Eskom wants to “drastically increase” electricity prices

Venomous

Honorary Master
I really hope they don't succeed.

But if they do I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY... REALLY hope that goes hand in hand with not being allowed and performance bonuses to anyone in management also including any staff that earn R20k+ a month. And no pay increases to senior management until the massive debt is cleared, cos they have not been looking after things correctly.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
I really hope they don't succeed.

But if they do I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY... REALLY hope that goes hand in hand with not being allowed and performance bonuses to anyone in management also including any staff that earn R20k+ a month. And no pay increases to senior management until the massive debt is cleared, cos they have not been looking after things correctly.
Nice. It really is not rocket science. If you don't perform, you don't get a performance bonus.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
It added that Eskom wants to double its profits from electricity sales to pay off its mounting debt, which is only possible through a big increase in pricing.
Someone tell that cadre that decreasing your expenses can also pay off your mounting debt. Be creative, look a bit beyond blackmail & stealing as your only business models.

Zumanomics..

Last edited:

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
It won't end well for the country.

Its already cheaper to generate electricity from Solar.
If they increase will be cheaper to generate electricity from Solar, store with Batteries, and go offgrid.

- Rich are already offgrid for the most part.
- Poor don't pay.

So the middle class is the only sector paying for electricity. When it becomes obvious that going offgrid is cheaper, this will leave Eskom with less *paying* customers, and no way to recoup asset costs / labour etc.

Death spiral incoming.

Also going to be an issue for the government in terms of income from Petrol in a decade or so, as more and more people will be moving to battery powered cars.

What needs to happen, is that the poor need to pay for electricity. No more Soweto owing tens of billions that gets written off every few years.

The middle class is gatvol of subsidising ungrateful c*nts that destroy infrastructure, steal, then scapegoat the middle class for having the money to subsidise the poor's bullsh*t.

Those that can, will leave (20% of the white population has), and those that can't will be fed-up of subsidising an ungrateful populace.
End result will be the proverbial African Sh*thole that Trump talked about.

Milano

Executive Member
It won't end well for the country.

Its already cheaper to generate electricity from Solar.
If they increase will be cheaper to generate electricity from Solar, store with Batteries, and go offgrid.

- Rich are already offgrid for the most part.
- Poor don't pay.

So the middle class is the only sector paying for electricity. When it becomes obvious that going offgrid is cheaper, this will leave Eskom with less *paying* customers, and no way to recoup asset costs / labour etc.

Death spiral incoming.

Also going to be an issue for the government in terms of income from Petrol in a decade or so, as more and more people will be moving to battery powered cars.

What needs to happen, is that the poor need to pay for electricity. No more Soweto owing tens of billions that gets written off every few years.

The middle class is gatvol of subsidising ungrateful c*nts that destroy infrastructure, steal, then scapegoat the middle class for having the money to subsidise the poor's bullsh*t.

Those that can, will leave (20% of the white population has), and those that can't will be fed-up of subsidising an ungrateful populace.
End result will be the proverbial African Sh*thole that Trump talked about.
If a vast number of people went solar they would just install light meters and tax us on sunlight. Reminds me of the origins of the term daylight robbery.

But yes Jabu is just a puppet of the regime. What he calls sustainable - a small minority funding the national grid with unlimited free electricity for those that don't pay - is the very definition of unsustainable. Oh well.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Don't worry, your partner surface will be along shortly to turn this into another "race thread" :rolleyes:

Back on topic:

Eskom wants to “drastically increase” electricity prices

First show SA you're serious. Fire everyone who shouldn't be there. What was it again, 40% of your staff?
Although I know this will be devastating for the country / everyone, a little part of me wants them to fail so hard.
Just fugging die already (-_-)

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
ESKOM can go take a short walk off the nearest cliff. Why don't they do something about the culture of non-payment? They have had 20 blinking years to tell people to get off their rear ends and PAY their accounts! They are not protesting the apartheid regime anymore so PAY UP like the rest of us!

Secondly ESKOM can go sue all the adjoining nations they sell electricity too without payment. How much does Botswana owe? Or Zimbabwe?

