Lupus

Honorary Master
I'm not arguing against nuclear, I'm arguing against these abominitions.
It's too late they are here and they'd need to be fixed, sadly they were implemented by the worst freaking government :( I mean in 15 years of the old government 10 or so power stations were completed and 6 of those were over 3GW

Lupus

Honorary Master
I left SA 20 years, ago so I have no idea what Load shedding is. What is interesting is that in all the articles I've read, I not have 1nce seen that Eskom provide a solution if the situation becomes extreme or even for the interim. Seems their solution is to just shut down part of the grid and pray for the best outcome. It seems that Eskom always start any news report/letter with an apology. Is there a solution for a serious emergency ,to keep going before there is a total blackout or prevent it? I'm just asking.
These were supposed to be the answer, 7 1/2 years ago when they were to be completed.

Crimson & Blue

Honorary Master
It's too late they are here and they'd need to be fixed, sadly they were implemented by the worst freaking government :( I mean in 15 years of the old government 10 or so power stations were completed and 6 of those were over 3GW
For sure. Corruption.
Regardless, I'd rather see us lead the way with better planning and efficiency - IMO that's the way forward, not throwing a bigger piece of coal on the fire.

ADrunkTeddyBear

Expert Member
Without storage for the peaks what is the point?
Pretty sure around R5-R10 billion could have been spent on these to power cities in the night

Lupus

Honorary Master
Pretty sure around R5-R10 billion could have been spent on these to power cities in the night

A city would use that in about 10/20 minutes, remember during load shedding they take off one area and that's 100MW, a battery of 100MW/h would give maybe the hour for that part of the city's load shedding?

OhYeah84

Expert Member
Cannot wait for the local ANC suppoerts on MyBB to swing by in defence of this inept lot running the country further and further into the ground!

ADrunkTeddyBear

Expert Member
A city would use that in about 10/20 minutes, remember during load shedding they take off one area and that's 100MW, a battery of 100MW/h would give maybe the hour for that part of the city's load shedding?
Those batteries are around R15 million for 3Mwh

if they used R10 billion and gotten around a 2Gwh battery bank. With some smaller and cheaper coal plants. SA could have avoided this whole loadshedding mess.

Danie_V

Still wondering who was actually accountable for these very costly 'design flaws'? Was it Eskom, another SA company, one of the contractors? The 'design flaw' issue is just flouted like it is some Act of God. Point is it is engineering design that is supposed to be done by suitably qualified and experienced engineers.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Still wondering who was actually accountable for these very costly 'design flaws'? Was it Eskom, another SA company, one of the contractors? The 'design flaw' issue is just flouted like it is some Act of God. Point is it is engineering design that is supposed to be done by suitably qualified and experienced engineers.
Eskom, but actually it's the people who pay for electricity who are accountable.

R13...

Honorary Master
Eskom are responsible. Along with the ANC, corrupt Eskom employees, contracting and design companies who worked on the projects. Those companies paid bribes to get the jobs and then cut corners to earn more profits because it seems the people charged with making sure the designs and construction were up to scratch also looked the other way or were incompetent to sign off on such shoddy work.

SilverCode

Just looked it up on Wikipedia. In 30 years the old government increase capacity by 36,000 MW (4,000MW to 40,000MW).

If by some miracle the ANC government manage to get Medupi and Kusile completed by 2024, then in 30 years they would have added a whopping 9,564 MW. And that is with much newer technology available to them.

Martin 007

How do you suppose existing solar farms store energy?

Judging by this: https://constructionreviewonline.co...-us-25m-kabulasoke-solar-power-park-complete/
9.6 billion USD would have got us a solar farm with 9600 MW cap.
R154 billion Rand. Theres spare change for expansion and extra storage and we could have boasted the biggest solar farm in the world. Instead we have the biggest coal power station in the world. Yay.

Regardless, by switching to solar or other renewables we will, as a species, be forced to plan better and use electricity more sparingly or more efficiently (planned storage e.g. heating a building before peak demand and storing that energy... improving insulation). IMO that contributes enormously to sustainability than the alternative of throwing another piece of coal on the barbie.

450-500 BILLION would have got us something nice and something to be proud of... as it is, all it got us is a big bloody furnace.
And loved by all the world's greeny's

kolakidd

Not so much spend on solar plants directly, but R450bn pushed into subsidising homes to move to solar, much like the solar geyser subsidy a while back. That would have probably started making a big dent a while back.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
The ANC used this and may other projects as vehicles to enrich themselves.

Every time something gets burned or sabotaged a connected cadre will make money.

ANC economics.

system32

Executive Member
So we would have got more for our buck out of a bunch of solar panels. How much solar would 450 bill have bought?
Remember that R450b is the construction cost.

You need to add:
- cost of fuel coal
- cost of maintenance
- cost to environment
for the next 30 years.

These monsters eat coal at a huge rate and generate tons of "free" pollution (use atmosphere as a dump)

Suddenly Solar/Wind + Storage become cheap.

Last edited: