Eskom price increase applications and load-shedding

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Eskom price increase applications and load-shedding

Load-shedding returned to South Africa in October, shortly after Eskom approached the court with a request to increase electricity prices by 16% over the next two years.

Since load-shedding and Eskom price increase applications have coincided in the past, the return of load-shedding sparked theories that Eskom was using the controlled blackouts as a negotiation tool.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah Chris, you may be hesitant to believe that... but so far from past experience, Eskom has engaged in criminal behaviour that endangered the economy of this country so its not a stretch to see them do it again...

Lupus

Honorary Master
It's like the kid who doesn't get a turn at the TV games and would stand there turning the TV off and on. Just to spite the other players.

Peon

Expert Member
I just wish CR would take an iron first approach to Eskom. Eskom has too much wiggle room re unions influence.

The way I see it in summary; CR allows the unions at Eskom free reign to hold the country to ransom which allows things like downgrades, all for political support of the party. He allows the unions to gaff Eskom's potential correction because it must politically inconvenient.

Not that I know much about macro economics, but I would have sold Eskom lock stock and barrel and then deal with the unions. Atleast then ratings agencies will see we serious about tackling and fixing Eskom.

Gazg

The cheek to ask for a hefty price increase! Get your debt recovery plan working first!!!!

Temujin

Executive Member
:giggle:'We won't loadshed sunday cos rwc' cleared all this up for me... power was and is available, they're just 'reminding' people what happens when they don't get their blood money

Last edited:

system32

Expert Member
The cheek to ask for a hefty price increase! Get your debt recovery plan working first!!!!
I have a solution for Soweto and Metro that don't pay.

1) Allow for solar grid tie systems
2) Give profitable feedback rates

Residents will want to be connected as they can make a living of the kWh sold to Eskom.
They will also need a meter to track the usage/feedback - a win-win situation.

Peon

Expert Member

Residents will want to be connected as they can make a living of the kWh sold to Eskom.
Yes but this doesnt cater for corruption. So is a bad idea in their view.

P924

Expert Member

So you assume that people that currently get their electricity for free would be enticed to spend significant amounts of capital to earn small amounts of money generating electricity?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Since load-shedding and Eskom price increase applications have coincided in the past, the return of load-shedding sparked theories that Eskom was using the controlled blackouts as a negotiation tool.
This is nothing new, fcking twat.

Actually, wasn't this established to be the case with the loadshedding we had in 2008 (or thereabout).

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
I hope there is a good attorney representing the country who is able to point these facts out to court. For months no loadshedding needed, but once the court case was announced to extort more money from the public it came back again. This is criminal. This is treason.

system32

Expert Member
So you assume that people that currently get their electricity for free would be enticed to spend significant amounts of capital to earn small amounts of money generating electricity?
With financing they could get free electricity and still earn a few hundred rand per month.

_TrXtR_

“It would be a criminal action by Eskom’s management, directors, and employees if they conspire to shut down power,” -- This chop is an expert? :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

P924

Expert Member
With financing they could get free electricity and still earn a few hundred rand per month.
They would have to be credit worthy. And an area where people don't pay for electricity is probably a risky area to install solar panels...

(I am making my own assumptions now.)

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I hope there is a good attorney representing the country who is able to point these facts out to court. For months no loadshedding needed, but once the court case was announced to extort more money from the public it came back again. This is criminal. This is treason.
What court case?

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
“It is illegal and criminal, and I am hesitant to believe that anything like that is possible,” said Yelland.
because when we think of illegal things being done, eskom is literally the last place we think of.

Swa

Honorary Master
It is illegal and criminal, and I am hesitant to believe that anything like that is possible,” said Yelland.
You don't say... :ROFL: