Eskom wants to stop 4-hour load-shedding in Johannesburg

markings

Expert Member
4 hours of loadshedding is terrible. The laptop battery may just last that time but does your router backup.
The food in the freezer may start to thaw up, the fridge may not stay cold for food not to spoil.
We never had a problem with 2 hours of shedding, it seem to be the sweet spot.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Always wondered about the 4 hour thing in JHB, do you guys have one 4 hour load shed per day on level 2?
It is not 4 hours, it is a minimum of 4.5 hours on any stage, including stage 1, and on stage 2 it is often scheduled for twice a day, so 2 * 4.5 hours (a total of 9 hours in less than 24 hours on stage 2 and upwards).

Whoever does the loadshitting schedules at City Power is an absolute moron and should have their genitals tasered to ensure that they don't have any additional offspring.

Cray

Honorary Master
It is not 4 hours, it is a minimum of 4.5 hours on any stage, including stage 1, and on stage 2 it is often scheduled for twice a day, so 2 * 4.5 hours (a total of 9 hours in less than 24 hours on stage 2 and upwards).

Whoever does the loadshitting schedules at City Power is an absolute moron and should have their genitals tasered to ensure that they don't have any additional offspring.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4h? Phew that's shocking ('cuse the pun). That's really bad. 2-2.5h slots here in CT, and usually, if there is the 2nd slot, it's late the evening when most people are probably sleeping.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Yeah stage 4 is a freaking nightmare honestly.

Brian_G

Expert Member
4h? Phew that's shocking ('cuse the pun). That's really bad. 2-2.5h slots here in CT, and usually, if there is the 2nd slot, it's late the evening when most people are probably sleeping.
That's one thing we haven't usually had up here, post-midnight shedding. Have it again now though.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
Has the Honourable David Mabusa not yet come to the rescue?
As the recently appointed ESKOM Political Task Team head, surely he has the answers.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Yeah stage 4 is a freaking nightmare honestly.
Stage 2 is bad enough, but have you noticed how eSkommel usually skips stage 3 and goes straight to stage 4?

I'm still convinced that most of these breakdowns are mostly deliberately orchestrated considering that they frequently start on a Wednesday/Thursday and the repairs go into the weekends when overtime pay for eSkommel employees must be at its maximum rate.

All it takes is for an eSkommel employee to deliberately not do their normal maintenance job, and something breaks down (like a conveyor), or deliberately fail to reject/remove rocks mixed in with the coal, and there's a nice bit of overtime pay on the way for anyone involved in repairs, as well as kickbacks for the original instigators of the breakdowns.

Brian_G

Expert Member
I'm still convinced that most of these breakdowns are mostly deliberately orchestrated considering...
Half convinced myself, I also suspect part of the fear-mongering going on as well... look at the supposed Covid excuse for lack of personnel this time around.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Half convinced myself, I also suspect part of the fear-mongering going on as well... look at the supposed Covid excuse for lack of personnel this time around.
I don't doubt that there are a lot of COVID-19 infections amongst eSkommel employees and contracted persons, it would be strange if there weren't a lot of infections, but the Wednesday/Thursday breakdown trend started years before COVID-19.

Brian_G

Expert Member
I don't doubt that there are a lot of COVID-19 infections amongst eSkommel employees and contracted persons, it would be strange if there weren't a lot of infections, but the Wednesday/Thursday breakdown trend started years before COVID-19.
The timing with all the Squirrel and co.'s new hype, I don't believe a word of it.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Stage 2 is bad enough, but have you noticed how eSkommel usually skips stage 3 and goes straight to stage 4?

I'm still convinced that most of these breakdowns are mostly deliberately orchestrated considering that they frequently start on a Wednesday/Thursday and the repairs go into the weekends when overtime pay for eSkommel employees must be at its maximum rate.

All it takes is for an eSkommel employee to deliberately not do their normal maintenance job, and something breaks down (like a conveyor), or deliberately fail to reject/remove rocks mixed in with the coal, and there's a nice bit of overtime pay on the way for anyone involved in repairs, as well as kickbacks for the original instigators of the breakdowns.
Do find it really odd, though I do wonder why we never go to 1 or 3 but straight to 2 and 4? When even in December we didn't need 2 but hey.

Brian_G

Expert Member
I've since read that Eishkom planned an announcement this afternoon re tomorrow etc., so we're not out of the woods.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
I've since read that Eishkom planned an announcement this afternoon re tomorrow etc., so we're not out of the woods.
Not checking further for now.
They never gave a cut off time for this shed.