Etv to broadcast NBA games for free in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Etv to broadcast NBA games for free in South Africa

Etv has partnered with the National Basketball Association (NBA), which appointed the broadcaster as its official free-to-air broadcast partner in South Africa.

As part of the agreement, Etv will broadcast more than 65 games throughout the 2019-20 NBA season across the channel and its Openview platform.

Reactions: Shi

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Basketball has become increasingly popular here. Do not count your chickens.

Basketball fan fair seem to be under the age of 30.

grok

Honorary Master
They have to cater to the masses since bafana is such a flop..

ronsmit

Saw it last night...
Commentators were referring to individuals non stop...
Lousy camera work - all run from left to right - try finding the ball!!

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Um just how many basketball fans are there in SA. I wonder if they done any research before buying the rights.

m4tic

Google the most watched sports in the world. Plus the NBA has a rather large following in this country.
That age has come and gone, I remember back with LoveLife and NBA in the early 2000s they tried making a push all the kids grew from it and basketball never seen a resurgence since.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
That age has come and gone, I remember back with LoveLife and NBA in the early 2000s they tried making a push all the kids grew from it and basketball never seen a resurgence since.
Kids don't play soccer yet viewership numbers are surging. You don't need to be playing the sports. It's for entertainment.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Please explain to me

Why are people complaining and moaning about more content without extra cost?
You don't have to watch it and it costs you nothing (No, I do not watch basketball)

MyMoanband

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Please explain to me

Why are people complaining and moaning about more content without extra cost?
You don't have to watch it and it costs you nothing (No, I do not watch basketball)

MyMoanband
Because instead of E-TV wasting money on basketball they could've spent money on something that people will actually watch. Yes, it's free for viewers but it costs E-TV money to buy the rights. Even you admit you don't watch basketball.