Eskom's load-shedding has become completely abnormal – Energy analyst

JustAsk

Expert Member
Load shedding in the night makes fckall sense
Load shedding in weekends makes fckall sense...not forgetting unplanned breakdowns that wait for weekends to happen. Unless he addresses those 2, he's no fcking energy analyst.

Loadshedding should only happens if your load is too high...hence the need to shed some. At night and weekend the load is at lowest use.

Premium horse manure...thanks De Ruyter for that.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
Load shedding in weekends makes fckall sense...not forgetting unplanned breakdowns that wait for weekends to happen. Unless he addresses those 2, he's no fcking energy analyst.

Loadshedding should only happens if your load is too high...hence the need to shed some. At night and weekend the load is at lowest use.

To be fair its not De Reyter`s fault its called load shedding. The true name is not PC at all. There was only 2 choices for names, and "load shedding" sounds more sensible than "white-outs".

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
De Reyter is just their white faced scape-goat. He probably knew he won`t make any difference, and took the good paycheck anyway.

Lupus

Honorary Master

When they are using the Hydro power during the day, they need the night to pump it back up. Currently Eskom has about 37GW of coal power, around 8 of that is not ever going to work. Then you have about 4 to 8GW down constantly.
1800 of nuclear where 900 is currently down for repairs and upgrades.
3000 in OCTGs
3000 in pumped storage
4000 in Renewables which is non dispatchable and averages out at 1500.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Oh man, first the "DSTV doesn't like Netflix"article, and now this one...we know. We know we have a power problem. Nothing about this is normal at all. Same as last year AND the year before...

newby_investor

Expert Member
When they are using the Hydro power during the day, they need the night to pump it back up. Currently Eskom has about 37GW of coal power, around 8 of that is not ever going to work. Then you have about 4 to 8GW down constantly.
3000 in OCTGs
3000 in pumped storage
Quite. It makes more sense to have load shedding at night or on the weekend than to burn diesel to try and keep the lights on.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Quite. It makes more sense to have load shedding at night or on the weekend than to burn diesel to try and keep the lights on.
Load shedding during the day costs billions so yeah. Rather burn the diesel which works out a little less, if they have it. The problem is load shedding costs the country billions not Eskom direct.

Tony_rooibos

Why wasn't wet coal a problem until recently? Eskom managed to get through the 80's, '90's and 2000's without it being an issue. Of course it could have been an issue but with spare capacity the effects were reduced.
We dont really know the facts. Well at least I dont. Do you ? Maybe the currently supplied conveyor belts are lower quality than the past ? Who knows ? I am not condoing this current siuation, but I have seen too much on too many sites where one is quick to blame without knowing the facts. Some independant engineers need to walk the plant and eyeball the failed equipment etc to understand what went wrong. With regard to redundancy belt control instrumentation, there is so much to consider, as well as intrinsic design. Getting hysterical in these threads helps no one. Maybe those professionals reading this should offer their services to Eskom, to get to the bottom of the problem.

Tony_rooibos

Facts like ...... load shedding started in 2008...... ?
One needs to be rational about this. Load shedding started in 2008 for a whole variety of reasons. Last weekend appears to be due to different causes, and comparing 2008 with now is not right nor fair. Yes one could say there is a general maintenance issue to bad management, but 2008 was 13 years ago and a lot changes in 13 years.

JustAsk

Expert Member
3000 in OCTGs
3000 in pumped storage
Nope. Reasons have become more ridiculous. Outages suddenly decided to happen at night and weekends.

My problem is not the loadsheddings, but the times it take place, the ridiculous reasons for it, and the almost perfect combination of conditions everytime for it to happen. Every time some absurd thing supposedly happened, there are also some stations offline at the same time.

You will never see anything unusual in the twitter figures you post. A manufactured outage or 3 will always make the figures look normal. This is how you create the need for a planned loadshed.

The conspirator in me thinks, the last two manufactured loadsheddings have everything to do with the magic microbe curfew geared towards the weekend drinkers. This nightly weekend eskom anal fck sessions are also puting many communities at risk of opportunistic crimes.

TooFastTim

Expert Member
We dont really know the facts. Well at least I dont. Do you ? Maybe the currently supplied conveyor belts are lower quality than the past ? Who knows ? I am not condoing this current siuation, but I have seen too much on too many sites where one is quick to blame without knowing the facts. Some independant engineers need to walk the plant and eyeball the failed equipment etc to understand what went wrong. With regard to redundancy belt control instrumentation, there is so much to consider, as well as intrinsic design. Getting hysterical in these threads helps no one. Maybe those professionals reading this should offer their services to Eskom, to get to the bottom of the problem.

Agreed. Reacting to sound bytes and regurgitating trite responses is modus operandi on MyBB (but I'll forgive 'em because there are some reasoned respondees). Hence my final qualifying sentence.

I once started a company (with others of course) that might have provided a near real-time evaluation of the state Eskoms conveyer belts. We pitched it and were met with the "what's in it for me?" response.

garp

Executive Member
Everyone is very quick to criticize, without really knowing the facts. Perhaps abnormal weather is justifiable, especially after the remnants of the cyclone hit us ?
Nope. Because this happens... every year. Like clockwork. Heavy rain and “wet coal” during the summer rainfall season. Every. Farking. Year.

garp

Executive Member
The conveyor belts are routinely sabotaged to facilitate lucrative trucking contracts for cadres. Handling wet coal off trucks is part of the issue in the rain.

NeoAcheron

Eskom's load-shedding has become completely abnormal
you-dont-say-nicholas-cage.gif

grok

Honorary Master

Fact 1: Mbeki & Co did not build more capacity when warned about running out.

Fact 2: Experts were let go and replaced with BEE novices in favour of transformation.

Fact 3: Zuma let the Gupta's run coal for kickbacks, who messed with supply and pricing for personal profit instead of Eskom.

Any fact I missed out?

Binary_Bark

Forging
Hell, and i though Squirrel was funny.
This lot so far wins the day with bullshittery.
They have done it for years and have said almost every month that this is the last time.
These incontinent lot does not even know the meaning of the word maintenance or that you need to work to keep things working.
For them everything just runs itself, by magic so we don't need to do anything and can loot everything.

So far every single business enterprise the ANC criminals have touched has turned to shyte.