Eskom hits back at allegations it secretly implemented stage 6 load-shedding

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Eskom denies secretly launching stage 6 load-shedding

Eskom has hit back at allegations that it quietly implemented Stage 6 load-shedding on Wednesday, 2 June 2021.

This is after energy analyst Ted Blom said that the power utility faced a generating shortfall of 5,136 megawatt (MW), which he said would have required Stage 6 load-shedding for Eskom to handle.

However, in a load-shedding update posted to Twitter, Eskom spokesperson Sikonathi Mantshantsha said that Eskom load-shed 2,267MW during the evening peak on 2 June — much less than Blom’s information would suggest.

Questioned about Blom’s claims, Eskom disputed the accuracy of his information, saying that the peak shortfall on Wednesday was 3,962MW.

furpile

Expert Member
Eskom explained that it has an installed capacity of 3,414MW through its open cycle gas turbine (OCGT) generating units, but due to low diesel levels only 14 were used.
I get really annoyed by statements like this. Using 2 different quantities in a comparison makes the whole thing pointless. How many OCGT units are there in total so that we know what percentage the 14 are contributing? Or just say how many MW of that capacity was used.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Ted Blom has no proof? Where did he get that they were doing 5300?
1623133122138.png
Also 5300 would just be past stage 5, I know he keeps going on about the fact that Eskom says Stage 5 would be up to 5GW, but honestly how does he think they could hit that properly at all? I mean I've seen stage 2 from 2GW to 2.4GW, 2.4GW doesn't mean its' stage 3, it just means at this point they were probably still bringing other areas back up.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I get really annoyed by statements like this. Using 2 different quantities in a comparison makes the whole thing pointless. How many OCGT units are there in total so that we know what percentage the 14 are contributing? Or just say how many MW of that capacity was used.
14 would equal up to 2100MW

Solitude

Executive Member
Just go look at the CityPower twitter to see how many outages there are. Every day. Don't need to go to a higher stage load shedding when the power doesn't come on after the previous load shedding.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Just go look at the CityPower twitter to see how many outages there are. Every day. Don't need to go to a higher stage load shedding when the power doesn't come on after the previous load shedding.
There is a valid reason for this and City Power keep telling users. Especially if you look it's generally the same areas over and over, ones that are overloaded.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Ted Blom has no proof? Where did he get that they were doing 5300?
View attachment 1084887
Also 5300 would just be past stage 5, I know he keeps going on about the fact that Eskom says Stage 5 would be up to 5GW, but honestly how does he think they could hit that properly at all? I mean I've seen stage 2 from 2GW to 2.4GW, 2.4GW doesn't mean its' stage 3, it just means at this point they were probably still bringing other areas back up.
He never does? Still waiting on how he got the numbers for:
Ted Blom: There are over 10,000 corrupt employees at Eskom (OP Mar 20, 2019) - '10k count' and its source unverified

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I agree with Ted Blom. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Eskom is lying through their teeth...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I agree with Ted Blom. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Eskom is lying through their teeth...

For once I actually think Eskom aren't lying to us, the numbers are generally out there for everyone to see these days (albeit a bit delayed).

Ted Blom relies on extremist headlines and sensationalism to stay relevant.

Lupus

Honorary Master
If this was before they had dashboards and their spokesperson publicly showing their data, I'd say maybe. But they are showing us the data now, unless Ted can actually show us where.
He's also an extremist calling 5300 stage 6? When technically its still within stage 5, as Eskom cannot get the load shedding to be exactly 5GW.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
I don't think that to be the case.

In this example I'd say the onus is on Ted to back up his claim, because Eskom published its data and it doesn't remotely reflect what Ted is accusing them off.
But self a proclaimed always right never does, right. Thankfully he and chris yelland has a MyCultFollowing and can induce section bans.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
If this was before they had dashboards and their spokesperson publicly showing their data, I'd say maybe. But they are showing us the data now, unless Ted can actually show us where.
He's also an extremist calling 5300 stage 6?
When technically its still within stage 5, as Eskom cannot get the load shedding to be exactly 5GW.
Queue the old toppies talking rooi gevaar trash from their stoep :unsure: :coffee:

Neuk_

Executive Member
There is a valid reason for this and City Power keep telling users. Especially if you look it's generally the same areas over and over, ones that are overloaded.

This is not rue in our area, certainly from what I have heard, many like ourselves had issues completely unrelated to load shedding that started before or after load shedding.

Chris Symons

On Friday 4 June we had two loadshedding of 2 hours the last from 22h00 until 00h30. This was followed by a 7 hour loadshedding from 04h00 until 11h00. We take our supply directly from Eskom so they cannot blame municipalities for mismanaging loadshedding. They lie, an 11 hour period in 24 hours without power is not stage 2 loadshedding. Something never addressed by Eskom is the fact that the switching gear they use to turn off power for large areas has a limited life based on the number of on/off cycles. Switches this size are not like a domestic light switch designed to be switched on and off regularly, they are heavy duty devices designed to be switched on and off only a couple of times in their installed life. With loadshedding they are being used like a domestic light switch being switched on and off several times per day. These switches will start failing as a consequence of loadshedding. They are very expensive and time consuming to repair or replace resulting in prolonged power outages for residents in affected areas. Eskom once again shoots itself in the foot. They create more expense and maintenance tasks with loadshedding over and above the maintenance they are already unable to do to keep old power stations on line and we have not even discussed their complete inability to bring "new "power stations on line that should have been generating at full capacity well over a decade ago. As far as I am aware they have no plans to build new generation capacity which under normal conditions takes about 15 years to plan and deliver without the cronyism, cader deployment, corruption and political meddling. We are on a hiding to nothing in the near future.

Lupus

Honorary Master
On Friday 4 June we had two loadshedding of 2 hours the last from 22h00 until 00h30. This was followed by a 7 hour loadshedding from 04h00 until 11h00. We take our supply directly from Eskom so they cannot blame municipalities for mismanaging loadshedding. They lie, an 11 hour period in 24 hours without power is not stage 2 loadshedding. Something never addressed by Eskom is the fact that the switching gear they use to turn off power for large areas has a limited life based on the number of on/off cycles. Switches this size are not like a domestic light switch designed to be switched on and off regularly, they are heavy duty devices designed to be switched on and off only a couple of times in their installed life. With loadshedding they are being used like a domestic light switch being switched on and off several times per day. These switches will start failing as a consequence of loadshedding. They are very expensive and time consuming to repair or replace resulting in prolonged power outages for residents in affected areas. Eskom once again shoots itself in the foot. They create more expense and maintenance tasks with loadshedding over and above the maintenance they are already unable to do to keep old power stations on line and we have not even discussed their complete inability to bring "new "power stations on line that should have been generating at full capacity well over a decade ago. As far as I am aware they have no plans to build new generation capacity which under normal conditions takes about 15 years to plan and deliver without the cronyism, cader deployment, corruption and political meddling. We are on a hiding to nothing in the near future.
If you're shed outside of your normal hours, then it's a fault not load shedding. I'm not sure how many times this has to be told to people.