Eskom, government plans for Stage 5 and Stage 6 load shedding to stave off national blackouts

roadcat

Expert Member
At stage 4, we get up to 3 x 2.5 hours per day (so 7 hours in total) with 6 to 8 hours separation . Stage 5 will make us occasionally see 5 hours continuous loadsheddings. Stage 8 will have us see 3 x 5 hours per day, which is 15 hours in total.

Would be very bad.
I am on (well off actually) 3 x 4 hours most days in PE :whistling:

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Most of my load shedding happens at night... which doesnt make that much sense.

thehuman

Expert Member
Getting 12 hours a day on stage 4 , would be 16 for stage 5 and 19 stage 6 ?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
We're getting them in 2 x 4.5-hour blocks at home. Either two of the following;

00:00 - 04:30
08:00 - 12:30
16:00 - 20:30
20:00 - 00:30

Last edited:

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
and the exact difference in effective terms between total black out and stage 6 is what exactly?

zolly

Expert Member
A friend of a friend supposedly bet R20k on a total nationwide blackout occurring within a week. Hmm...

After spending a fortune on a backup AC solution and finding that it isn't really coping with less than half each day having power, we're now turning to a loud diesel generator. Sigh.
You've seen the news right? There's no diesel left so you better buy what you can and stock up.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Grid still live.
Few hours a day power vs no power for 2+ weeks.
EFFECTIVE difference? Which is what I asked. If that few hours is in the middle of the night, not on long enough to keep the fridge cold, and I have no food. The effective difference is zero.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Seems like South Africa is resetting to factory defaults, pre 1652
That made me laugh...reset....then I Cried my Beloved Country.

Solution..terminate the whole big bad black project post 1994. :thumbsup:

garp

Executive Member
Things will really start getting interesting when there starts to be insufficient time between loadsheddings for batteries to recharge or generators to be refuelled (and water reservoir pumps to run!) . AFAIK most cell towers have diesel generators that have to obviously be manually topped up and at some point there is going to be a growing backlog. I also have concerns about the major data centres - I know they have big tanks, but do they have good enough replenishment arrangements, not to mention at what point cost becomes a factor.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
19 March 2019 12:30pm Eskom Klevebank substation has a major trip. City Power has engaged with Eskom on the matter who confirm they are attending to it. --- Due to Eskom, City Power has lost the following subs: Randburg, Bond, Harley, Bordeaux Fountainbleu

SAguy

Executive Member
What I also love is that in City of Cape Town we have a R150 fixed amount on our rates for electricity - regardless of whether you use electricity or not. It's great that we will still be paying this even though we may end up with electricity for half the month.

qscwbt

Expert Member
Hold on you say what; "Eskom board and management have presented their own 9-point turnaround plan"

Eskom board / anc got us in this mess.
In 25 years you could not fix the problem
Suddenly you have a 9 point plan. what is this 9 point plan let me guess.
1. bbbeee
2. Increase rates
3. bee coal
4. increase rates
5. give electricity for free to informal settlements
6. increase rates
etc etc etc