European colonizers killed so many indigenous Americans that the planet cooled down, a new study reveals

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I doubt this has as much to do with indigenous americans as it does with them decimating the bison population, thereby reducing methane emissions.

But that's just my 2c.
Read something about the overpopulation of Bison was due to the fact that their main predators (tribal Americans) mostly died of disease

daveza

Honorary Master
While on the subject.

I met someone that didn't know there were native americans on the continent of america before whites got there. Or more or less when whites got there (columbus, not the vikings). She also didn't know why people sometimes said american indians and where that might have originated.

She's 36 and has a degree in chemical engineering.

Is this normal?
If she's American, it's normal.

They still think Columbus discovered America even though he never set foot on what is now the USA.

Voicy

Honorary Master
Read something about the overpopulation of Bison was due to the fact that their main predators (tribal Americans) mostly died of disease
Ah ok, I knew there was something about a massive abundance of bison, later being culled to near extinction.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
soooo ... genocide is a real solution to global warming?

At long last Africa can take the spotlight and be at the global forefront of combating this climate scourge!

krycor

Honorary Master
While on the subject.

I met someone that didn't know there were native americans on the continent of america before whites got there. Or more or less when whites got there (columbus, not the vikings). She also didn't know why people sometimes said american indians and where that might have originated.

She's 36 and has a degree in chemical engineering.

Is this normal?
Highly educated people can be very competent and knowledgeable within their own spheres, if she was educated in this country then it's not that abnormal to not know the history of another country. On the other hand, how do you escape the pop culture references of cowboys and Indians, Pocohontas, Dances with wolves etc...?
If she's American, it's normal.

They still think Columbus discovered America even though he never set foot on what is now the USA.
It always amazes me that Americans (US and Canada) in particular white washed their history of genocide(Canadians are actually trying to fix this but losing) albeit in their case numbers make it look worse(disease is not really the same) unlike what happen in Austrailia, New Zealand and South Africa.

It fascinates me that if there is one thing US people have yet to come right on, its that.. maybe thats why they failing to lead the way lately.. it's becoming very apparent to everyone about the skeletons in their closet.

krycor

Honorary Master
soooo ... genocide is a real solution to global warming?

At long last Africa can take the spotlight and be at the global forefront of combating this climate scourge!
Ironically we need a genocide of the developed world this time round to have the drastic impact needed.

Reality though, is that American/Western way of life is not possible for everyone globally and so a new standard needs to be found. Good luck getting peolple in the US to see it this way though.

eg2505

Honorary Master
They have already been and the opposite happened.
totally possible, maybe the aliens were not an telepathic advanced spacefaring species with fusion power and genetic engineering,

maybe they were the rednecks of the universe, and all they know is how to jack up bakkies and musical burps/farts?
and overpopulation and believing that rhino horns are magical,

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Ironically we need a genocide of the developed world this time round to have the drastic impact needed
Only if you buy into the unproven theory that drastically reducing emissions can meaningfully reverse a global trend. I don't, not until it is proven.

In the meantime I find it amusing that genocide, which will make many a SJW reeeeee at their max setting, actually is said to have impacted the global climate in a positive way, something many a SJW will support blindly. So they would be torn internally, which is great, literally torn would be better, but I'll take what I can get ... ;)

Cius

Expert Member
Yet more great evidence that just cause it says: " A study recently found"

It does not mean it holds any value, or more importantly truth. Plenty of idiots and chancers in academia and plenty news outlets that feed those trolls.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Hmmmmm...

This was largely the Spanish and Portuguese... Lets be specific and just call them what they are, Mediterranean. Probably could even call them coloured cos of the Moorish invasion of the area hundreds of years before.
Also, they didn't actively kill them, they brought diseases that did the job by accident.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Also, they didn't actively kill them, they brought diseases that did the job by accident.
Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

The climate difference of the Southern Cape was the main reason the Nguni weren't able to settle the area because their crops (whatever they were) couldn't grow there. The Khoisan of the Southern Cape managed to get their hands on Nguni Cattle which allowed them to be more numerous than the San further North. Without of the decimation of the population by diseases it would of been way harder for the first settlers to expand their initial settlements.
Edit: My apologies. Correction:
Khoikhoi population were decimated by smallpox, measles, influenza and other diseases.

Last edited:

rambo919

Expert Member
The price of pre-globalization.

In related news West Africa in general was at one point called the "white man's grave".... almost all the whites that arrived during colonization died from disease.