Eskom says no to skilled engineers and technicians

access

Executive Member
heard a few stories like francois from ex eskom people. face to face mostly.

but nooooo, it does not happen, "officially" anyway.

sorry to hear it francois, all the strength with your fight ahead.

thechamp

Honorary Master
heard a few stories like francois from ex eskom people. face to face mostly.

but nooooo, it does not happen, "officially" anyway.

sorry to hear it francois, all the strength with your fight ahead.
Firstly understand that retrenchment has a properly spelt out definition in the labour relations act. Secondly understand that there is nothing of this nature that can happen in secret at a massive organisation like Eskom. His story did not make sense in Eskom's context hence I questioned him and the other lady who had a friend who claims to have been retrenched.

You don't need to have a friend at Eskom to know when something of this nature is happening, same with Telkom and other big companies. We did not need friends at Multichoice for us to know that they have started the section 189 process, it is a transparent process that include all the relevant stakeholders. Francois situation resembles a situation of medical incapacity in the middle of a retrenchment process.

access

Executive Member
Firstly understand that retrenchment has a properly spelt out definition in the labour relations act. Secondly understand that there is nothing of this nature that can happen in secret at a massive organisation like Eskom. His story did not make sense in Eskom's context hence I questioned him and the other lady who had a friend who claims to have been retrenched.

You don't need to have a friend at Eskom to know when something of this nature is happening, same with Telkom and other big companies. We did not need friends at Multichoice for us to know that they have started the section 189 process, it is a transparent process that include all the relevant stakeholders. Francois situation resembles a situation of medical incapacity in the middle of a retrenchment process.

oh yeah thats right, everything is done correctly and above board. i mean, eskom and this government is the shining example of honesty and all things good, until jesus comes. of course they will do everything by the book. nothing they have done in the past or recently or are currently doing will make us mistrust them, right?

you mentioned telkom. i know ex telkom people(family) who were told to take the golden handshake because they will never be promoted because of "new requirements". decades worth of experience gone..

Sollie

Executive Member
oh yeah thats right, everything is done correctly and above board. i mean, eskom and this government is the shining example of honesty and all things good, until jesus comes. of course they will do everything by the book. nothing they have done in the past or recently or are currently doing will make us mistrust them, right?

you mentioned telkom. i know ex telkom people(family) who were told to take the golden handshake because they will never be promoted because of "new requirements". decades worth of experience gone..
Comrat, the system is working exactly as designed ...

thechamp

Honorary Master

If it ever happens that they don't do things by the book, you can bet your last rand that Solidarity and other unions would be all over them like a bad rash, (note the developments at Multichoice)

There is really no room for creative stories as far as the retrenchment process is concerned in big companies like Eskom, anyone who does not realise this is really trying too hard.

access

Executive Member
If it ever happens that they don't do things by the book, you can bet your last rand that Solidarity and other unions would be all over them like a bad rash, (note the developments at Multichoice)

There is really no room for creative stories as far as the retrenchment process is concerned in big companies like Eskom, anyone who does not realise this is really trying too hard.
delusional

thechamp

Honorary Master
what in the world makes you believe due process is followed at any of these failing SOEs?

every single thing points to the opposite.

but no, you blindly believe in some wakanda kak
I have just explained it to you nice and slowly in my previous post, instead of responding to the post you called me delusional. Why don't you go back to that post and see why U say due process us followed when it comes to big organisations like Eskom?

Perhaps let's engage like grown ups instead of calling each other names? I will again explain to you why due process is followed in retrenchment processes and what happens when it is not, again please try to respond with something more constructive to the discussion than calling me delusional.

access

Executive Member
I have just explained it to you nice and slowly in my previous post, instead of responding to the post you called me delusional. Why don't you go back to that post and see why U say due process us followed when it comes to big organisations like Eskom?

Perhaps let's engage like grown ups instead of calling each other names? I will again explain to you why due process is followed in retrenchment processes and what happens when it is not, again please try to respond with something more constructive to the discussion than calling me delusional.
so your arguement is look at multichoice? lol.

were talking about eskom here.

do you just ignore all they are doing and pretend they are doing everything correctly? like a delusion

thechamp

Honorary Master
Big corporates such as Eskom likes to refer to themselves as not only businesses but corporate citizens, what this means is that they not only have a responsibility to their shareholders but rather the greater society at large, if you are employed by one you will know of all the trainings they send you two where you are supposed to live their culture that is itself in line with the general rule of law and the constitution.

While a small company owned by an.uncle employing his children and nephews can get away with a lot of things that goes against labour and even the constitution, these big corporate citizens cannot, doing that to them could have dire consequences for their image as well as their bottom line, the management is entrusted by the shareholders to follow the law to the letter, the manager in turn impart this on us the lowly workers so as not to damage the reputation of the company.

Retrenchments when they happen are done in a way that are is compliant with the applicable laws, Labour unions, ccma and the labour courts are the vanguard of the workers in this regard. At Access and Sons cc Access can just wake up in a bad mood and fire everyone, no clever workers who are aware of their rights, no unions, no shareholders to worry about, it's Access company and his word is final.

Not so easy if you are a giant corporate, everything you do is scrutinized, you even have to go to great lengths to dismiss an employee who has done something wrong. Retrchenchments have to follow the necessary process, the unions are part of this every step of the way up until the end, do something wrong and the process is halted, as it has happened at Multichoice.

That is a mouthful I know so go through it and engage or ignore it, that's your own choice. In short don't go around believing people telling you they came to work one morning and were retrenched because they are white.

Last edited:

thechamp

Honorary Master
so your arguement is look at multichoice? lol.

were talking about eskom here.

do you just ignore all they are doing and pretend they are doing everything correctly? like a delusion
Unlike state capture where you would have ministers and the government looking the other way when looting happens unions are not in the culture of just sitting by and doing nothing when they feel workers are treated unfairly.

https://www.politicsweb.co.za/news-and-analysis/multichoice-retrenchment-stopped-for-now--ictu

https://www.itweb.co.za/content/WnxpEv4aOKQ7V8XL

access

Executive Member
Unlike state capture where you would have ministers and the government looking the other way when looting happens unions are not in the culture of just sitting by and doing nothing when they feel workers are treated unfairly.

https://www.politicsweb.co.za/news-and-analysis/multichoice-retrenchment-stopped-for-now--ictu

https://www.itweb.co.za/content/WnxpEv4aOKQ7V8XL

so can i post a story of a cop catching a criminal and then proclaim there are no criminals walking around ...lol

thechamp

Honorary Master
so can i post a story of a cop catching a criminal and then proclaim there are no criminals walking around ...lol
You can do anything you want, you can make up any story you want, the challenge always come when you have to sell your story to people as a true and factual story. It usually falls apart as soon as questions are raised.

Sollie

Executive Member
You can do anything you want, you can make up any story you want, the challenge always come when you have to sell your story to people as a true and factual story. It usually falls apart as soon as questions are raised.
In that case, as per you theory of operation, what happened with in the case of the black US citizens ex-pats appointed at Eskom?