Eskom's average salary is R737,000 per year - but workers want 15% more

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Eskom's average salary is R737,000 per year - but workers want 15% more

Eskom workers want a 15% salary increase despite earning significantly more than most of their counterparts in the private sector.

The power utility is currently in talks with the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA), National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), and Solidarity regarding a wage deal.

The two biggest unions – NUMSA and NUM – are seeking a 15% wage increase while Solidarity wants a 9.5% increase for its members.

Botha22

Civil servants are not getting an increment (rightfully so). Why should bankrupt SOEs be allowed to increase their "employee benefit expenses" by 30%, with the deficit funded by govt and exorbitant annual electricity price increases?

Reactions: ccj

akescpt

Honorary Master
Civil servants are not getting an increment (rightfully so). Why should bankrupt SOEs be allowed to increase their "employee benefit expenses" by 30%, with the deficit funded by govt and exorbitant annual electricity price increases?
why do government workers not deserve an increase?

dont teachers work hard enough? the admin workers? the non-teaching staff?

its been two years already without one while everything is escalating. why is it ok for them to have their salaries eroded by inflation?

Messugga

Honorary Master

its been two years already without one while everything is escalating. why is it ok for them to have their salaries eroded by inflation?
Because the private sectors aren't throwing around increases either, and SA has a huge public sector wage bill, unneccessarily so.

geezer

Expert Member
Reading too much into average salaries can be very misleading as @Geoff.D said earlier.

Consider this, if you have one hand in a bucket of hot water at say 60 degrees and the other hand in a bucket with water at 0 degrees, you will be quite comfortable at an average temperature of 30 degrees... :cool:

thestaggy

Honorary Master

Because most of them work for failed SOEs that are costing tax-payers literal billions and said SOE's - especially Eskom - have excessively bloated workforces.

If any of these SOEs were private companies there would've been mass staff cuts, salary freezes and restructuring from a business operations perspective in order to streamline and further cut costs. None of this has happened, instead they continue to operate in the same way that lead them to financial oblivion.

On top of this, unions are pure cancer to progress in SA with the way they operate and most government workers vote ANC, so I blame them for the state of the country for continually giving the ANC a mandate to ruin the place. All-in-all, I have zero sympathy for them and they can fvck off with their demands.

system32

Expert Member
IIRC, Last time Pravin Gordhan caved in and gave them an 7.5% increase because R737,000 is not enough.
I fully expect Pravin Gordhan to cave in again and give the 15% increase.

EDIT:

Last edited:

akescpt

Honorary Master
Because the private sectors aren't throwing around increases either, and SA has a huge public sector wage bill, unneccessarily so.
its been two years of no increases...why are they not due one? the workload for everything education related has increased as well. it is not the workers fault the wage bill is huge. they are now feeling the brunt of all the corruption that the overwhelming majority has in no way benefited from. its easy to stand out of the water and point fingers, different if you have to deal with the kak on an ongoing basis.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Reading too much into average salaries can be very misleading as @Geoff.D said earlier.

Consider this, if you have one hand in a bucket of hot water at say 60 degrees and the other hand in a bucket with water at 0 degrees, you will be quite comfortable at an average temperature of 30 degrees... :cool:
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there an article a few months ago that had the spread of managerial level vs engineers vs technicians working at Eskom and it said something along the lines of that the average salary of the entry-level tiered workers were R450k-odd per year?

I must see if I can find it again.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I think I am in the wrong industry.
What's you average salary? If you work for a big company I assure you there's absolutely no need to feel small, I have no Idea what mine is but I am certain those Eskom peasants cannot look down on me.

Iwojima

Expert Member
Jesus, that clickbait heading :D

Couldn't find a way to work Blom or Yelland into it too?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there an article a few months ago that had the spread of managerial level vs engineers vs technicians working at Eskom and it said something along the lines of that the average salary of the entry-level tiered workers were R450k-odd per year?

I must see if I can find it again.
Which isn't scandalous for a mix of skilled and qualified workers.

Messugga

Honorary Master
its been two years of no increases...why are they not due one? the workload for everything education related has increased as well. it is not the workers fault the wage bill is huge. they are now feeling the brunt of all the corruption that the overwhelming majority has in no way benefited from. its easy to stand out of the water and point fingers, different if you have to deal with the kak on an ongoing basis.
It kinda is the worker's fault. The way you solve the huge wage bill is either by cutting headcount or trimming salaries. You don't have any other options.

Iwojima

Expert Member
?

Eskom bargaining unit employees got 7% year-on-year for the last 3 years as part of a 3 year agreement with the unions.

15% + all of the other ludicrous benefit demands are a slap in the face to Eskom and the country as a whole.

Last edited: