eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede to appear on corruption charges

thechamp

Honorary Master
eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede is expected to hand herself over to the Hawks and appear in the Durban Commercial Crimes court on Tuesday on a raft of corruption charges. In May last year it emerged that Gumede, a strong ally of former president Jacob Zuma, was being investigated by the Hawks for facilitating money laundering‚ fraud and corruption, allegedly to pay back cronies who helped her political ambitions.

The Hawks had launched the investigation into Gumede following a forensic investigation into the awarding of a contract to hire and clean chemical toilets.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-05-14-ethekwini-mayor-zandile-gumede-to-appear-on-corruption-charges/

Daruk

Honorary Master
So she's a crony of Zuma's ... When does Zuma get to face court? Why is she fast tracked?

thechamp

Honorary Master
So she's a crony of Zuma's ... When does Zuma get to face court? Why is she fast tracked?
Don't tell me you were sleeping when Zuma appeared in court for his corruption charges?

surface

Executive Member
No it won't, if that happens we move to "why didn't he/she get life imprisonment"?
well, she probably will not get life because case will drag on for 25 years, all the documents will be conveniently lost, judges will be bought, witnesses will personally murdered by each nec member and so on.. it is not difficult to see the reality and at the end of this all, she will be the president.

thechamp

Honorary Master
well, she probably will not get life because case will drag on for 25 years, all the documents will be conveniently lost, judges will be bought, witnesses will personally murdered by each nec member and so on.. it is not difficult to see the reality and at the end of this all, she will be the president.
I swear one day I am going to walk in here and I won't be able to tell my comrades from the Broederbond, you are really mastering their language.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Google it.
Nah, been there done that, all I'm getting is an appearance in court to postpone his appearance in court. I'm talking about him facing charges and answering a judge on those charges.

This stuff goes back 15 years, he's going to be dead before he faces charges.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Nah, been there done that, all I'm getting is an appearance in court to postpone his appearance in court. I'm talking about him facing charges and answering a judge on those charges.

This stuff goes back 15 years, he's going to be dead before he faces charges.
We don't know what is going to happen in Zandile's case, all we know is she is going to appear in court, so perhaps your comment was not properly thought out?

Daruk

Honorary Master
We don't know what is going to happen in Zandile's case, all we know is she is going to appear in court, so perhaps your comment was not properly thought out?
Except, tell me this, how long has it taken in Zuma's case and how long do you anticipate in hers? Though it's possible if she's a Zuma ally she'll be kept from testifying.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Except, tell me this, how long has it taken in Zuma's case and how long do you anticipate in hers? Though it's possible if she's a Zuma ally she'll be kept from testifying.
Zuma's case has dragged on for years, I anticipate hers to go on for a much shorter time, unless as Surface has said, she becomes President, then it could drag for aslong as Zuma's.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Zuma's case has dragged on for years, I anticipate hers to go on for a much shorter time, unless as Surface has said, she becomes President, then it could drag for aslong as Zuma's.
Yeah I actually expect hers to be almost lightning quick really...

The ANC desperately needs a scape goat for the heavy loss in KZN (and eThekwini specifically)... and i wouldn't be surprised to see her thrown under the bus by the ANC to show the electorate that they will deal with corruption...

thechamp

Honorary Master
Yeah I actually expect hers to be almost lightning quick really...

The ANC desperately needs a scape goat for the heavy loss in KZN (and eThekwini specifically)... and i wouldn't be surprised to see her thrown under the bus by the ANC to show the electorate that they will deal with corruption...
I doubt there is any need to blame her for the losses, it will play right into the hands of the Zuma faction, you can't blame her for Ethekwini while the likes of Makhura are retaining the premiership after such a dismal showing in Gauteng. No politics should ever be brought into this, let here face the charges as they come.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I doubt there is any need to blame her for the losses, it will play right into the hands of the Zuma faction, you can't blame her for Ethekwini while the likes of Makhura are retaining the premiership after such a dismal showing in Gauteng. No politics should ever be brought into this, let here face the charges as they come.
In theory I agree with you...

But specifically in eThekwini (given that I live in the city) the amount of vitriol thrown at her in the last 3 weeks for the crap she caused from all sides (and very loudly from the much poorer segment of the population) was extreme.... The ANC could very possibly (even the Zuma faction themselves) be very happy to see her thrown under the bus just for a short term positive with its voting base...

I doubt she is of any use to the Zuma faction anymore in any event...