Excerpts from Elon Musk biography by Walter Isaacson - On his violent South African childhood

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Elon Musk's violent South African childhood

Elon Musk’s violent upbringing in South Africa and his allegedly emotionally abusive father shaped him into a risk-seeker who courts crisis and drama when given the opportunity.

So writes biographer Walter Isaacson in his new book, set to be released tomorrow (12 September 2023).

“a paramilitary Lord of the Flies”
"kids were given food and water rations, then allowed, even encouraged, to fight over them."
"He was beaten up twice and lost over four kilograms."
"boys were divided into two groups and told to attack each other."

I'm calling it.

1694418661095.png

"Years later, Musk would attend another veldskool. However, this time he was about to turn sixteen, had gone through a growth spurt, and had learned some judo."

So became a ninja, chose to go back... and punch people on the nose.

1694418327917.png

The heroe's journey.
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Last edited:
Sheesh. I must have lived a very sheltered life. You know, growing up in public schools in Limpopo and Gauteng and going to veldskool.
I'm willing to bet my experience is not the same as yours :) There was tons of fighting at veldskool and teachers loved it. I sat with them as they enjoyed it, and didnt put a stop to it. They even encouraged it and discussed who will win. But this was Afrikaans veldskool, not one of those english holiday trips.

Musk also told a story of how they kept German Shepherd dogs trained to attack people running by their house.
When the brothers got off the train on their way to the concert, they saw a dead man with a knife sticking out of his head.
Where the fck did he live ?

My veldskool was cool man. Waterval boven. It was cool, and we had fun!

If Musk was a kid like he is now... it explains why he got the **** beaten out of him.

If Musk was a kid like he is now... it explains why he got the **** beaten out of him.
Which school? Not the same people run each one. How do you think you can compare your experience to his?
I also just recalled, one of my teachers was also complaining about being bullied by the other teachers hehehe

Elon, keep telling everyone how inheriting a fortune, made your life more difficult than what most South Africans deal with every day.

I'm willing to bet my experience is not the same as yours :) There was tons of fighting at veldskool and teachers loved it. I sat with them as they enjoyed it, and didnt put a stop to it. They even encouraged it and discussed who will win. But this was Afrikaans veldskool, not one of those english holiday trips.

would you say that it was a positive experience?

would you say that it was a positive experience?
My experience and understanding from guys beating other guys go 2 ways.
1) They are crying. Something found often especially in pubs. Girls cry with tears, boys cry with LOSC.
2) They are gay. Often that expression of power is actually because they have the hots for the other guy. Lots of the 'big boys' ended up being not so straight (married ... with a side boyfriend etc).

Same here.
Also Waterval Boven.... was a great time.
No-one even bothered bullying the morbidly obese fat kid in my team who caused us to lose at everything.

Between friends and family over the course of 40 years I've literally never heard a single person moan about Veldskool.
Sounds more the moans of a coddled English kid with a lifetime of hyperbole who didn't fit in with Afrikaners.

Back