Ethernet Cabling question

Saba'a

Executive Member
When crimping cables I've tried using a cutters/normal scissors to get each wire perfectly straight (could be me) they never the same length, I untwist them, put them into order and straighten them out then I cut them, feed the wires into the jack as far as they will go until I see a exposed copper wire in each lane, sometimes I have to take the jack of and start over because they aren't cut straight. With each step I inspect the wires.

So my question is what do you guys use? I know you get crimpers with jacks that feed the cable through and cut off the ends but I want to learn the manual way of doing it.

To be clear, I have crimped a couple of cables for my house and a couple of friends, they do pass the test but I end up wasting cable every time I have to strip the cover back and repeat the steps.
Which order of colours do you use?

Totempole

Expert Member
When I first started crimping my own network cables 17 years ago, it was quite a bit easier than it is today.

The reason for that is simple. The quality of the cabling has gone down the shitter. At least the stuff that most retail outlets sell.

It's not just the crappy CCA cables that are almost impossible to cut straight. Some solid copper cables seem to go all over the place as well, I think it might have to do with the quality of the insulation, or the grade of copper used if there is such a thing.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Outdoor and cca really don’t belong in the same sentence. If you’re going install cabling you may as well do it properly and use solid copper.
Really? Scoop sells outdoor CCA. Maybe you should sue them for false advertising?

deesef

Expert Member
Really? Scoop sells outdoor CCA. Maybe you should sue them for false advertising?
If you really just use CCA, keep the lengths short and don't strain or kink them. But generally, they are crap.

I have a 45 metre length of this to the pool/braai area and some 20 metre runs to cameras, for years already, with no problems to date (touch wood)