Evetech Review - Damaged Goods and Pathetic After Sales Service

samueljsh

On the 6th of November 2018, I ordered a MSI GP73 8re notebook for R22,798 from Evetech.

Before the item was dispatched, I enquired whether I would be able to upgrade the primary hard disk myself without voiding the warranty (I have been building and repairing PC's, notebooks and network hardware on and off since 2004, and completed my A+ and N+ certifications at age 16 -17 in 2008-2009).

I was informed by Evetech that if I upgrade my own components, it would void the devices warranty and that I should instead make use of Evetech or Partserve in order to upgrade components (email screenshot below). This statement also seems to be false as a contradicting statement from an MSI representative on the MyBroadband forum can be found at here.

Upgrade Warranty Evetech 06-11-2018.jpg

As I did not want to void the warranty of the device, I paid Evetech an additional R299 for an SSD installation service.

A few days later, I received the Notebook and immediately noticed the following damage.

Damage Initially Noticed 1.jpg

Damage Initially Noticed 2.jpg

Damage Initially Noticed 3.jpg

As this notebook was meant to be my primary working device and my old notebook had been retired, I could not afford any downtime that would be associated with shipping the device back to Evetech and waiting for a new device to be shipped to me.

At the time, I also only believed that this was slight cosmetic damage attributed to the installation service rendered by Evetech.

Noting the aforementioned, I still sent Evetech an email on the 9th of November 2018 containing the above photos and explaining my disappointment with the item and service received (screenshot below).

Damaged Device Email to Evetech 09-11-2018.jpg

Evetech responded to this email on the same day, apologized and stated that the matter had been handed to management for investigation (screenshot below).

Damaged Device Email from Evetech 09-11-2018.jpg

Till date, I have not received any further feedback pertaining to this matter.

Moving on...

Around 2 weeks ago, I had noticed that the secondary hard disk (mechanical) was making a rather loud crackling sound. Based on my experience, I decided it was time to upgrade the hard disk to an SSD as the noise I heard could be an indicator of imminent drive failure.

Besides the noise, the notebook was overdue for an upgrade to a larger and faster secondary drive.

I decided to install the new components myself, due to the following:
  1. My warranty was expiring in 4 months.
  2. I cannot afford the downtime associated with shipping the notebook to Gauteng and waiting for upgrades to be completed and then shipping it back to Cape Town.
  3. Most service centers will not allow walk-ins due to Covid-19.
  4. I have vast experience in performing the tasks myself.
I then proceeded to order 2 new SSD’s (1 x 1TB NVMe from Evetech and 1 x 2TB SATA from Wootware) along with an additional 16GB of RAM (from Wootware).

Both orders were placed on the 5th of May 2020. The order from Wootware was dispatched within a day and delivered in under 5 days, whereas, the order from Evetech was only dispatched for shipping today (6 days after the order).

I decided to open the notebook the evening before I was expecting the delivery from Wootware (containing the urgently needed 2TB SATA SSD) in order to speed up the upgrade process once the components were received.

Upon removing the screws, I had already noticed a decrease in tension between the housing and bottom cover of the notebook and could see a slight gap forming at the front.

Upon releasing the holding clips and removing the bottom cover, I had discovered that a total of 7 holding clips were damaged (5 on the front of the housing, 1 on the side of the housing and 1 on the bottom cover). The damage is illustrated below and circled in red.

Damage Once Opened 3.jpg

Damage Once Opened 1.jpg

Damage Once Opened 4.jpg

I could also not find any pieces of the broken holding clips inside the notebook, indicating that the technician that upgraded the primary SSD likely discarded them before reassembly.

Upon this discovery, it appears that I not only paid Evetech an additional R299 fee for slight cosmetic damage on the back of the notebook (initially discovered with remnants of glue/epoxy), but also for extensive structural damage to the integrity of the notebook.

The technician that installed the primary SSD was either incompetent or rushed. You do not need a degree to use a spudging tool with caution.

I take extreme care of all my possessions, most of the items I have owned for years still look new (Including this notebook. It still has plastic over the webcam and logo.). At the time that I received the notebook, I was prepared to accept slight cosmetic damage as I could not afford any downtime but what I have discovered is completely unacceptable.

