Evaporation of petrol

jphegers

If i fill a 20 litre container with petrol and place a piece of cling wrap over the opening before screwing the cap on will this help that the petrol does not evaporate, or is there a better way of preventing too much evapouration?

WesleyDB

If it's a good quality watertight container it should be fine even without the cling wrap. It's dangerous to store large amounts of petrol in cheap quality containers. So wouldn't chance it if the container is dodgy.

Reactions: 3WA

WAslayer

Expert Member
How long are you storing the petrol for..? I am assuming quite some time if you need to ask this question..

Over time, stored petrol loses combustibility and you risk damaging your fuel components..

Drifter

Honorary Master
The petrol fumes will just disintegrate the cling wrap in any case.

saor

Honorary Master
Reminds me the fun times putting styrofoam in petrol to make sticky flammable stuff.

upup

Executive Member
If you do keep it at home and something happens and you need to phone your insurance, they will give you some award. And you will not be proud of that award.

saor

Honorary Master
Ahhhhh yes, the kids never saw that one coming.
We also filled a wine bottle with half water half petrol, shoved the cork in and set the bottle on a little fire. And then proceeded to stand verrrry far away until the thing went boom.
:X3:

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
A decent 20l container that doesn't leak with 18l of fuel and squeez the air out to the top and seal/close.
But as mentioned be weary of such large amounts of flammable liquid in your house or garage.