Eskom managers want more money – or load shedding may return

akescpt

Honorary Master
these ****ers will be the end of this economy. somewhere somehow someone in government will have to grow a pair and tell this lot to go **** themselves.

wonder where they will spend these millions once the economy is in the shitter...

thechamp

Honorary Master
Scenario 1:
1. Eskom does not increase salaries and give bonuses
2. Unions go on strike
3. Eksom folds, taking the country down with it

Scenario 2:
1. Eskom does increase salaries and give bonuses
2. Unios don't go on strike
3. Eskom folds, taking the country down with it

Scenario 3:
1. Eskom retrenches 60% of its workforce
2. Unions go on strike
3. Eksom doesn't fold, and the country is safe for another year
The only scenario in which there is a positive outcome is to not bow the unions. The fat cat union bosses only care about themselves, not the country or the people who make up the bulk of the union.
Perhaps you need to understand the situation for exactly what it is, it's not the bargaining unit that is in dispute here, your union members and other lowly employees in layman's term.

The bargaining unit has an agreement with Eskom that was signed last year iirc, as the OP says it is senior managers who are in dispute, they are not members of a union, therefore there is no union that is going to strike, senior managers are not the union's favourite people so I doubt there is even sympathy from the unions.

As things stand there is no problem between unions and Eskom, no one must give in on anything to the unions.

grok

Honorary Master
This is just rock-throwing at executive level.

Change my mind..

Last edited:

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
The only scenario in which there is a positive outcome is to not bow the unions. The fat cat union bosses only care about themselves, not the country or the people who make up the bulk of the union.
So much this.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Wait wait wait.

So they went to the CCMA?

What's the basis for their claims? I really want to know, because if it is in their employment contracts that they will get x% increase per annum and a bonus as well, then we're screwed.

Simply saying the workforce got an x% increase and we also want an x% increase does not cut it...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Perhaps you need to understand the situation for exactly what it is, it's not the bargaining unit that is in dispute here, your union members and other lowly employees in layman's term.

The bargaining unit has an agreement with Eskom that was signed last year iirc, as the OP says it is senior managers who are in dispute, they are not members of a union, therefore there is no union that is going to strike, senior managers are not the union's favourite people so I doubt there is even sympathy from the unions.

As things stand there is no problem between unions and Eskom, no one must give in on anything to the unions.
The Unions will have a shytefit if Eskom reduced their staff complement by 20%, not even the required number.

thechamp

Honorary Master
The Unions will have a shytefit if Eskom reduced their staff complement by 20%, not even the required number.
Yeah the crux of the point I was trying to raise is that unions are not in any way affected by this, it seems everyone is sold on the idea that unions are going to strike and cause load shedding if the salary demands are not met, I was just clarifying that.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah the crux of the point I was trying to raise is that unions are not in any way affected by this, it seems everyone is sold on the idea that unions are going to strike nd cause load shedding if the salary demands are not met, I was just clarifying that.
Yeah true on that front, in this specific case the Unions aren't involved...

Swa

Honorary Master
these ****ers will be the end of this economy. somewhere somehow someone in government will have to grow a pair and tell this lot to go **** themselves.

wonder where they will spend these millions once the economy is in the shitter...
Thing is the ANC has created the situation for themselves where it's this pandering that gets them the votes to stay in power. They are fcked no matter which way they go now. The only thing they still have to realise is that it's better for them to be fcked in a functioning economy than for everyone to be fcked in no economy.

wombling

This is a Catch 22.

The pay problem won't go away because next year they will want another raise despite Eskom's performance.
The over-staffing problem wont go away because the ANC need to give unemployed people jobs and the unions want the pay of every member of course.
The debt is beyond fixable - Its now being measured in dollars because the number is so big.

All of the above will result in more load-shedding and the local currency will continue to nose dive. I am really impressed at how resilient the Rand has been over the last 4 years. I expected it to drop like a lead donkey but that hasn't really happened yet.

For those counting on Ramaphosa, well he will do exactly what he did as the deputy president - nothing.

Mosgi

I'd say there is a third option,

which is the smartest.

Mass retrenchments, starting at the most expensive levels of managers.

Next IPP process to be completed and implemented to deal with current shortfalls, mothball coal fired stations not yet effective, recover for scrap and go after those entities and people that kept advising this to be the best course to follow for negligence and breach of fiduciary duty in the case if the directors.

Finally proceed with privatisation, and splits - offer those companies referred to above (Bain, BCG, McKinsey) to lead the projects pro bono, with their top staff and see it to completion. There is significant value in a large power operator on the continent, even more significant if they can lead the continents drive towards a renewable future.

Now, to just get this message over to Freeman Nomvalo.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Yep.

Swa

Honorary Master
This is a Catch 22.

The pay problem won't go away because next year they will want another raise despite Eskom's performance.
The over-staffing problem wont go away because the ANC need to give unemployed people jobs and the unions want the pay of every member of course.
The debt is beyond fixable - Its now being measured in dollars because the number is so big.

All of the above will result in more load-shedding and the local currency will continue to nose dive. I am really impressed at how resilient the Rand has been over the last 4 years. I expected it to drop like a lead donkey but that hasn't really happened yet.

For those counting on Ramaphosa, well he will do exactly what he did as the deputy president - nothing.
You think it's been resilient? In real terms it's worth R6.50/$. Just shows how everything that's happening now has been factored in from the reign of Zuma already.

joshuatree

Expert Member
We were to experience up to 26 days of loadshedding from the last round up to the end of August... The uhm storm is probably coming then.