is beholden to far larger powers and influences than himself. Don't fool yourself that he's solely responsible while navigating an inherited minefield. It's like blaming a president for a country's woes, it goes much deeper than that.
I don't know why I get frustrated at this **** anymore. As if anything has changed or will change, it's only going to get worse. It's time to start adjusting to the fact this place will never recover to it's former glory, just another African country.

ConfusedR

De Ruyter is beholden to far larger powers and influences than himself. Don't fool yourself that he's solely responsible while navigating an inherited minefield. It's like blaming a president for a country's woes, it goes much deeper than that.
I don't know why I get frustrated at this **** anymore. As if anything has changed or will change, it's only going to get worse. It's time to start adjusting to the fact this place will never recover to it's former glory, just another African country.
Well said.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
They can ask for and get 400%, not gonna change their bonuses, overstaffing and decaying infrastructure ..... nor will it make the likes of Soweto and other anc run metro's suddenly cough up the millions/billions that they owe :rolleyes:

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
They can ask for and get 400%, not gonna change their bonuses, overstaffing and decaying infrastructure ..... nor will it make the likes of Soweto and other anc run metro's suddenly cough up the millions/billions that they owe :rolleyes:
Comes to think of it - you people had some of the cheapest and most reliable electricity in the World. Even more so when one considers the fairly small user base and wide streched network. You were competing favorably with much larger and better developed countries. With the increase in user base the price should have dropped even more but than you got blessed with Institutionalised Racism. #SoSad

Corelli

Expert Member
No no no. What they said ia either we hike prices 50% or we have to sack 6000 not really needed staff.

So now its upto the unions. Allow the reduction in staff or make the country want your heads.

mypetcow

Seriously?!
That’s it. It’s getting ridiculously expensive. I can tell afford another increase. Builders Warehouse here I come. I have to bite the bullet and insulate my house properly or I will be poor come winter. Roof, windows, gap under the front door...and the geyser and the pipes everywhere.
I’ve been dreading this but it’s getting expensive. I figure rather fork out the cash now and not feel the pain as much the next time an increase comes around.