Every COVID-19 vaccine and treatment in development and on trial, so far.

neoprema

Expert Member
Interesting article, but off-topic since it says nothing about vaccines, which I assume is your personal commentary.
If you're not so quick to pick on everything that is said you will notice that I said even with vaccines, those who have been infected may still have long-term effects as the article states. The vaccine won't undo them.

But clearly someone died and made you forum police.

neoprema

Expert Member
If you're not so quick to pick on everything that is said you will notice that I said even with vaccines, those who have been infected may still have long-term effects as the article states. The vaccine won't undo them.

But clearly someone died and made you forum police.
Don't be sad, i haven't had my coffee. I attack and destroy everything until then :cautious:

LONDON (Reuters) - Oxford University’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate has a better immune response when a two full-dose regime is used rather than a full-dose followed by a half-dose booster, the university said on Thursday, citing data from early trials.

The developers of the vaccine candidate, which has been licensed to pharmaceuticals company AstraZeneca, have already published later stage trial results showing higher efficacy when a half dose is followed by a full dose, compared to a two full-dose regime. However, more work needs to be done to affirm that result.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So here is a thought:

1. Early on, it was shown that smokers are less affected by this virus if they get infected - presumably because nicotine reduces the virus' ability to infect a person.

2. Now, we hear that those receiving the vaccines must not consume alcohol for 2 weeks before, in the period between any repeat shots and for 3 weeks after. Presumably, this is because alcohol affects the effectiveness of the vaccine. Thus it is fair to say that consumers of alcohol are probably also less affected by the virus in the first place?

So, tell me then with tears in my eyes why Alcohol sales are being limited? And, maybe, just maybe the numbers we are now seeing seeking hospitalisation is partly due to the lower alcohol consumption levels?

Just a thought. I wonder if someone has some data to analyse to try and show what effect alcohol has on the virus' ability to infect people??

:unsure: :eek: :ROFL: o_O

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Colchicine is available over the counter without script in SA also, I have bought countless times over the decades.,
Thank you very much. Trying to get a chemist to sell you a generic anti inflammatory for an existing prescription is nigh on impossible. So, definitely going to look into this one.

Last edited:

Grant

Honorary Master
So here is a thought:

1. Early on, it was shown that smokers are less affected by this virus if they get infected - presumably because nicotine reduces the virus' ability to infect a person.

2. Now, we hear that those receiving the vaccines must not consume alcohol for 2 weeks before, in the period between any repeat shots and for 3 weeks after. Presumably, this is because alcohol affects the effectiveness of the vaccine. Thus it is fair to say that consumers of alcohol are probably also less affected by the virus in the first place?
Where does the no alcohol prior to vaccine thing come from?
I'm part of a clinical trial, some get the real thing, others a placebo.
We were not told "no alcohol" prior to receiving the injection.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Tony Blair states something which others are reluctant to say, two doses is not the best use of resources at this stage:
"You give one dose you get 91% [protection] you give two doses and you get 95% - you are only gaining 4% for giving the second dose," he said.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Tony Blair states something which others are reluctant to say, two doses is not the best use of resources at this stage:
A typical non-medical response. God help us from all these politicians. If the medical experts say two doses are required then two doses it should be.
What the H is he going to say when many of those on the one-dose regime end up still being infected? Then all that money and those doses are simply wasted.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Beggars can't be choosers:
Until Wednesday, only Russia and Belarus had approved use of the Sputnik vaccine. It will be produced by Russia’s partners in India, China, South Korea and other countries, according to an emailed statement from the Russian Direct Investment Fund, which backs the vaccine.
Health Minister Gines Gonzalez Garcia recently criticized Pfizer Inc., which rolled out the first vaccine for use, for seeking what he called “unacceptable conditions” in negotiations. However, Argentina’s pharmaceutical regulator Anmat approved use of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine on Tuesday, even though no formal agreement has been announced.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Trials of non-vaccine (direct) antibody injection in cases of known exposure:
This makes plenty of sense to me. Why it would cost more than a vaccine or why it is considered not to be a replacement for vaccines is a bit of a mystery.

R13...

Honorary Master
This makes plenty of sense to me. Why it would cost more than a vaccine or why it is considered not to be a replacement for vaccines is a bit of a mystery.
Maybe the cost is an economies of scale thing. Few people would need treatment compared to vaccines which near everyone gets whether or not they need it. And a treatment would be temporary as compared to a vaccine maybe why the difference.