eThekwini slams those opposed to R20m statues as being against black unity

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Unacceptable in my opinion... a minority (taxi bosses) have cost us billions here. The Army should have been used to protect the construction. Such a useless Government / municipality. I wont even begin to detail the incompetence of the planning, digging and then re-digging up to 5 times in one intersection each time after it gets tarred & paved.
I don't disagree with your point about it being unacceptable... The police should have arrested those business forum thugs YEARS ago...

Eniigma

Expert Member
Probably because they keep putting them up and taking them down.

I drive passed them every day. The orginally went up last year just before Mandela's birthday or whatnot, then they dissapeared. Then reappeared a few weeks later and where gone two days later. I actually suspected they had been stollen for scrap metal. Now there are about 10 of them there, flying passed at 100km it almost likes like 10 versions of Mandela at different times of his life.

The ANC's posters along the M4 are the perfect representation of their governing. They have put posters on every single light post from at least the Argyle intersection to passed Blue Lagoon. 90% of them have fallen to the bottom of the post after a day or two. The rest are all over the place with probably 2 or 3 only stll being where they were orignally put.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
I say let them build it, then blacks can feel super united while looking at the statues and reflect at how eThekwini is stealing their money..

"Gogo not surviving on her SASSA grant? Shame, but at least she's got a nice new statue on the other side of town to go look at to make her feel better, lol"

According to The Sunday Tribune, those statues were a mere R1.9 million. Why the next two will cost so much more is unclear.
Oh it's pretty clear allright, they have learned from the Guptas how to engage with corrupt government, i.e. R1mil for the auntie at the muni who approved this abortion, R2m for the artist and the rest split between the bigwigs who thought of this robbery plan.

This is probably how Zuma would be financing his comeback or something.

schumi

Honorary Master
eThekwini Municipality postpones unveiling sculptor of R20m statues

Durban - eThekwini Municipality has decided to indefinitely postpone the unveiling of the R20 million statues of South Africa's liberation struggle icons, Nelson Mandela and Oliver Tambo, by a young sculptor.

The City was also set to unveil possible designs for the statues will also be unveiled and shed light on their location within the city.

"This is to bring to the attention of all members of the media that the aforementioned press briefing that was scheduled to take place tomorrow 10 January 2019, has been postponed indefinitely. We sincerely apologise in advance for the inconvenience that may emanate from this postponement," it said in a terse statement.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...s-unveiling-sculptor-of-r20m-statues-18755099

Mila

Honorary Master
Was the Shaka one done in the Tugela river?
Or was the funds misappropriated and everything is now being kept quiet?

flarkit

Executive Member
How are the priorities, if R20m statues are deemed more important than basic services: education, feeding, housing, maintenance, employment, health, water etc etc?

nightjar

Expert Member

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Some body realized that you cant get away with this during election year
Whomever that somebody was, is an imbecile. They can sure as **** get away with this in an election year. They can get away with it any time they want and still win a comfortable majority in the elections.

Eniigma

Expert Member
Nah, those are ANC statues, that will be moved to the stadium before their celebration tomorrow....
Cool, cool, cool, cool.

The madiba one in the centre has been up and down a few times.
The rest of them sprung up like weeds a week or so ago.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Black unity? Would be the first time since the beginning of time. Same goes for all races... Humanity in general can't unite.

I'm against BS which enables looting. If the ANC hadn't proved itself time and time again to be corrupt I would have probably celebrated these statues.

If it's all above board show us the audited financials and stop flapping your mouths.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Some body realized that you cant get away with this during election year
They have gotten away with it, the money has already been paid to the artist and all the tenderpreneurs involved, unveiling is not that important as long as everyone has had their share.

neoprema

Expert Member
I’m sure there must be a lot of African people just as annoyed at this waste of money? Are they also against black unity?

Speaking of black, wonder what color Range Rovers they will get with that money...