eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede to appear on corruption charges

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I wonder if this hawks unit deals with corruption related to audit findings. If they do then should have been busy from decades ago and would keep busy until the dinosaurs return
And what of the NPA and the prodigal daughter, Hansie-breaker, and erstwhile Netherlands-resident Shamila Batohi? Haven't heard of or seen much action from her on anything. She was supposed to be the hero we needed, but now seems to not be the hero we wanted.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
And what of the NPA and the prodigal daughter, Hansie-breaker, and erstwhile Netherlands-resident Shamila Batohi? Haven't heard of or seen much action from her on anything. She was supposed to be the hero we needed, but now seems to not be the hero we wanted.
It takes time to rectify the cluster-fsck that is the NPA..

She has made some moves already that are positive.

R13...

Honorary Master
Eish. You TV dinner generation. These things take time, she is working on it and even while she works state capture minion are busy undermining her efforts. She needs to fumigate the place first and even then there'll be remnants but hopefully not as big an infestation

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Ja but she must update her whatsapp status in the meanwhile. How will us plebs know that she's not playing golf somewhere instead?

thechamp

Honorary Master
I hope the Hawks have finally got their act together, hope it does not all fall apart ata later stage.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I hope the Hawks have finally got their act together, hope it does not all fall apart ata later stage.
If this all falls apart at a later stage I will be beyond fscked off....

This cow must be gone from the city. The amount of damage she has caused is immense.

R13...

Honorary Master
If this all falls apart at a later stage I will be beyond fscked off....

This cow must be gone from the city. The amount of damage she has caused is immense.
I'm wary, the last high profile corruption case that the province tried to prosecute was the Amigos one involving Peggy Nkonyane and they let her off. But that was capture and political influence hopefully that's over now

schumi

Honorary Master
Hawks investigating Durban mayor's breach of bail conditions

DURBAN – Graft-accused Durban mayor Zandile Gumede and senior councillor Mondli Mthembu are being investigated for a breach of their bail conditions, the Hawks and NPA said on Friday.

Hawks spokesperson, Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi, told African News Agency (ANA) that Gumede and Mthembu were being investigated.

“We are [investigating], because we have seen it through the media and we have also been observing. But for now, there is no affidavit that has been deposed regarding the bail conditions being broken. But yes, we can confirm that we are investigating both,” said Mulaudzi.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) told ANA on Thursday, “The investigating officers of the case are conducting their own independent investigations on the alleged non-adherence to bail conditions.

“Secondly, the investigating officers are responsible for ensuring that the bail conditions are adhered to and the municipality will assist them,” KwaZulu-Natal’s acting director for public prosecutions, Elaine Zungu, told ANA.

Gumede, Mthembu and businessman Craig Poonan appeared at the Durban Commercial Crimes Court on May 14 for their alleged roles in tender fraud relating to a R208 million Durban Solid Waste (DSW) contract dating back to 2016.
The trio was released on bail of R50,000 each and will appear at the same court again in August along with nine other suspects who were arrested earlier in May.
Gumede and Mthembu were released on strict bail conditions. The conditions forbid them from communicating with any officials linked to auditing at DSW, anyone involved in supply chain management, any legal or financial employees in the KZN metro, or with any of its operating staff.
But on Tuesday this week, Mthembu, who chairs the city’s human settlements and infrastructure committee, presided over the committee’s meeting at city hall.
This was done despite the DA and IFP councillors asking Mthembu to step aside and let someone else chair the meeting as one of the reports being presented and up for discussion was DSW’s performance and monitoring report for March 2019.
An official from the city’s legal department, when called on by Mthembu to give an opinion, said while he had not seen the bail conditions, it was his interpretation that the onus was on the accused to keep within the conditions.

More at:
https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics...ban-mayors-breach-of-bail-conditions-25511829

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Hmmm so no investigation needed then. They breached bail conditions or at least one of then did. Why has he not been arrested and charged for thst as well?

schumi

Honorary Master
New mayor for Durban on Monday?

Durban - Ethekwini municipality will wake up on Monday with an acting mayor if the ANC Youth League in the region has its way.
Several influential ANC KZN leaders believe embattled Mayor Zandile Gumede’s time is up.
The ANC provincial executive committee yesterday began the first leg of its three-day meeting in Durban to discuss various governmental issues, including Gumede’s future.
However, a source within the ANC leadership said Gumede would not go down without a fight as “she is threatening to spill the beans on her fellow comrades’ shenanigans”.
“She is hoping the threats will force them to back off. She also enjoys the support of many in the regional executive committee, except for Bheki Ntuli (eThekwini regional secretary),” said the leader.

More at:
https://www.iol.co.za/ios/news/new-mayor-for-durban-on-monday-25548369

schumi

Honorary Master
We can't tell if its true but that would be the most reasonable explanation for why she has not been removed

thechamp

Honorary Master
We can't tell if its true but that would be the most reasonable explanation for why she has not been removed
Let her spill the beans, the more the merrier, although I am not holding my breath, Zuma has been threatening to spill the beans for how long now?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Let her spill the beans, the more the merrier, although I am not holding my breath, Zuma has been threatening to spill the beans for how long now?
Agreed... It's getting a bit old now... When even Jacob can't do it.. I doubt some lowly municipal mayor could either...

My big concern with her being replaced though is that she will get off Scott free and not spend time in jail like she deserves.

Last edited:

Sollie

Executive Member
Cough ... cough ... state witness ... cough ... cough ...

Break the mutual protection from prosecution. Works like dominoes.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The decision by the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal that eThekwini Metro Mayor Zandile Gumede be placed on leave for 30 days was taken to maintain the integrity of the ruling party.

"We have to ensure that at all material times, those who represent our people enjoy the confidence and support of our people. They must also display impeccable integrity, beyond reproach. When they are [criminally] charged, that has a direct impact on this," KwaZulu-Natal ANC secretary general Mdumiseni Ntuli told News24 on Monday.
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...ntegrity-of-anc-kzn-party-leadership-20190610

The fact that Fawzia Peer will take over in the interim is no better than Zandile sitting in that chair.