EskomSePush – How two regular guys built one of South Africa’s favourite apps

SlowInternet

Executive Member
Except that their app wasn't accurate at all for my area. I emailed them several times, commented on Play store but they didn't fix the problem. Load Shedding Notifier was way more accurate for me.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I think it might be something about my specific location because we always didn't see loadshedding at times when when we ought to have but it did make the app useless to me personally. Did anyone else find it was inaccurate?

eg2505

Honorary Master
I think it might be something about my specific location because we always didn't see loadshedding at times when when we ought to have but it did make the app useless to me personally. Did anyone else find it was inaccurate?

I found all the load shedding apps one has can get quite inaccurate,
but that might be down to the sangoma at eskom deciding when to flip the switch, based on a roll of the bones and dice.

question here,
if you DONT know where you fall in what exact area and in what exact schedule.
(my area has 5) cant they add schedules by a map?

so point at a map (or use location services), and know EXACTLY where you fall, under which schedule.
maybe an idea for a future feature? maybe as premium service?

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Pity they don't carry all areas, and NEVER respond on emails sent from their "app"

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Yep, Our estates have the same problem ... try Load Shedding Notifier, that works for me

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
I have yet to find an accurate loadshedding schedule, including that of the municipalities. Sometimes they are on the mark, but most of the times we are 30 minutes to an hour or two late. Most of the time they never loadshed as per their own schedules.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I found all the load shedding apps one has can get quite inaccurate,
but that might be down to the sangoma at eskom deciding when to flip the switch, based on a roll of the bones and dice.

question here,
if you DONT know where you fall in what exact area and in what exact schedule.
(my area has 5) cant they add schedules by a map?

so point at a map (or use location services), and know EXACTLY where you fall, under which schedule.
maybe an idea for a future feature? maybe as premium service?

I concur,

The app works well but I think the fault lies with the information coming from Eskom and they don't know what they are doing. I found that the app for my work offices was random where sometimes the app was correct and sometimes it was not. I went onto City Power's website to check if I had the correct area listed and found that my exact area had two listed names for the same place. Only difference was one had a capital R in the name and the second one had a small r (but the actual name and extension of the area was exactly the same) and both areas were on different zones.

So I think our area was just unfortunate where depending on who was reading the schedule sometimes they would switch us off for Zone 3 and other times for Zone 8.

I could not understand how Eskom or city power let this get through. I would of imagined that they had an actual map of the areas with colour coded areas for the specific zones to ensure they could not duplicate areas.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I have to ask: would society have supported them as well as they have had they called the app EskomSePoes, as the name actually implies?

quovadis

Executive Member
I have to ask: would society have supported them as well as they have had they called the app EskomSePoes, as the name actually implies?

Sure, whether they could've published the app with the name is another question.

krycor

Honorary Master
Interesting. I actually never even noticed the ads.

I don't think those ads would be enough to cover hosting though. As the app only gets any eyeballs when there is load shedding. When the grid is stable, I don't think they will make enough to warrant keeping peak hosting capacity.

So my take on this has always been that the reason this one gained traction was purely due to the name.. the information is the same more or less in every other one, if you get differing results it's due to the way you either selecting area and/or way info is presented when areas have same name.

A killer feature would be knowing where areas are demarcated but then you'd have to be an insider ;)

Uhm with regards to ads.. I dunno hey, personally i think the app will always die when a push notification gets sent because it's a 'call to action' that makes users open app/site to find out when it impacting them. If you ask me, it's a badly managed one from a ui and/or customer experience point of view as the app will fail and thats your initial experience of it while the app trying to spawn workers to handle load for that instantaneous demand. Yes it eventually scales up by the time more than half have backed off lol.. i guess they could try predictively spawning ahead but guessing this number even based on previous CTAs will either be over or under based on when the last event was (people uninstall or leave it dormant like i do).

Since the app isn't looking to generate revenue.. just send the location info at push notification for one or two areas. inevitably people will check fuller schedule but the ramp up would be significantly less to the current outage inducing behaviour which must be ramping up cost too.

All in all it is a cool project I find it interesting and wondering what the next 'demand application' will be. since i work on backend apps at work I'm busy ramping up on fun tech(backend no one ever cares about until e.g. your bank stop working haha) so i can try and do a few things like this as really its great mix of just supplying info with a quirky name that basically got around. I've tried others but this one is multi platform so was easier to just say.. try that one albeit others are the same.