Eskom wants R1.8 billion for staff bonuses

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I also wonder if this move isn't timed to try do an end run around the new ceo in terms of the bonuses.

Reactions: ES1

Kosmik

Honorary Master
First directive from new ceo: NO BONUSES until we can keep the lights on.

/me wishfull thinking.

Radorn

The article is a little light on any details.

Who is asking for this? The workers, unions, executive, or random anonymous source?

Iwojima

Expert Member
The article is a little light on any details.

Who is asking for this? The workers, unions, executive, or random anonymous source?
Extremely light on details.

Can "Staff Writer" please provide their source for this? As far as I'm aware Eskom does not pay bonuses in a year where load shedding occurs.

Iwojima

Expert Member
So what you're saying is they've only had 2 years of bonuses in 13 years... Bwahaha
Not at all. I have family who work there. I believe the "no bonus if we loadshed" rule was introduced in 2016.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not at all. I have family who work there. I believe the "no bonus if we loadshed" rule was introduced in 2016.
So they've had no bonuses since, cause we've only had 2 years of no load shedding in 13 years.

Iwojima

Expert Member
So they've had no bonuses since, cause we've only had 2 years of no load shedding in 13 years.
I'm 100% sure no bonuses have been paid in at least the last 2 financial years.
I stand to be corrected (and I will double check with them) but I believe the last bonuses paid were for the end of the 2015/2016 financial year.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I stand to be corrected (and I will double check with them) but I believe the last bonuses paid were for the end of the 2015 financial year.
Seems the unions won unless it's only certain people who didn't get bonuses.

Iwojima

Expert Member
Seems the unions won unless it's only certain people who didn't get bonuses.
The R10k mentioned was an "ex gratia" payment negotiated by the unions for all non-managerial employees as part of their annual increase negotiations.

I believe this was paid as a sweetener when the unions did not get their proposed increases. Strictly speaking it was not a bonus as it was not tied to individual performance but I'll grant you its still money for jam.

In any event I'd really like to see the source for this article.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I stand to be corrected (and I will double check with them) but I believe the last bonuses paid were for the end of the 2015/2016 financial year.
I find this hard to believe. I also have some acquaintances who work there. Will get the 4-1-1.

ConfusedR

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the ANC and all the ANC voters for the perfect handling of Eskom and all other SOEs. You have taken, which was once seen, as the 1st world country of Africa, to another shithole country of Africa.

Grant

Honorary Master
i take a slightly different view to most on this.

the staff at the bottom end of the pay scale have no part in any decision making process, they are the one's that need the money most and will land up being unfairly punished.

anybody in middle management up - R0.00 bonus, no matter what department.
this may serve to keep upper management under constant watch from below

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

the staff at the bottom end of the pay scale have no part in any decision making process, they are the one's that need the money most and will land up being unfairly punished.

Ultimately the entire company is practically bankrupt and unable to provide the service. Regardless of a person's role within the company there is no money for bonuses... The conversation stops there in my opinion.

Knyro

PhD in Everything

You commie liberal you. :p

Venomous

Honorary Master
I vote no bonuses for anyone higher paid than the techies in the field until all power generation is working 100%. Further more no bonuses or leave for anyone working on the completion of pending power plants...

TribbleZA

Honorary Master

I agree with you. Those that go out at all hours to fix problems, do the heavy and dangerous work, spend hours of overtime trying to fix legacy issues that should have been part of a maintenance program, etc - they are the ones who should get increases and bonuses. No one with Manager in the title should as they are already earning a lot more than those who do the work below them. Managers should only get if Eskom is doing well - like what happens in most businesses.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
I vote no bonuses for anyone higher paid than the techies in the field until all power generation is working 100%. Further more no bonuses or leave for anyone working on the completion of pending power plants...
You cannot take the leave away though - tired people cause accidents and major problems. They need to put more people on those projects and reduce some of the people's hours to ensure they get adequate rest.