eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede to appear on corruption charges

3WA

Executive Member
Not leave the ANC but rather the foreign organisation they find themselves in, perhaps getting too impatient to wait for the real ANC that will come back after 5 years.
Five years with no gravy is a long time. It could even be ten years.

Solarion

Honorary Master
It's important that I do that. All what I wish to know is the process. They [NEC] must say why they call me incompetent. I'm a leader internationally. I have accolades, they must prove how and why," she said.
Arrogant right to the bitter end.

thechamp

Honorary Master
ANCWL changes its position on Zandile Gumede

Durban - The ANC Women’s League has accepted the axing of Zandile Gumede as eThekwini mayor and now wants a woman to replace her.

ANCWL secretary-general Meokgo Matuba told the media outside the ANC’s KwaZulu-Natal provincial office in Durban on Wednesday night that during the meeting with the provincial executive committee (PEC), the league enquired about Gumede’s replacement.

“We have made a request to the leadership of the ANC to say we have seen since 2016 that it seems to be a regression, and therefore we are requesting that the leadership of the ANC, when they deal with the replacement (issue), women should be replaced by women and not men.
https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/ancwl-changes-its-position-on-zandile-gumede-30805401

Zophos

I do find it ironic that the WL request the replacement to be a women from ANC leadership which are primarily men.

If they suggested that the best candidate is a women, sure no issues.

But it seems that their only criteria for the replacement is gender rather than competency.

Sure this is part of the bigger issues that we are experiencing...

thechamp

Honorary Master
I do find it ironic that the WL request the replacement to be a women from ANC leadership which are primarily men.

If they suggested that the best candidate is a women, sure no issues.

But it seems that their only criteria for the replacement is gender rather than competency.

Sure this is part of the bigger issues that we are experiencing...
Whilst that is indeed a valid point we should not pretend like all the men in high positions within political parties and elsewhere were chosen because of their wisdom or competence, my observation is that the question of competence always comes up when a woman is appointed.

Without an extraordinary push for women to emerge and rise to top positions there won't be any progress, business as usual won't do and the problem will never fix itself.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Whilst that is indeed a valid point we should not pretend like all the men in high positions within political parties and elsewhere were chosen because of their wisdom or competence, my observation is that the question of competence always comes up when a woman is appointed.

Without an extraordinary push for women to emerge and rise to top positions there won't be any progress, business as usual won't do and the problem will never fix itself.
I tend to disagree with your first statement... in this country, the question of competence ALWAYS comes up when its an ANC deployee.. and usually its a valid question which is borne out in the results after the fact.

As for women emerging, its happening with or without the push, but yes a bit more emphasis on helping women rise to the top would be good... but it needs to be put in the right place, in terms of education and experience rather than forcing women into positions that they are not entirely suitable for.

schumi

Honorary Master
Zandile Gumede supporters disrupt meeting called to explain her axing

Chaos erupted at Durban's Moses Mabhida stadium on Friday evening at an ANC meeting called to explain the decision to fire eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede and her entire executive committee.

The meeting was attended by eThekwini branch secretaries, chairpersons and municipal councillors. It descended into chaos over disagreements on credentials of people attending, according to insiders who were present.

Provincial executive committee members Nomusa Dube-Ncube and Ricardo Mthembu were meant to address the gathering. However it collapsed before it began.
More at : https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2019-08-16-zandile-gumede-supporters-disrupt-meeting-called-to-explain-her-axing/

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Why they expect any less from supporters of a thief, bully and a mafia leader always surprises me...

thechamp

Honorary Master
It would be interesting to see where they redeploy her, joining Ace at Luthuli house? Or they'll move someone out of parliament to make space for her?

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
It would be interesting to see where they redeploy her, joining Ace at Luthuli house? Or they'll move someone out of parliament to make space for her?
There's a future presidency just waiting for her :cool:

R13...

Honorary Master
Have they filled all those vacancies that opened when th various ministers resigned? Could be an opening for her there

schumi

Honorary Master
Transport MEC Mxolisi Kaunda to replace Zandile Gumede as Durban mayor

The eThekwini metro mayor-elect is Mxolisi Kaunda, the current MEC for transport in KwaZulu-Natal, the ANC announced on Thursday.

This was announced by party officials during a media briefing.

Kaunda will replaced ousted Zandile Gumede, who was removed last week with her entire exco.

ANC KZN provincial secretary Mdumiseni Ntuli made the announcement, in which he also revealed Mzimkhulu Thebolla as the new mayoral candidate for the uMsunduzi municipality.

During the briefing Ntuli revealed the outcomes of the provincial working committee (PWC) report following the recent two-day provincial executive committee sitting which assessed the report on the state of local government in the province.

Former MEC for finance Belinda Scott will take over as deputy mayor of eThekwini, former social development MEC Weziwe Thusi will become speaker and ward 22 councillor Sbongise Mkhize becomes chief whip.
More at:

thechamp

Honorary Master
ANC suspends 14 councillors for protesting Zandile Gumede axing

Durban - The ANC in KwaZulu-Natal has taken a zero-tolerance approach to ill-discipline within its ranks moving swiftly to suspend 14 party members including councillors for protests in Durban and Pietermaritzburg in recent weeks.

The party members and councillors were suspended for storming meetings and protesting the suspension of Zandile Gumede who was axed as mayor for eThekwini Municipality.

thechamp

Honorary Master
It would be funny if Gumede was to be redeployed and this lot find themselves out of work.