Eskom plans massive electricity cut in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Eskom plans massive electricity cut in South Africa

South Africa’s state-owned power utility will cut 2,000 megawatts of supply from the national grid because it lost additional generating units overnight.

Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd. had earlier said it would cut 1,000 megawatts through rotational blackouts, known locally as load-shedding, the Johannesburg-based utility said in a statement on its website Friday.

StoneCold

Expert Member
Fan-freaking-tastic!

We'll probably have load shedding the whole of December now.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hmmm about 2000 megawatts you say? There's an entire suburb who owes you billions, cut them first, then work your way through. It's weird how I hardly ever notice them on loadshedding, just the paying municipalities.

lucifir

Expert Member
what happened to the new plants that just came online recently?
As far as I recall they had plenty spare capacity as demand has dropped off a cliff.
So why all the load shedding... must be time to ask for another increase:unsure:

lucifir

Expert Member
Hmmm about 2000 megawatts you say? There's an entire suburb who owes you billions, cut them first, then work your way through. It's weird how I hardly ever notice them on loadshedding, just the paying municipalities.
agreed, they must start with cutting soweto before even contemplating load shedding anywhere else, as they have not paid their bills. Once they pay up, then they can join the rest of the current in the rotation.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
As far as I recall they had plenty spare capacity as demand has dropped off a cliff.
So why all the load shedding... must be time to ask for another increase:unsure:
They are so mismanaged they can't even meet the reduced demand Viva ANC, Viva ANC cabre deployment, Viva

Lupus

Honorary Master
How do they get the 19% increase for three years if we have enough power?

phly

Expert Member
There is no deadlier combo than planned maintenance coinciding with unplanned outages!
Not gonna lie - that single phrase made my day. Like i'm unable to fathom.:ROFL:

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Do share!
I once chatted to a Professional welder. The gent had done work from all over the world. He explained to me that certain pipes had to be welded by a team of two welders simultaneously - one welding the join on the outside and one on the inside. That way the heat gets distributed evenly and the two welds are done on a join with the same expansion.
According to him - his company lost the contract for a job at Medupi to another company - who cut costs by only using one welder at a time. First doing the inside, and then the outside. First operational test they did - the weld popped like a overcooked vienna.