Eskom, government plans for Stage 5 and Stage 6 load shedding to stave off national blackouts

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Things will really start getting interesting when there starts to be insufficient time between loadsheddings for batteries to recharge or generators to be refuelled (and water reservoir pumps to run!) . AFAIK most cell towers have diesel generators that have to obviously be manually topped up and at some point there is going to be a growing backlog. I also have concerns about the major data centres - I know they have big tanks, but do they have good enough replenishment arrangements, not to mention at what point cost becomes a factor.
Assuming those generators and other luxuries aren't stolen.

The real interesting events will start when power affects food and water supplies.

SAguy

Executive Member
Solar retailers must be loving it though - one of their sites is actually battling to stay up from all the traffic.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Solar retailers must be loving it though - one of their sites is actually battling to stay up from all the traffic.
Not surprising.

We are not people who easily allows someone to get us down. We will look after ourselves. Who knows, we may even perhaps get off the grid and let the utility RIP if government does not want to get rid of it.

SAguy

Executive Member
Not surprising.

We are not people who easily allows someone to get us down. We will look after ourselves. Who knows, we may even perhaps get off the grid and let the utility RIP if government does not want to get rid of it.
Sadly though they will find another way to screw us over for having solar. We'll probably have to have our solar systems licensed and pay for how much kw of power we have the potentional to produce and store.

Maybe even have new meters installed and your solar must go through the meter so they can bill you on that.

Fvck knows, but the problem is that they are driving down demand by forcing people to find alternative solutions - and when their supply is high again, they will need to push the price sky high to keep the bottom line up.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Our laws does not allow that.
There is no law preventing me from installing a solar geyser, solar-powered lights, a gas stove and setup a small solar bank to run my TV, computer and charging my devices.

Quicks

Expert Member
They should BURN down Eskom they are useless, we might just see improvement afterwards.

Or not difficult to say in SA.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Sadly though they will find another way to screw us over for having solar. We'll probably have to have our solar systems licensed and pay for how much kw of power we have the potentional to produce and store.

Maybe even have new meters installed and your solar must go through the meter so they can bill you on that.

Fvck knows, but the problem is that they are driving down demand by forcing people to find alternative solutions - and when their supply is high again, they will need to push the price sky high to keep the bottom line up.
They will, I agree with you. But, it is what it is.

Zukat

Expert Member
A friend of a friend supposedly bet R20k on a total nationwide blackout occurring within a week. Hmm...

After spending a fortune on a backup AC solution and finding that it isn't really coping with less than half each day having power, we're now turning to a loud diesel generator. Sigh.
Thats not how electricity works, so you can confidently take the other side of that bet.

Blue Shirt

It might be better if ESKOM starts telling us in which time slots we might actually have power. It will be a much shorter list than currently.

Stuey74

Was looking at inverters yesterday, went back today, same inverter R1k more expensive, and still boasting on sale at 5% discount.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Was looking at inverters yesterday, went back today, same inverter R1k more expensive, and still boasting on sale at 5% discount.
As loadshedding continues and the grid faces an imminent demise, they will get a lot more expensive. So, the faster one can buy these the better it will be.