Eskom is proposing new ways for South Africans to pay for electricity

So they can't provide electricity and now want us to pay for something they can't provide! WTF either get the illegal cnt to pay or more people will join the illegal connections and not pay Fokol.

Last edited:
This is my answer to Eskom:

View attachment 1725075

This is exactly what I will do. I need 1 more battery, and I will not need anything from Eskom. Some days my panels generate so much power I could not even use it all if I tried. They can come remove their crap from my property.

Sick of being viewed as a cash cow.
I'm at a point where I'll share my extra capacity with my duet neighbor. I'm just not interested.

Today's comments read like everyone drifted over from News24.
Eskom's principle is fine. Installing and maintaining a grid connection to your premises is expensive. Up to now they could just recuperate that through the /kWh tariff, because consumption was generally directly related to infrastructure costs. For example, a large factory that required a thick grid connection also used a lot of electricity, so paid back the infrastructure cost at a reasonable rate.
What is happening now is that large power users invest in their own sources, but still need the expensive grid connection for a short period during the day or month when their own sources are not sufficient. Their total consumption is a fraction of what it was, so Eskom or the local municipality cannot recuperate their overheads.
They cannot just increase the unit cost of electricity, because it will become unaffordable for clients using Eskom power only.
The issue here should only be the quantum of the fixed cost.

maintain infrastucture - my @@s.

eskom hasn't touched the power lines running along Giel Basson in decades nor the wires in the distrubution box down the road.

they just realise their "sheep" / cashcow is getting less and less and they need to provide free electricity to the masses - who either don't pay or steal power!!

fork eskom!!:mad:

How about No. There is a simple three step plan to get your balance sheet in order, A cut costs, B start charging the free loaders and C get the defaulting municipalities to settle their accounts.

Last edited:
Articles like these are more for the people who currently don't pay. Which in effect causes them to not be able to maintain infrastructure. Can't pay to repair something if you don't have money yourself.
They will have money if they buy it from me for R1 and sell it for R2. There is R1 already to maintain the wire.

Same nonsense repeated in articles over the last year. This only affects Eskom direct customers. People using City Power networks pay a connection charge already and it has literally **** all to do with solar users.

But we need clickbait headlines - so let's pretend it affects only solar users.
I still want to see how they came to that R1000 price.

Last edited:
When I fill up with petrol, I don't have to pay "a fixed fee" for connecting to the pump or having access to the station or any of the back end infrastructure like wells, transport and refining.

This is just a scam and we should resist,
Yeah, the cable in my street hasn't been touched in 100 years.

piggies need more ways to feast?
how about they actually maintain the infrastructure and prevent load shedding and not in the immediate period of the elections or just after.

I got electricity cuts that lasted 3 hours last night, and 2 nights before that, for 4 hours.

On average we have ~8-10 hours without grid electricity per week due to unknown reasons, like clockwork.

I got electricity cuts that lasted 3 hours last night, and 2 nights before that, for 4 hours.

On average we have ~8-10 hours without grid electricity per week due to unknown reasons, like clockwork.
Hmmm, at night, when it's cold and people tend to turn things on that demand power...

Back