• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

Eskom to approach courts to have NERSA's tariff decision set aside

Lupus

Honorary Master
They are still gunning for 19.9%. Here's a hint Eskom fek off and start culling your excessive expenditure, you cannot keep fleecing the public as once that is slowly running out. People are cutting back their electrical usage dramatically.

spiff

Expert Member
if they win this case then who's going to stop them?

busy installing gas backup for solar geyser and for stove / heating. next will be solar for lighting.

Temujin

Expert Member
if they win this case then who's going to stop them?

busy installing gas backup for solar geyser and for stove / heating. next will be solar for lighting.
I was wondering at what price it becomes cheaper to run a generator 24/7(even with our ridiculous petrol prices):D

spiff

Expert Member
I was wondering at what price it becomes cheaper to run a generator 24/7(even with our ridiculous petrol prices):D
we're getting there. heard my neighbour test running his generator last night. that reminds me I better test my UPS for my tv & emergency lights :(

Sl8er

Executive Member
The action would represent Eskom’s first-ever legal challenge of the regulator’s decision. It follows Nersa’s decision to grant Eskom a 5.23% increase from April 1, which Mabuza said was “not cost reflective”. The utility applied for an increase of 19.9% as part of a one-year revenue application.

Nersa’s made its determination in December following nationwide public hearings, at which stakeholders argued strongly against Eskom receiving a double-digit hike, owing to growing evidence of corruption and inefficiency at the utility.

However, following the appointment of a new board in January, Eskom questioned the basis for the decision, which was well below the 12% it felt should have been granted at a minimum. It also indicated that it would seek to engage with the regulator once it had fully studied the record of decision.
Just to confirm what we always knew/thought:
Applies for 19.9% actually only "needs" 12%

EDIT:

He stressed, too, that he took no pleasure in the action, but added: “I have to advance and protect and promote Eskom’s interest”.
Yeah exactly. Fck South Africa.
eskom Über Alles.

Last edited:

Temujin

Expert Member
we're getting there. heard my neighbour test running his generator last night. that reminds me I better test my UPS for my tv & emergency lights :(
So was looking... seems around 9.7kWh in 1 litre of petrol, call it 165c/kWh @ R16/litre, city power prepaid ranges from 113c to 169c... so yeah, getting there, another one or two increases like this and average joe can just skip solar setup costs etc, and just run generators 24/7 and 'save'(its already cheaper in you're a heavy user)

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
And then these arseholes want you to have a generator license... The mind boggles with the logic of these utter morons.

spiff

Expert Member
So was looking... seems around 9.7kWh in 1 litre of petrol, call it 165c/kWh @ R16/litre, city power prepaid ranges from 113c to 169c... so yeah, getting there, another one or two increases like this and average joe can just skip solar setup costs etc, and just run generators 24/7 and 'save'(its already cheaper in you're a heavy user)
getting close now...however I still prefer solar. might need a "windpomp" for my pool :D

BTTB

I have never been more anti parastatals in my life than now. What a bunch of incompetent wealth destroyers.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when my debit order with The City of Cape Town collected two months of electricity yesterday of around R11000.00

Solar, wind, whatever....on my horizon, fsck these baastids, bunch of s****s.
Now you must fork out the cost of that installation of between R100 and R200K.
Its fine for the big corporates who take it off as a business expense, business people like ourselves have to work flipping hard to make that money.

Thought our Government was there to help us. Seems these days they are there to rob us, just look at the price of fuel and how much of that is just taxation and levies.
I suspect the huge ongoing cost of Medupi and Kusile has drained Eskom. Each year blends into the next and to think they have only one or two generators functioning so far.

You read the news in the morning and its simply depressing. Like the recent Pelindaba scare, Nuclear and BEE should not be in the same sentence.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Sorry BTTB that you got the memo only now, but I realized this government was out to rob me as far back as 2003.
What has actually drained Eskom is all the looting by the Guptas with their over-priced coal. I think that was far worse, and all the tender irregularities for Medupi and Kusile which cost 10x the price.

BTTB

Sorry BTTB that you got the memo only now, but I realized this government was out to rob me as far back as 2003.
What has actually drained Eskom is all the looting by the Guptas with their over-priced coal. I think that was far worse, and all the tender irregularities for Medupi and Kusile which cost 10x the price.
I suppose we were living in denial, saw the memo but didn't think it would happen.

On our local parastatal front, the huge cost trend started with the new Valuation Roll of 2000 for properties in Cape Town and everything else followed with it.

How are people surviving through all this.
Our kids cannot find jobs and even if they had one still can't afford to buy their own home.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
I suppose we were living in denial, saw the memo but didn't think it would happen.

On our local parastatal front, the huge cost trend started with the new Valuation Roll of 2000 for properties in Cape Town and everything else followed with it.

How are people surviving through all this.
Our kids cannot find jobs and even if they had one still can't afford to buy their own home.
I myself, like many others, are surviving by having to cut down to the bare minimum.

spiff

Expert Member
glad I spent money on reducing my dependency on eskum when the first round of k@k hit the fan in 2008 - despite all the increases my bill is still below R500 a month and that's with a pool pump.

richjdavies

So was looking... seems around 9.7kWh in 1 litre of petrol, call it 165c/kWh @ R16/litre
Close but not quite. That's how much heat you'd get out of you burned it.

Unfortunately generators only turn about 1/4 of that into electricity. So more like R6/kWh. That's why Eskom doesn't like running it's diesel generators!

At their most efficient - i.e. peak, peak efficiency... You might be able to get 50% out as 'work'. This is also why Diesel engines are more efficient than 'otto/petrol' engines as they have a higher compression ratio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_efficiency#Engine_cycle_efficiency

Not all energy is created equally you see.

Last edited: