European Super League

Speedster

Honorary Master
With the founding clubs formally committing to the ESL it looks like this will now be a thing.

Last edited:

Speedster

Honorary Master
Muhammad Ali had his boxing licence suspended for 3 years for being a conscientious objector. Vinnie Jones was suspended for 6 months for doing a voiceover on a video about dirty tactics in football.

I gave examples even though your exclusions don't make sense...it's all breach of contract ultimately. It's not illegal to take performance-enhancing drugs but it is against the rules the players agree to in order to participate in the sport. The football association (at least the English one) has to provide permission to clubs to enter competitions outside of the league system \ agreed cups. Without that permission, they're effectively in breach of contract. Whether or not they enforce that, time will tell.

Do you see any of these football associations banning the entirety of their top players?

Also, the players are contracted to the clubs, not the leagues.

Speedster

Honorary Master
The only thing that can kill this thing for sure are the players.

Currently the 2 biggest young stars Mbappe and Haaland are not involved in the Super League, if Messi and Ronaldo come out against this it will help.

Good news is that there are no real big stars apart from Ronaldo playing in the big 3 in Serie A and the Big 2 in Spain have the least amount of stars since I can remember. Most of the star players are playing in the EPL.

If the German and Brazilian FAs ban players that play in the Super League from playing for their national sides, its going to go a long way.

I have a strong suspicion PSG are one of the three unnamed clubs

Speedster

Honorary Master
The Juve guy didn't sink billions of his own cash into UEFA.

On a side note now we know why the Newcastle deal was really blocked
You sure about the cash injection to UEFA? I know he's poured plenty into PSG, didn't realise he was buying off Euro football too.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
You sure about the cash injection to UEFA? I know he's poured plenty into PSG, didn't realise he was buying off Euro football too.

His mistake, or maybe he better pour more billions in to UEFA, to sink the Super League.

Azg

Expert Member
If the German and Brazilian FAs ban players that play in the Super League from playing for their national sides, its going to go a long way.
Not sure why any of the South American football associations would ban a player from playing for the national team, based on which European league the player is plying his trade in. If anything this disruption in Europe would give the likes of Brazil and Argentina half a chance at the next World Cup.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I find all the ex-players' comments ludicrous. They signed up to the club who'd pay them most, and now they're being all stuck up about the clubs wanting to change up the financial model. Hypocrites.

Speedster

Honorary Master
He has not, so he must see an alternative, that is a possibility.
He hasn't publically. There are three clubs who are part of the project but not ready to commit publically yet. I'd be very surprised if PSG isn't one of those.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
He hasn't publically. There are three clubs who are part of the project but not ready to commit publically yet. I'd be very surprised if PSG isn't one of those.

I don't see that they have an alternative, but, yeah, politics is a bugger.