Eskom says no R1.5 billion cost-cutting

akescpt

Honorary Master
why should he? they can just get a 25% electricity increase every time. sickening. d00se.

Sherbang

Executive Member
I would guess it's not so easy, probably contractual agreements etc. Last thing Eskom needs now is staff striking and resigning

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Brian, nobody is expecting you to kill it entirely.. but rationalise it considerably..

Offices that are in metropolitan areas should not have catering facilities, staff should be purchasing their own food like the majority of private sector plebs.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Why are workers being fed to start with? I don't know of any other job where food provided by the employer is a MUST!

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
I see his point, perks like this work wonders with staff morale and motivation.

But Brian - I don't give a ****.
You don't have staff morale. You have a culture of entitlement.

Crash Project Management 101 - you don't have to be an ******* to get results, but it really helps.
Drop all the perks, and bring them back as they earn them and you get results.

zululami

Banned
If it was part of employment contracts with these employees that they will be fed, it will difficult for Molefe to now backtrack on that, he wasn't the CEO when this agreement was signed... I can already see the Unions waiting on the wings rubbing their hands with glee, waiting for Eskom to slip up so that they can take to the streets and cause havoc!

Species8472

why should he? they can just get a 25% electricity increase every time. sickening. d00se.
Not going to be a problem for too much longer (for us, that is)

Solar power is becoming more efficient and cheaper as we speak and battery tech is also improving.

We are already at the point where you can take yourself off the grid during the summer for cheaper than it costs to stay on the grid (if you do everything yourself, just get an electrician to hook you up)

During winter times you need more panels and a far bigger battery bank, so do a smaller installation to cater for summer time and augment your setup with grid power during the winter :)

I am busy investigating wind turbines, really tempted to put one up as well. During the winter when you don't have sun you will most likely have wind!

P.S. same goes for large companies, the bigger your company the more roof space you have

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Nothing will change... the rape of the SA taxpayer will continue...

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
If it was part of employment contracts with these employees that they will be fed, it will difficult for Molefe to now backtrack on that, he wasn't the CEO when this agreement was signed... I can already see the Unions waiting on the wings rubbing their hands with glee, waiting for Eskom to slip up so that they can take to the streets and cause havoc!
Pretty sure that is going to happen regardless.

No doubt they'll be toy-toying against bad working conditions come strike season...

Last edited:

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Nothing against feeding the workforce but -

1 - make it known that perks will be stripped away if they don't do as they are told.
2 - deliver the damn meals so lunch is not 2 to 3 hours.
3 - R200+ a head for a meal is ludicrous and should not be tolerated.

durbandave

Google - one of the most productive,innovative, profitable companies.
Eskom - one of the most unproductive, backward thinking , unprofitable companies

Like a game of spot the difference

Cant possibly be to stop the staff from striking because they been doing that already

Sl8er

Executive Member
Google - one of the most productive,innovative, profitable companies.
Eskom - one of the most unproductive, backward thinking , unprofitable companies

Like a game of spot the difference
Yup, read up to:

If you look at some of the best companies to work for in the world, like Google for example, Google provides gourmet meals.”
and stopped. Thought to myself, "Self...this guy did not just compare eskom to Google, did he?" :wtf:

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
So according to this clown the EMPLOYEES are the most important asset to ESCUM.
"WRONG"
No, CUSTOMERS are the most important assets and always will be.
The employees are the vehicle to provide a service for the PAYING customers.
Without CUSTOMERS there would be no EMPLOYEES.
Must be africa logic or am I missing something here.
This is the same person that was asked to leave TRANSNET and now look at the
shambles that was left behind.
Transnet pension fund is bankrupt.

Last edited:

Sherbang

Executive Member
So according to this clown the EMPLOYEES are the most important asset to ESCUM.
"WRONG"
No, CUSTOMERS are the most important assets and always will be.
The employees are the vehicle to provide a service for the PAYING customers.
Without CUSTOMERS there would be no EMPLOYEES.
Must be africa logic or am I missing something here.
This is the same person that was asked to leave TRANSNET and now look at the
shambles that was left behind.
Transnet pension fund is bankrupt.
Without EMPLOYEES there would be no CUSTOMERS

I understand that people are unhappy but if you are an employee and you have an employment contract that includes meals, your employer can't just change their mind without inviting legal action. Think of yourself, you wouldn't be happy if your employer could just change your employment contract, taking away perks that were used to entice you in the first place.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
I'm also sure their contract also says they wont take 3 hour lunches or trash the place every time there is a strike.
When I go to work I don't get lunch.

Odracir

Expert Member
Without EMPLOYEES there would be no CUSTOMERS

I understand that people are unhappy but if you are an employee and you have an employment contract that includes meals, your employer can't just change their mind without inviting legal action. Think of yourself, you wouldn't be happy if your employer could just change your employment contract, taking away perks that were used to entice you in the first place.
+1 exactly, if it was any of these forum members whose benefits are been taken away, they will complain so no different with Eskom employees. I understand these same employees goes on strike every year but that is just how things work in South Africa.
Unfortunately the majority of SA citizens here don't have the luxury of choice nor the money to exercise that choice (if it exists).

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The real reason why they won't cut the food bill is because some ANC cadre owns the company that supplies the food. Pretty obvious.

fruitbat

Expert Member
i worked for a company where the lunch was free... the value of the lunch ticket was +/- 25bucks a few years ago... Perhaps break the cost down into price per head and at all the job grades. The benefit the company got from us eating in the canteen was that we didnt go out to get food, and we generally spoke about work at lunch - so they didnt lose total productivity? Of course - if this happens at eskom is a whole different story?

My 2 cents would be - removing the food subsidy is silly. however do they provide 5* meals to the guys at the top, and bread and butter to the workers? That may be the thing to investigate?