Eskom has more than 33,000MW available on the grid for first time since early October 2020

TheChamp

Honorary Master
How much of that is based on the fact that companies and residences are going off-grid lol.
The guys have good graphs and stats, I think a good look of the power demand over some time can give light to that, but my feeling is that we are really not going off grid at the pace that can make a noticeable difference, a lot of people are installing solar but very few actually go off grid.

Last edited:

neoprema

Expert Member
The guys have good graphs and stats, I think a good look of the power demand over some can give light to that, but my feeling is that we are really not going off grid at the pace that can make a noticeable difference, a lot of people are installing solar but very few actually go off grid.
Yeah probably right. Look Eskom must be doing something, i mean you can't be THAT incompetent lol.
Once those Power Ships come we're gonna be rocking power all over the place. I expect costs to drop major as well.

Iwojima

Expert Member
How much of that is based on the fact that companies and residences are going off-grid lol.
This is supply/capacity, not demand. Big difference.

As alluded to above the demand is relatively stable, but supply has dropped drastically over the last week.

Also the number of homes/businesses actually going off-grid or supplementing their power requirements via renewables represents a tiny drop in ocean in terms of total demand.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Eskom figures for this evening's peak period

Total Demand: 31 243MW

Eskom Available Capacity: 31 085MW

Eskom utilised 20 Open Cycle Gas Turbines to prevent loadshedding:

Eskom OCGT’s utilised: 14
IPP OCGT’s utilised: 6

Loadshedding soon at the rate they burning diesel :(

upup

Executive Member

Where do they get the diesel from, do you know?

zolly

Expert Member

Ya. It was similar numbers yesterday. We need at least 32/33,000 MW just to get through autumn. Winter is going to be rough.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
We just just made it tonight, if there is no improvement there will probably be loadshedding tomorrow. The diesel tanks is probably nearly empty by now
b4463a32f982a25f6bd980eca2af8b39.jpg

zolly

Expert Member
We just just made it tonight, if there is no improvement there will probably be loadshedding tomorrow. The diesel tanks is probably nearly empty by now
b4463a32f982a25f6bd980eca2af8b39.jpg

I think we might not get load shed. Go look at the Eskom twitter page. Lots of complaints from poor people because they are getting load reduction daily. Seems like Eskom would rather drop the freeloaders.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I think we might not get load shed. Go look at the Eskom twitter page. Lots of complaints from poor people because they are getting load reduction daily. Seems like Eskom would rather drop the freeloaders.
Load reduction has been a thing for a while now, we do get loadshedding despite it. It does make more sense to be strict on the freeloaders since it's now winter and they will be putting even more strain on the infrastructure.

Reactions: air

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yeah no, that's not how that works, load reduction has been happening for a year. It's also not enough to stop load shedding. Just look at the numbers there

Lupus

Honorary Master
Surprisingly the thermal generation has only gone down 1GW since the time we had 33GW. Wonder what other issues there are.

zolly

Expert Member
Yeah no, that's not how that works, load reduction has been happening for a year. It's also not enough to stop load shedding. Just look at the numbers there

So what I meant is that Eskom seems to have become more aggressive with their load reduction program. Especially if you look at the status updates on the Eskom twitter.

Whether that's enough to reduce risk of load shedding I don't know, hence why I said maybe. But yes, you're probably right in that it's not enough to stave off load shedding.

Surprisingly the thermal generation has only gone down 1GW since the time we had 33GW. Wonder what other issues there are.

Unions arguing for impossible increases and going "Oh no, something broke? I wonder how that happened?".

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So what I meant is that Eskom seems to have become more aggressive with their load reduction program. Especially if you look at the status updates on the Eskom twitter.

Whether that's enough to reduce risk of load shedding I don't know, hence why I said maybe. But yes, you're probably right in that it's not enough to stave off load shedding.

Unions arguing for impossible increases and going "Oh no, something broke? I wonder how that happened?".
But it's good enough to save money so that it can be spent where it's needed, Eskom is on the right track on this one, some communities are starting to see that it's a fight they will never win and are negotiating with Eskom to come in and do the audits.

Iwojima

Expert Member
Unlikely that it would make any significant difference unfortunately.

The areas in question, at least from what I've seen so far, make up such a small % of total demand that it is unlikely it would mean the difference between needing to and not needing to loadshed nationally.