Eskom warns it will need R300 billion bailout if Nersa blocks power price increases

mypetcow

Yes, they always run at a loss, they're not there to make money, it's just amazing that it's only a problem now (even after jacking the price up 1000%) and not over the last 100 years. Average salary in europe is R35000 per month and you can get paid feeding into the grid.

So, go fly a kite instead of defending the indefensible.
While I agree with you that R5/kWh is extortion at average South African salaries I think that with each price increase people will hopefully actually bother with insulating their house, it’s walls, the windows, the geyser and invest in more energy efficient fridges and washing machines. I mean why heat the outside air in winter or run a crazy inefficient fridge.

Obviously if available cash is the issue buying energy efficient appliances and insulating your house or geyser and pipes is a something that won’t happen anyway.

Unfortunately price increases will hurt the most for people who can afford the least. Maybe at some point government will provide some sort of cash incentive to scrap ancient appliances to buy more efficient newer ones…time will tell.

FYI City of Johannesburg and Cape Town both pay you to feed into the grid it’s just that’s it’s at a fraction of the price of what you pay for electricity. Most of Europe is exactly the same in this regard.

eye_suc

Expert Member
FYI City of Johannesburg and Cape Town both pay you to feed into the grid it’s just that’s it’s at a fraction of the price of what you pay for electricity. Most of Europe is exactly the same in this regard.
In CPT, they do and they don't. For me to feed back into the grid I need to pay a daily fee. This daily fee exceeds the amount of money I would "earn" by feeding into the grid. In winter it will be a dead loss since I just about get my batteries charged.
In other words, not happening.

If they just allowed me to feed in, with no fee and without me being reimbursed, even that I would do. Ideally, give me 1kWh for each 2kWh I push to the grid, with a max per day. That way we both win.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
While I agree with you that R5/kWh is extortion at average South African salaries I think that with each price increase people will hopefully actually bother with insulating their house, it’s walls, the windows, the geyser and invest in more energy efficient fridges and washing machines. I mean why heat the outside air in winter or run a crazy inefficient fridge.

Obviously if available cash is the issue buying energy efficient appliances and insulating your house or geyser and pipes is a something that won’t happen anyway.

Unfortunately price increases will hurt the most for people who can afford the least. Maybe at some point government will provide some sort of cash incentive to scrap ancient appliances to buy more efficient newer ones…time will tell.

but it's not worth mentioning due to the costs as you're lucky if you break-even. Regarding europe, I think you're being economical with the truth comparing it to our situation. I know it's not europe but maybe @Sinbad can explain how feed in works in UK.

eg2505

Honorary Master
guess the parasites still feasting on the inflated tendas at Eskom, and now time for bailout money, or we hold you all hostage.

and people say Eskom has turned over a new leaf, give them another chance. like the ANC, give them another chance

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
FokofEskom...
More threats... I am ready for you loadshedding now because Nersa told you NO.
When will it start? Oh next month... November...

itareanlnotani

Expert Member

Cape Town is anti solar.
Their cost structures basically make it unfeasible for home users. You may as well go offgrid.

The only time it makes sense to grid tie and have solar in Cape Town is if you are a commercial user.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Cape Town is anti solar.
Their cost structures basically make it unfeasible for home users. You may as well go offgrid.

The only time it makes sense to grid tie and have solar in Cape Town is if you are a commercial user.
RSA. One of the things I'm pissed at the DA with.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
RSA. One of the things I'm pissed at the DA with.
DA especially. There were a bunch of PPT's they made where they discuss how to f. over home users to avoid solar/grid migration.

Used to be quite a few of docs online about it where they discuss how to do that. Not sure if they're still online, but it was quite blatant.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
DA especially. There were a bunch of PPT's they made where they discuss how to f. over home users to avoid solar/grid migration.

Used to be quite a few of docs online about it where they discuss how to do that. Not sure if they're still online, but it was quite blatant.
I'm sure the FF+ or Cape Party wouldn't do that.

krycor

Honorary Master

But they the Da.. they can do no wrong, the voter base says so according to Hellen and co.

Ryansr

Expert Member
If Eskom just had the balls to demand the money SOWETO citizens owes them for the connectivity and usage of electricity but guess they don't have the political willpower to meddle with the ANC's voter base. :whistling:

TheChamp

Honorary Master
If Eskom just had the balls to demand the money SOWETO citizens owes them for the connectivity and usage of electricity but guess they don't have the political willpower to meddle with the ANC's voter base. :whistling:
Have you ever tried demanding money from someone who doesn't have the money? Remember that sending your henchmen to beat them up won't work in this instance.

mojoman

Expert Member
Have you ever tried demanding money from someone who doesn't have the money? Remember that sending your henchmen to beat them up won't work in this instance.
Lol...Shame...Its always the poor people.... :laugh:

Last edited:

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Lol...Shame...Its always the poor people.... :laugh:
Funny because I never said anything about poor people, Eskom is not going to get the billions owed by the residents of Soweto tomorrow, next month or even 5 years from now, no matter how much they demand, so that is not an option, simple as that.

mojoman

Expert Member
Funny because I never said anything about poor people, Eskom is not going to get the billions owed by the residents of Soweto tomorrow, next month or even 5 years from now, no matter how much they demand, so that is not an option, simple as that.
Agreed. The astronomically high levels of entitlement will always prevent that...
Even though there is money in Soweto....

wingnut771

Honorary Master
How about pay as you go?