Eskom wants R1.8 billion for staff bonuses

thechamp

Honorary Master
Are the ones at the bottom end not the ones that sabotage power stations? How many of the 20k excess staff sitting on their asses all day are on the bottom end?
How many Eskom workers does it take to sabotage a power station?

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
I agree with you. Those that go out at all hours to fix problems, do the heavy and dangerous work, spend hours of overtime trying to fix legacy issues that should have been part of a maintenance program, etc - they are the ones who should get increases and bonuses. No one with Manager in the title should as they are already earning a lot more than those who do the work below them. Managers should only get if Eskom is doing well - like what happens in most businesses.
Some of those do these jobs deliberately poorly because they know where their bread is buttered. Eskom the posterchild for 'transformation' is corrupt through all levels.

Milano

Honorary Master
If you placed ISIS in charge of Eskom and you recruited your workforce through ISIS then when they 'request' bonuses you sure as hell make sure you pay those bonuses irrespective of dismal performance. Too late in the game to even think about foreign concepts like accountability, affordability, performance, and so forth.

thechamp

Honorary Master
One. Bolt.
Good to know, because too many cooks spoil the broth, I would imagine 20 000 workers trying to sabotage a power station would not result in a very successful sabotage, it would go against the very principles of sabotage.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I wonder what de Ruyter's day will be like tomorrow? Will NUM be waiting at the gate? How will Twitter react to him during this current load-shedding cycle? Will he be pestered with bonuses?

Will he actually get to do his real job tomorrow?

koeks525

Expert Member
Serious question: who is to blame for all the failures that are occuring? Is it not the employees who don't know wtf they are doing?
Top-management is to blame for the energy crisis we face today. It is their fault for exercising poor leadership and bad decision making. They are the ones that hold the keys to the kingdom. Employees simply do what they are told to do.

If it were me, I would allow employees to get their bonuses, and it ends there. Top management should not get any bonuses till the energy crisis is resolved. I am pretty sure top management and government were warned about this energy crisis we face today as well as given recommendations in the early 2000s. They made horrid decisions which led up to what we face today.

Peon

Expert Member
Hmmm, lets see...

Ok R1.8 Billion is wanted for bonuses.. There's no funds available anywhere to handle such a payout. However it is wanted. The machine(Eskom) is not profitable and hasnt been for meany years. However bonuses are wanted. There is no clear or logical way whatsoever to provide this bonus. However it is wanted.

By virtue of simple mathematics one could deduce that whoever is asking for this bonus is on crack and off their ffffffff'ing minds!

Methods to madness exist, so if this article is not fake news based then the people wanting/asking for the bonus might know something we do not. That or the guy in the Barney suit hot-boxed himself at the party.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Who happens to be the ultimate decision-makers within the organisation.
Exco don't check that the work is being done. Yes they approve changes and certain expenses - but management sees to the day to day running of departments / workforces. Each department is responsible for their workloads. If the people aren't performing and management aren't controlling the work - I think that is where the fault begins. But yes - it goes all the way up because exco should take action if managers are not performing and keeping their projects on schedule.

HendrieV

Eskom wants R1.8 billion for staff bonuses

Eskom wants to pay R1.8 billion in performance bonuses, despite the company’s dismal financial situation and its inability to keep the lights on.

In recent years Eskom has become the poster child of state capture and failed state-owned enterprises, and is now the biggest risk to the South African economy.
This morning I browsed the news on internet, read this and told my wife we must get ready as load shedding was imminent. At 0605 am the lights went out.

deesef

Responsibility for the power supply problems sit squarely on 4 pillars:
1. Government who purposely hijacked the system to enrich themselves and their cronies

2. Management who too willingly supported the corrupt system and filled their own pockets.

3. Unions who gladly jumped onto the band wagon and kept squeezing the system. They get their cut, so uck the rest.

4. Droves of unqualified staff who gladly accepted jobs that they are not trained to do, are not willing to be trained and who gladly accept their fat paychecks, while sitting around picking their noses.

R13...

Honorary Master
Headline makes it sound like they're asking for money from an external agency for bonuses. Regardless you don't pay bonuses when you can't even cover your operating expenses.

Fjorko

Expert Member
If only Eskom worked as well (as a unit) as this choir. There is beauty yet in this country.....

lumeer

Expert Member
These bonuses may be intended to retain crirical technical staff. I knew an Eskom engineer who regularly had to travel to power stations all over the country to help fix and maintain them when trouble occurred. He would sometimes be phoned up in the middle of the night, including over weekends, and be asked to urgently drive out to some power station in Mpumalanga or some place because of some equipment failure. It's not the fault of the engineers that the power stations are being inadequately maintained and run harder and longer than they're meant to.

wingnut771

Executive Member
These bonuses may be intended to retain crirical technical staff. I knew an Eskom engineer who regularly had to travel to power stations all over the country to help fix and maintain them when trouble occurred. He would sometimes be phoned up in the middle of the night, including over weekends, and be asked to urgently drive out to some power station in Mpumalanga or some place because of some equipment failure. It's not the fault of the engineers that the power stations are being inadequately maintained and run harder and longer than they're meant to.
then add rocky-coal-sand into the mix, that's where the sabotage is, arrest those people, oh wait, it's eskom management. I think a few members of the public should lay criminal charges against the board of eskom for sabotage (OUTA where are you?), they're are the ones insisting on BEE-man-in-the-middle 100% markup coal contracts.