Eskom has appointed black foreigners to meet affirmative action targets.

Mila

Honorary Master
Eskom Expats

http://beta.mnet.co.za/carteblanche/Article.aspx?Id=3819&ShowId=1

Four years ago South Africans were plunged into an energy crisis. Rolling blackouts became a stark indication of how Eskom had failed to plan for a rapidly developing economy and how the brain drain had taken its toll on the country. The situation called for desperate measures.

Annika Larsen (Carte Blanche presenter): 'In 2006 Eskom embarked on a massive R86-billion build programme. To deal with the skills shortage in South Africa it started a very ambitious recruitment drive: 5000 new staff members over five years. And to deal with Eskom's 2010 employment equity targets, half of them had to be 'black' women.'

'Michelle' (Eskom expat): 'So I was actually contacted and asked if I would come and interview for a position with Eskom.'

'Michelle' is an American citizen who used to work in senior management for a Fortune 500 company in the US. As a post-graduate she earned well over a million rand a year.

'Michelle': 'They did a very good presentation. They talked about the many opportunities you'd have if you'd come here to work on different projects, to excel, to get your hands into many different aspects of the energy industry. So I was told I'd have housing allowance, car allowance, there was even a portion of medical, your cellphone... They really laid it out as to everything you'd have. I was told that the cost of living was much less here than in the US. And that while here we would enjoy the same lifestyle as we would in the US.'

Former MD of Human Resources, Mpho Letlape, held an Eskom careers fair in New York.

'Tyrone' (Eskom expat): 'Somebody from the audience asked her about the crime and she said, 'There's no crime in South Africa.' Those are some of the things that really made me decide to come. I took a pay cut of a substantial amount.'

Annika: 'Having made the decision to take the job at Eskom, the expatriates packed up their lives and flew to South Africa. But they weren't exactly welcomed with open arms. The relocation programme, such as it was, just didn't prepare them for living in Johannesburg.'

Since arriving here, 'Tyron' and his family have been the victims of five armed robberies.

'Tyrone': 'Knowing there was a security issue in the country. And in fact, that we came from another country, it would have been much better for them to put in a security company or an expert to give us an orientation.'

Eskom provided them with a free flat for three months, and a rental car for one month. After that they were on their own. That's when they discovered that the promised car and housing allowance was actually included in the salary.

'Michelle': 'I would have never come without a housing allowance - why? I have a home. I would never have come here without a car allowance, I would have never. And when we got here, they said, 'Oh no - it's part of the package. It's just how you structure your package.' Well that to me doesn't mean housing allowance and car allowance. I would have never come here for that.'

Not only are they earning less than they were promised, Eskom offered very little guidance or support on getting finance for houses and cars. They claim that only one car dealer was prepared to help them.

Settling in was difficult enough, but the real shock was yet to come.

'Tyrone': 'As I went to work I realised they were not ready for me. I had nothing on my desk - no computer, nothing. And I sat there for two months looking around not doing anything. As a professional I felt like I had committed a career suicide.'

'Sally' (Eskom expat): 'My manager wasn't told I was coming. So he wasn't really prepared, and there were misfits in what he expected and what I expected.'

'Michelle': 'There was no job. There was no job description. So I sat.'

Annika: 'I don't understand - they hired you, they head-hunted you, but when you got here....?'

'Michelle': 'I was here probably eight, nine months before I got a job description. I questioned, 'Why would a company spend the money to bring people over and have them sitting? I mean, why? That's such a waste of time, of human capital, of money.''

They believe Eskom is using 'black' foreign employees to meet their BEE targets.

'Michelle': 'Now I thought the purpose of you bringing people over from other areas was to infuse that knowledge from other areas to help build a better Eskom. That's what I thought. But I'm now believing the only reason that I'm here is so that I'm counted as a BEE number. I'm thinking at the end of the day, that's why I'm here - just so that we can tick the BEE box.'

