Eskom wants R1.8 billion for staff bonuses

Iwojima

Expert Member
So reading this it seems, bonuses are payed out as part of conditions of service for bargaining unit (union members) and the application is for employees who are not bargaining unit i.e management.
The way I read it is that management also receive a 13th cheque, however they have the ability to structure the amount received in that "13th month" based on their overall cost to company.

chromedome

Expert Member
The way I read it is that management also receive a 13th cheque, however they have the ability to structure the amount received in that "13th month" based on their overall cost to company.
So if they're overpaid no bonus then ?

thechamp

Honorary Master
Peddling lies is an irresponsible thing to do, people should show some restraint.

j4ck455

Executive Member
As far as I understand it (info from an Eskom employee) 13th cheques have always formed part of the total remuneration package. These are not performance based but rather form a part of the individual's total cost to company per year.
That is probably standard business practice for most companies (public and private), however the forked tongue speak "equivalent to a 13th cheque" is enough to suggest that along with some truth there is also a pack of lies.

The question that needs to be answered by eSkommel, is why there appear to have been separate submissions to NERSA for monthly salaries and then for ("equivalent to") 13th cheques instead of one submission for total remuneration.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
I'm 100% sure no bonuses have been paid in at least the last 2 financial years.
I stand to be corrected (and I will double check with them) but I believe the last bonuses paid were for the end of the 2015/2016 financial year.
Come on, can't you offer a reference for this "certainty" of yours.

I'm confident that you're wrong, but will wait for your references.
LOL

Product of the ANC dumbed down education.

Iwojima

Expert Member
LOL

Product of the ANC dumbed down education.
Are you ok, champ? You seem to be struggling to deliver anything but insults lately.

You carry on playing the man instead of the ball though. The rest of us will have an actual discussion.

stormiezzz

Iwojima

Expert Member
And why would an application for a 13th cheque have to be made if it is a contractual obligation by Eskom by means of employment contract? I'll tell you why, because it does not state that a 13th cheque is guaranteed because it is considered a performance bonus. How stupid do you think the public in general are?
Let's be clear first off: No "application" was made for a 13th cheque. NERSA does not determine Eskom's remuneration policy.

With that aside: MYPD stands for Multi Year Price Determination. This is a process whereby an application is made to NERSA by Eskom to increase tariffs over a 3 year period. When making such an application there is a laundry list of information/factors that must be provided to the decision making body with regards to income/expenditure (including salaries) to justify any possible increase in tariff. NERSA's role here is take these factors into account and rule on whether the tariff increase is justified and, crucially, how much of an increase is allowed.

What the 2nd last paragraph of the statement above claims is that NERSA, in their calculation of allowable tariff hikes, misinterpreted information pertaining to contractual remuneration costs (13th cheques specifically) and did not did not factor these into the tariff determination. Simply put: operational costs were understated leading to lesser tariff increase being granted.

LaraC

Honorary Master
Wow! A wage bill of R 1,8 billion per month. :eek:

No wonder they have financial difficulties.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Eskom wants to pay R1.8 billion in performance bonuses
They've earned it. That level of unprecedented performance certainly deserves some kind of reward.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Let's be clear first off: No "application" was made for a 13th cheque. NERSA does not determine Eskom's remuneration policy.

With that aside: MYPD stands for Multi Year Price Determination. This is a process whereby an application is made to NERSA by Eskom to increase tariffs over a 3 year period. When making such an application there is a laundry list of information/factors that must be provided to the decision making body with regards to income/expenditure (including salaries) to justify any possible increase in tariff. NERSA's role here is take these factors into account and rule on whether the tariff increase is justified and, crucially, how much of an increase is allowed.

What the 2nd last paragraph of the statement above claims is that NERSA, in their calculation of allowable tariff hikes, misinterpreted information pertaining to contractual remuneration costs (13th cheques specifically) and did not did not factor these into the tariff determination. Simply put: operational costs were understated leading to lesser tariff increase being granted.
I believe eSkommel twitted that it was equivalent to a 13th cheque.

You cannot be sure of any of the things you are posting in eSkommel's defence, unless you want to admit to being someone like the Cassim guy at eSkommel.

Iwojima

Expert Member
I believe eSkommel twitted that it was equivalent to a 13th cheque.

You cannot be sure of any of the things you are posting in eSkommel's defence, unless you want to admit to being someone like the Cassim guy at eSkommel.
Unfortunately it is clear from your reply that you grasped very little from my previous post. Once again: Eskom does not apply to NERSA for changes pertaining to their remuneration costs. This is factual.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Unfortunately it is clear from your reply that you grasped very little from my previous post. Once again: Eskom does not apply to NERSA for changes pertaining to their remuneration costs. This is factual.
By now it should be clear that eSkommel's management and board members (past and present) do whatever they want.

You can post that this or that or the other is factual without any supporting evidence as much as you want, and I will still say that you don't know what the truth really is.

Where are all of the signed and scanned submissions that eSkommel has submitted to NERSA?

TysonRoux

Executive Member
LOL, couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people cnuts.

Eskom is facing another demon in the dark — its R140bn pension fund