Eskom Union wins right to strike

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=5528121

A union representing thousands of workers at South African utility Eskom has won the right to begin a strike, which could disrupt power supply and hurt industry and mines during the Soccer World Cup.

The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said it had been granted a certificate of non-resolution of the wage dispute with Eskom, which under the country's laws allows the union to start a strike if its members agree.

NUM spokesman Lesiba Seshoka said Eskom had called for a crisis meeting which was currently taking place.

Analysts see the threat of a strike as a union negotiating tool and do not expect the labour action to go ahead in Africa's biggest economy. - Reuters

DJ...

Banned
And so goes NUM's promise not to strike during the world cup. Predictable, really...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Surely the court could find that it is not in the public interest for them to strike right now and order them to delay the strike by a month or two?

I mean is that not common sense?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Surely the court could find that it is not in the public interest for them to strike right now and order them to delay the strike by a month or two?

I mean is that not common sense?

It would be but justice is blind, if they have the right to strike then they have the right, soccer world cup or no. A different ruling would actually undermine the rule of law.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
It would be but justice is blind, if they have the right to strike then they have the right, soccer world cup or no. A different ruling would actually undermine the rule of law.

Courts often take the public interest into account... Or at least those courts that know anything about law and are not just blindly following ruling party policy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_interest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_policy_(law)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_good

killadoob

Honorary Master
Not during the world cup though!!!!!

That was agreed by all parties, no burning shyte either until it's finished.

Alchemist

Expert Member
Eskom won't allow strike

Johannesburg - Eskom workers will not be allowed to strike, even if the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) issues a non-resolution certificate, Eskom's human resources head said on Thursday.

Bhabhalazi Bulunga said the mediation process between Eskom and the three unions representing workers at the power utility - the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), Solidarity and the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) - was still ongoing on Thursday.

By late Thursday afternoon they were still in a meeting at the CCMA, attempting to resolve their differences. This followed the issuing of a non-resolution certificate earlier on Thursday.

"Eskom would like to stress that a certificate of non-resolution would not mean that unions could call a protected strike at Eskom,as has been suggested," said Bulunga.

"Eskom has been declared an essential service, and strikes at Eskom are thus prohibited."

He said the fact that strikes were not allowed was reaffirmed by a High Court interdict obtained by Eskom on May 25.

On Monday evening Eskom made a wage increase offer of eight percent.

The company also offered a 5.6% increase on certain allowances as well as a pay-out of R12 000 to all employees in two equal instalments.

The trade unions rejected the offer and demanded an increase of nine percent and a housing allowance of R4 000 per month.

Bulunga said if a certificate of non-resolution was issued, the next stage in the process for an essential service was that either party could refer the matter to arbitration.

"If a final certificate of non-resolution is issued, Eskom intends to follow that course. An arbitrator, whose decision would be binding on both Eskom and the unions, would then be appointed."

He said Eskom remained hopeful that an agreement could still be reached.

http://www.fin24.com/Business/Eskom-wont-allow-strike-20100624

Ricard

Expert Member
Eskom workers WON the right to strike?... you have to WORK before you can down-tools to start with!

Alestorm

Expert Member
Eskom workers WON the right to strike?... you have to WORK before you can down-tools to start with!

I think to be fair Eskom's workers probably do work quite hard for their meagre salaries, it's management that tells them what to do. Workers aren't planning, or failing to plan, for future power usage.

stix

Expert Member
I don't see what the issue is - bar the SWC.

Management just awarded themselves 9 Bar for raising prices and renegotitaing one contract, coupled with another 12 Bar on SWC tickets.

If i worked for them i would be pissed as well.

BBSA

Honorary Master
I think to be fair Eskom's workers probably do work quite hard for their meagre salaries, it's management that tells them what to do. Workers aren't planning, or failing to plan, for future power usage.

Do you have any figures on how much the workers actually earns, I remember reading that they actually do not earn to badly in comparison with the rest of SA.

Last edited:

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master

Agree. My brother in law works for Eskom (senior engineer) and up till 2yrs back he got a raw deal. Its still a legacy industry (like Yskor) were the unschooled population where guaranteed a job. Take one look at Danville as a prime example (ex-Yskor tappetville).

Albereth

Honorary Master

Add in some free meals, free medical, and free accommodation and it gets quite excessive. Especially if they throw the food around like they did at Medupi.