'Tyrone': 'And that kind of ties into all these things about not having a job profile and all those things. They just wanted you to come in and fill those numbers, and we didn't realise that. But now, if you go into the Eskom books we are counted as 'black' South Africans, or as locals. Whereas we are not - we don't qualify for anything.'
We asked empowerment expert Dijon de Jager whether 'black' expatriates can qualify for BEE.

Dijon de Jager (MD Mpower Ratings): 'These 'black' people have to show that they are South African citizens, by birth or by descent or by naturalisation provided they became citizens prior to the date of the Constitution which became effective or commenced in 1994.'

'Grace': 'They are telling me that I was hired as local. That was not my intention. If they told me this before I got the job, I wouldn't have come. Because my intention was not to come here as a local South African, because first of all I'm not a South African and even if I want to be a South African and they won't let me be a South African - I'm only a South African at Eskom, because Eskom wants me to be local. Not us, just Eskom.'
By calling them internationally recruited local employees, Eskom don't have to provide the full package of benefits normally afforded to expatriates.

Annika: 'This term internationally recruited local employees. What does that mean? You are not locals - you are expats?'

'Sally': 'We're expatriates and that is what the local managers are having trouble with. They are saying our pay should be higher than what a local guy gets, but at the same time it's not an expatriate package, and we're being taxed twice. We're being taxed here and we're being taxed in our home countries, so the countries where we're resident.'

'Michelle': 'I'm supplementing my income with my savings. I definitely didn't come here to go back. I didn't come here to spend my savings, to spend my nest-egg in the US. I didn't come here to sit and do nothing.'

Annika: 'The Eskom expats say they've exhausted all avenues to try and resolve these problems but nothing has changed. So we decided to ask Eskom management for some answers, but we too have gotten nowhere. They said they were either in the Nersa hearings or on leave and nobody else is available to speak to us.'

'Sally': 'Top management is absent. I have hardly seen any of the top managers. We are left to our own devices so there is no decision-making from the top. There is no clear message. There is no direction or planning, which is the biggest issue and if you ask any of the top management, they will admit to that.'

But it's not just management that are absent. At Megawatt Park offices work starts at 8am. But when we had a look round on Wednesday morning the building was almost deserted. . Virtually every floor was unoccupied, and if we didn't know better, it could have been Sunday. Eventually we did spot a few people standing around chatting.

'Sally': 'There's a lot of practices which take place which would never pass anywhere else. Everybody just keeps quiet and allows certain things to happen, because it's always been done that way. Eskom brought in Price Waterhouse Coopers to investigate the claims made by the expatriate employees. Unfortunately PWC's contract doesn't allow them to speak to us about their findings, but the report speaks for itself.'

The audit highlighted areas of concern with the relocation process, benefits and allowances, remuneration and job profiling, and recommended that each point be reviewed by Eskom.

'Michelle': 'The report came out absolutely confirming all the issues that had been raised - overwhelmingly so. And Eskom said, 'We don't think report is valid.''

Annika: 'Are you going to have to pay them back if you leave before your contract is up?'

'Michelle': 'Yes they want you to pay them for the cost of bringing you over, and whatever cost they incurred. In fact people have said, 'Just leave. Why don't you just leave? Go back where you came from?' Wait a minute, 'You came looking for me - I didn't come looking for you. I didn't even know there was an Eskom until you called me. In all honesty, I am going to go home. But I'm not a quitter, and I will not be defeated. I came too far not to walk away empty. I'm not going to do that.''
I loled so hard last night!! BEE at its best.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Watched it last night. I didn't lol. It makes me mad. Filling BEE quotas with people who don't qualify for BEE and sticking up their rates by 35% is unforgivable. Not to mention the row after row of empty desks during office hours.

Eskom could increase capital drastically by firing 95% of their work force. The ****ers serve no purpose anyway.

Mila

Honorary Master
Watched it last night. I didn't lol. It makes me mad. Filling BEE quotas with people who don't qualify for BEE and sticking up their rates by 35% is unforgivable. Not to mention the row after row of empty desks during office hours.

Eskom could increase capital drastically by firing 95% of their work force. The ****ers serve no purpose anyway.
I loled because nothing will come of this.. a brother is a brother. We know this is happening but they will find someway to explain it away.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I saw on the news last night that the ex CEO wants 87 million or his job back.

I almost had an aneurysm. I hope it was a joke.

davemc

Executive Member
Remember that the CEO's objective was not to make electricity efficiently, his sole objective and the basis on which he was measured was Eskom's state of BEE compliance.

But, seriously, I am deeply saddened from hearing that my hard earned tax money is being wasted like this.

In short, how on earth can government sit back and force me to pay toll money for travelling on roads that I already pay for through petrol levy and taxes and residential "rates and taxes" and vat, while they openly flaunt their wealth ill gotten through ludicrous policies.

Government, you can take your 35% increase demands and shove them.
Free electricity for everyone!
Viva the hand that takes, Viva!

rustic

I have never been so disgusted in all my life, electricity is going to cost almost half of what the average house bond is in South Africa due to their inability to run a piss up in a brewery.

Megawatt Park what a joke? No one there seems to do any work.

:sick:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Actually whats really stupid, is the richer folks are just going to take their homes off grid and the middle and lower class are going to suffer the most :(

Nod

Executive Member
Actually whats really stupid, is the richer folks are just going to take their homes off grid and the middle and lower class are going to suffer the most :(
More people will just take themselves off continent when it becomes too expensive to live here.

Mila

Honorary Master
I'm middle class and I'm also going to get the friendly neighbourhood conector to do my electrisity.
Fsk ESKOM. And the municipalities not Paying ESKOM.

Free electrisity for all!! Ubuntu!!! VIVA VIVA!!!!

Hemps

Executive Member
Private business will suffer, guv'ment workers will just get an increase in salary to cope.
I'm just going to have fire my domestic! that's what many people I know are having to do to make up this stuff-up....
She has to feed 5 kids and a sister unemployed...but then again you get what you vote for :(

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Private business will suffer, guv'ment workers will just get an increase in salary to cope.
I'm just going to have fire my domestic! that's what many people I know are having to do to make up this stuff-up....
She has to feed 5 kids and a sister unemployed...but then again you get what you vote for :(
Yup.
Voting is not only a right, but it is a responsibility too. Vote for ****ers and you get what you deserve.

HammerDown

Expert Member
Truth is if we look around us we find this crap all over.....in a sad way it has become the norm.... says a lot about the new South Africa we are building........

Frankie

Executive Member
They believe Eskom is using 'black' foreign employees to meet their BEE targets.
They are using black and white foreign employees in Eskum and many local councils - they employ them on extremely good short term contracts that they just repeatedly renew - I would have no problem with this if it was the plan-B in the event that they cannot get a South African (of any race) to fill the posts.

Last edited:

Nod

Executive Member
They are using black and white foreign employees in Eskum and many local councils - they employ them on extremely good short term contracts that they just repeatedly renew - I would have no problem with this if it was the plan-B in the event that they cannot get a South African (of any race) to fill the posts.
And yet private business can't do the same. A private company gets audited regularly to test for BEE compliance, and will not get away with employing foreigners, and then try to let them count towards BEE/AA.

Ronjay

Expert Member
Now this really p!sses me off. It's not bad enough that the ex-CEO wants to sue the sinking ship that is Eskom for money that will come from citizens, now this BS. Why are none of these c**ts held accountable for the massive hole that they blew in the bottom of said, proverbial sinking ship. But then again, who is more responsible, the oke that made the hole or the oke that hired the oke that made the hole. I think the blame falls squarely on the ANC.

Sapcat

Last I checked Eskom had about 30 000 employees (could be more now). What impact would, I dont know, maby 100 expats have on their BEE number??

Also, dont people do their homework before leaving a country - such dumba$$es.........actually they might just fit right in :)