Evetech accused of breaking the CPA

Solitude

Executive Member
I bought form them once. Never needed warranty on the item...

I won't be using them again until they sort this *** out.
Yeah it does make one worried. I've bought plenty of stuff from them before and luckily never had to return anything. But what if something goes wrong with this laptop I'm using for instance? I'd rather pay a bit more for peace of mind.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I still believe they can offer such low prices by screwing people over on the warranties. Besides the issue of "depreciation" in the article, they offer warranties for less of a period than the manufacturers warranty in some instances. I think they then get the replacement for free from the manufacturer and sell it.

And lets not forget it costs money to set up a customer support service, so they obviously saving on these costs as well.

animehero

Expert Member
I still believe they can offer such low prices by screwing people over on the warranties. Besides the issue of "depreciation" in the article, they offer warranties for less of a period than the manufacturers warranty in some instances. I think they then get the replacement for free from the manufacturer and sell it.

And lets not forget it costs money to set up a customer support service, so they obviously saving on these costs as well.
I have a suspicion that that's exactly what they do.

They make a quick buck off the credit issued by the manufacturer by banking said credit, forcing the customers to pay a difference for replacement products they keep instock, using the credit to restock their shop etc

iamgigglz

Evetech's website puts me off, but Wootware never has stock of anything
At least they're honest about what they have in stock.
I stopped using Evetech a while back because they kept coming back to me saying "Sorrie no stock" on an item that was listed as available.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
At least they're honest about what they have in stock.
I stopped using Evetech a while back because they kept coming back to me saying "Sorrie no stock" on an item that was listed as available.
ALL I WANT IS A 3300X

Nobody Important

Executive Member
What other online computer shops are there?
Computer Mania in Cpt. Dreamware Tech in Durban. Other small ones I haven't used. Check on Carb for suggestions as many of small dealers are active there so you can embarrass them if they f up. Small companies mean personal service but prices may not be the cheapest.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I have a suspicion that that's exactly what they do.

They make a quick buck off the credit issued by the manufacturer by banking said credit, forcing the customers to pay a difference for replacement products they keep instock, using the credit to restock their shop etc
Agreed. Scam artists.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I bought a laptop from them, but only because Dell is handling the warranty.
That's what people think.

I was going to buy a Dell monitor from evekak but someone told me that when something goes wrong, you can approach Dell, Samsung, WD etc directly if you feel, and they may authorize the replacement under warranty but they will refer you back to the store you bought from to claim the replacement since they don't have their own outlets.

And then evekak starts their kak at that point. That turned me off so I spent the extra r300 and bought the monitor from takealot instead.

JOEY_8

Had a similar issue with Matrix Warehouse a few weeks ago.
I bought a Web Cam (Lifecam 3000) just before the lockdown. Recently it started to behave weird - the brightness was messed up. I contacted Matrix and they said we should take it back.
We took it back but they insisted we pay the difference since it now costs around R400 more since when we bought it. Really interesting to see this article now.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Had a similar issue with Matrix Warehouse a few weeks ago.
I bought a Web Cam (Lifecam 3000) just before the lockdown. Recently it started to behave weird - the brightness was messed up. I contacted Matrix and they said we should take it back.
We took it back but they insisted we pay the difference since it now costs around R400 more since when we bought it. Really interesting to see this article now.
But were they willing to pay back the amount you originally paid in cash?

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Had terrible experience with them, only to be sent pillar to post and be lied to eventually got the to sort it out only after I made a YouTube video series on all of it , forcing their hand with bad publicity , never ever again!

cavedog

Honorary Master
But were they willing to pay back the amount you originally paid in cash?
They aren't always that good hey.

I bought a relatively expensive PSU. Had it for about 3 months and while gaming one night the PSU blew. A blue flame from the back scorched the wall. Thank God it happened when I was using the PC and not when I was at work or something flat might have burned down.

Anyways disappointed I took it out and boxed it in it's original packaging and with proof of purchase in hand I head back to the store I bought it.

They open is and I saw the sticker pealing off the side. They said it overheated that is why it blew. I agreed because when a sticker peal like that it's heat related. Without any delay they rejected my warranty claim citing inappropriate use....

I got heated telling them no it's a warranty claim. They agreed to book it in for assessment. 1 week later they called me and said manufacturer rejected it due to improper use. "poor ventilation" was the reason.

Furious I go back and they said maybe the case does not have good ventilation. I told them but I'm using a case bought at this very same store. Then they changed and said maybe I did not clean the dust filters frequently. This back and forth had me raging. 2 months later they said they will "exchange" it in good faith.... They still made me look like the bad guy. Good faith. WTF is that.

I don't buy there again EVER. I would rather Takealot or Wootware or shamefully Evetech because they are like 2km from where I live.