ETV switched to HD and now DSTV HD decoder no longer outputs digital audio

zork

Yesterday (apparently) ETV started broadcasting HD on DSTV channel 194. Consequently my HD decoder bought in preparation for this went totally silent, but just for ETV, SABC still fine. I use the digital (co-ax) output for my surround sound system.

Local agent cannot do anything because my decoder (bought in June) is now over 60 days old. At least they knew what the problem was: the DSTV call centre last night had no clue: spent a fruitless half-hour trying everything ,up to and including a factory reset.

So although this is clearly a manufacturing fault I am stuck with having to swap for a refurbished second-hand decoder.

Their lack of interest in customer service is really obvious. It was brought home when I realized that the agent's shop looked exactly like a government office: queues of people on a Saturday, faded posters on the walls that really needed a new paint job ten years ago. Dusty display cabinet with out of date parts. All saying to the customers just where their place is in the food-chain.

Can anyone suggest a way out?

zork

Hi, thanks. When audio is variable there is conventional audio output but not digital audio (that is a documented feature of the decoder). So no Dolby and no surround sound.

Crowley

Executive Member
I'd suggest stop watching ETV. Rather just buy the Walker Texas Ranger and anaconda Blu ray box sets.

zork

Solution: It turns out that the DSTV HD decoder outputs Dolby digital only for HD channels and only when the volume is set to "fixed". In all other cases it outputs audio as PCM digital encoding (for non HD channels or if the volume is set to "variable"). My surround sound system (Denon) was set to decoding only PCM and had to have its input mode switched to "auto".

The staff at MultiChoice N1 city were very helpful but unfortunately are unable to test the digital audio outputs of their own decoders in order to eliminate problems with them. They assisted me in figuring this out once I got home. This inability to test their own equipment at their premises is an issue that needs to be addressed.