I proceeded to leave a review for Evetech on Facebook and Hellopeter with the information referenced above. I found it extremely difficult to convey my disappointment with Evetech in this regard without using obscenities.

I also reached out to them via email to publish my review on their customer feedback page (https://www.evetech.co.za/comments.aspx) that only contains positive reviews and apparently welcomes feedback. I received the following email response from Evetech today in regard to my request.

Evetech Feedback Response (2).jpg

My favorite part of the email is how they attempt to negate responsibility/liability by stating that the staff responsible for the issue have likely been retrenched. Who they decide to hire or fire has absolutely nothing to do with 'Evetech's' after sales service and quality control in this regard.

Furthermore, at no point did I request that Evetech should replace my notebook (even though it would be the ethical thing to do). I merely requested that they publish my review so that other prospective Evetech clients do not make the same mistake of using their "installation (demolition) services". They have completely dodged my request and have not addressed it in the response.

Over the last few years, I have either spent or advised close friends and relatives to spend over R80,000 with Evetech. I deeply regret my recommendations if this is the general level of service you can expect from Evetech.

If anyone has received similar services from Evetech, I would urge you to publish your reviews on relevant platforms in order to assist consumers in making informed decisions.

MeestaR

Expert Member
I bought some stuff from Evetech off and on, (I live nearby Evetech, and it was a nice place)but after seeing the photos, I thought, "Someone gave a monkey a spudger." Just unacceptable. The first photos looks like someone opened it with a flat screwdriver.

The fact that the person who was responsible for upgrading your machine, had ZERO regard or responsibility.

My brother's laptop died a while ago, in talks with Evetech, someone told him to send the bloody thing to Mustek. (Already a sign)

I would rather purchase the devices, and do the upgrades myself. Much faster, and if you break something, its on you, and if you take care of your things, they will last.
But, this is plain slapgat service from these guys.

I'm thinking twice before buying from them again.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
This is normal from evetech.

Only use them if you really have to!!

They don't care about clients, or have to. As they stock so many goods and have decent prices, people just buy from them anyway.

Crumbl0x

This is normal from evetech.

Only use them if you really have to!!

They don't care about clients, or have to. As they stock so many goods and have decent prices, people just buy from them anyway.
Not sure about this, all I ever buy from them are individual parts and only had one dead stick of RAM which was promptly returned and replaced, everything else so far over my 4 years with them were great, but yea definitely the laptop and servicing departments are lacking from what I see.

Kynaras

Thank you for such a detailed post, Samuel. My birthday is coming up and I have been looking to buy a new laptop. I am definitely going to look for alternatives sellers after reading your story.

LoudWillo

I have read many bad reviews and I am in the market for a specific gaming laptop.

I don't know where to go,I really need a gaming laptop .I will not buy from Evertech.
Anyone who knows legit sites please help.

DTBA

Expert Member
I have read many bad reviews and I am in the market for a specific gaming laptop.

I don't know where to go,I really need a gaming laptop .I will not buy from Evertech.
Anyone who knows legit sites please help.
wootware.co.za

YeaNutz

I wonder how long https://www.evetech.co.za will last, with google caching hopefully anyone doing a search fill find these forums.

But seeing that MyBB wants to lock down the forums, these will be hidden. I wonder if Evetch are one of the complainers having these forums open to indexing. They need to sort out their reputation fast before they loose the game.

Last edited:

LoudWillo

I wonder how long https://www.evetech.co.za will last, with google caching hopefully anyone doing a search fill find these forums.

But seeing that MyBB wants to lock down the forums, these will be hidden. I wonder if Evetch are one of the complainers having these forums open to indexing. They need to sort out their reputation fast before they loose the game.
What'd you mean your BB wants to lock down forums?

Krypt0n1te

... and despite all this we continue to support them, me included, just bought something.
No one else stock the item I wanted.

YeaNutz

What'd you mean your BB wants to lock down forums?

Apologies, the word lockdown is the incorrect term .....

LoudWillo

Apologies, the word lockdown is the incorrect term .....
I hate it when that happens, asking me to log in to read on their site.

LoudWillo

My definition of expensive might be different from yours,just saying.

dell inspiron g3 3590 i7-9750h gtx 1060 ti