Kawak

I'm guessing eskom needs these tariff hikes so they can "go back" to the international bond markets. Here's a suggestion. Privatise!

f2wohf

Honorary Master
ESKOM can go take a short walk off the nearest cliff. Why don't they do something about the culture of non-payment? They have had 20 blinking years to tell people to get off their rear ends and PAY their accounts! They are not protesting the apartheid regime anymore so PAY UP like the rest of us!

Secondly ESKOM can go sue all the adjoining nations they sell electricity too without payment. How much does Botswana owe? Or Zimbabwe?
Botswana has a higher GDP per capital than SA and no debt to Eskom.

Zim has a 80 million $ to Eskom (R1 bn).

Soweto has a R14bn debt.

Maluti A Phofung R2.8bn

Matjhabeng R1.8bn

eMalahleni R1.6bn

Ngwathe R936M

Clue: Export debt is peanuts (probably less than the exports profits).

The exports are also increasing at a 10/12% rate while domestic consumption is decreasing.

Last edited:

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Botswana has a higher GDP per capital than SA and no debt to Eskom.

Zim has a 80 million $ to Eskom (R1 bn).

Soweto has a R14bn debt.

Maluti A Phofung R2.8bn

Matjhabeng R1.8bn

eMalahleni R1.6bn

Ngwathe R936M

Clue: Export debt is peanuts (probably less than the exports profits).

The exports are also increasing at a 10/12% rate while domestic consumption is decreasing.
Last I read we supplied 2/3rds of Botswana power and they hadn't paid a bill in years.

The rest of it - that is why I mentioned educating certain portions of the population to change their ideas about non-payment.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Last I read we supplied 2/3rds of Botswana power and they hadn't paid a bill in years.

The rest of it - that is why I mentioned educating certain portions of the population to change their ideas about non-payment.
I’ve never heard of BPC having debts towards Eskom (and can’t find anything mentioning such debt).

And the 2/3 is probably very old information:

BPC has an installed capacity of 450 MW from Morupule B coal fired power plant. The national demand averages 550 MW, covered by importing up to 150 MW from South Africa that mitigates, but does not prevent, load shedding. In 2013 two emergency diesel facilities, 70 MW at Matshelagabedi and 90MW at Orapa, were installed to avoid such outages. Morupule A, a 132 MW facility where capacity dropped to 30% in 2012,has started rehabilitation and upgrading to add capacity in the next two years. Morupule B is also starting expansion in 2016 in order to add another 300 MW by 2020. Based on 2013 data, Botswana’s national electrification rate reached 66% (54% in rural areas, 65% in urban one), but 1 million people still lack access to electricity.

R13...

Honorary Master
I’ve never heard of BPC having debts towards Eskom (and can’t find anything mentioning such debt).

And the 2/3 is probably very old information:
That's probably because Botswana owes none. They are in fact buying less as they increase self provisioning

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Zimbabwe owes:

Eskom will keep supplying Zim with power despite half a R1 billion debt
1 June 2017 12:06 PM
Zimbabwe has got a temporary reprieve on looming electricity blackouts after its central bank stepped in to help its financially struggling power utility, Zesa.

Zesa is in arrears to Eskom to the tune of US$43 million (about R560 million) which resulted in Eskom threatening to cut off the country's electricity supply.

The Zimbabwean power utility owes Eskom US$80 million (over R1 billion in total) and Mozambique’s Hydro Cahora Bassa (HCB) US$40 million.

Dumisani Muleya Chief Content Officer at Alpha Media Holdings, says an agreement that will see a continuation of electricity supply by Eskom will be signed on Friday - 300 megawatts from Eskom and 50 megawatts from HCB .
And apparently so do Zambia and Mozambique

International debt

The report indicates that international arrear debt over 60 days has increased from R440-million for the first quarter ending 30 June 2017 to R456-million at 30 September 2017. This consists mainly of debt owed by Zimbabwe, Zambia and Mozambique.
So yeah maybe Botswana has paid its debt, but it was only a little while ago that I read that information. Unfortunately I now can't find it. Stuff may not disappear off the web, but it sure disappears off Google.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Zimbabwe owes:

And apparently so do Zambia and Mozambique

So yeah maybe Botswana has paid its debt, but it was only a little while ago that I read that information. Unfortunately I now can't find it. Stuff may not disappear off the web, but it sure disappears off Google.
Out of 12 billions of exports (in 2017), it’s much better than their South African recovery rate (and I’m sure they still profit from it even with the debt scraped off).