Eskom may turn off Xmas lights in cities over Xmas

antowan

Honorary Master
Now this would peeve me.

I love Xmas and we have too little Xmas cheer in this country.

The shops hardly play Xmas songs like Jingle Bells anymore, now this. It is sad.

By normalising Xmas in public spaces we are depriving ourselves of some serious magic.

:(

theStudent

Rather have xmas lights turned off in the cities (which i avoid), than my house or traffic lights off in load shedding!!!

ld13

Honorary Master
The shops hardly play Xmas songs like Jingle Bells anymore, now this. It is sad.
By normalising Xmas in public spaces we are depriving ourselves of some serious magic.
What shops do you visit then that don't play them? Mine usually does afaik - Not that I want to be in shops that time of the year.

"Turn off Xmas lights in cities over Xmas" Not the best Energy savings idea I've ever heard of :(

Eskom kan loop vlieg man.

Rather have xmas lights turned off in the cities (which i avoid), than my house or traffic lights off in load shedding!!!
Thats just evil. This just shows me how much reserves Eskom has left - Not enough.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
what gets me is eskom wants us home owners to turn off our lights and geysers etc yet the big companies keep their lights on, i live in cape town and car dealerships leave their lights on all night and thats only car dealerships what about all other shops. stuff eskom we pay for our "units" and already get robbed by eskom. i wont be putting off my geyser.

BTTB

Not that I want to pick on the underprivileged, but there is a Squatter Camp nearby that has overhead lighting that burns 24/7.
Needless to say it is likely the Council's fault as someone should install some Day Night Sensors if it is possible, but the point that gets me most is that whenever there is load shedding that side of the town never gets cut off which is residential, but this side where all the businesses are gets shut off in 2 hourly intervals.
The Corporates have to turn people away as their tills don't work when we have load shedding while the Squatter Camp with it's overhead lighting is burning in full view for everyone to see for miles around.
I can never figure this one out?? :confused:
Must be part of the New South Africa I have yet to figure out.

Last edited:

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
they say they keep the lights on during the day so the people dont steal the cables as they are "live". i wonder if it works for people with illegal connections too.

Praeses

Expert Member
Coming from the company that can't even make sure that the street lamps are switched off during the day. They are a pathetic bunch. They could pay a guy R10 every day to check that all the lights are off. It's cheap and more effective than some bozo sleeping on the job at wherever they turn the lights on/off.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
what gets me is eskom wants us home owners to turn off our lights and geysers etc yet the big companies keep their lights on, i live in cape town and car dealerships leave their lights on all night and thats only car dealerships what about all other shops.
exactly. companies keep their lights on all day and all night. they are the one's which consumes the most electricity.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
yeah eskom can see when we switch on or off our appliances but if the big guys keep their lights on 24/7/365 there is no fluctuation on the grid so they cannot see what they are doing. i say switch those guys off you will save a fortune.

Necuno

Court Jester
Now this would peeve me.

I love Xmas and we have too little Xmas cheer in this country.

:(
it would be a good thing as people would be forced to be together under candle light :)

-they can swop the jingle bells with some good olde pagan celebrating song for end of the year ;)

ld13

Honorary Master
dammit ! - there goes a candle light freebee excuse ;|
lol, I also understood it wrong at first. I wanted to say like "I don’t really need power on Xmas - Won't bother me. We have a braai outside and can still sms without power, so no hard feelings"

:p

Debbie

Banned
Not that I want to pick on the underprivileged, but there is a Squatter Camp nearby that has overhead lighting that burns 24/7.
Needless to say it is likely the Council's fault as someone should install some Day Night Sensors if it is possible, but the point that gets me most is that whenever there is load shedding that side of the town never gets cut off which is residential, but this side where all the businesses are gets shut off in 2 hourly intervals.
The Corporates have to turn people away as their tills don't work when we have load shedding while the Squatter Camp with it's overhead lighting is burning in full view for everyone to see for miles around.
I can never figure this one out?? :confused:
Must be part of the New South Africa I have yet to figure out.
In the interests of the fight against crime let the lamps burn all night.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Coming from the company that can't even make sure that the street lamps are switched off during the day. They are a pathetic bunch. They could pay a guy R10 every day to check that all the lights are off. It's cheap and more effective than some bozo sleeping on the job at wherever they turn the lights on/off.
Arent street lights maintained and operated by local municipalities?

ld13

Honorary Master
Yes, but xmas lights too, right? If they can control xmas lights, they can control street lights. :)
It's not control, it's more like: "You are not allowed to use Xmas lights, you hear". Indirect control maybe.

Praeses

Expert Member
It's not control, it's more like: "You are not allowed to use Xmas lights, you hear". Indirect control maybe.
Oh ok, pretty useless then! Where's cold fusion powerplants when you need em...
I just got the urge to play simcity :p