Exchange Supports 40Mbps, profiles loaded but infrastructure only 4mbps

mjgaylord

I was wondering if anybody could explain this to me. Our exchange has been upgraded to 40mbps, the Telkom Line Checker says that we can get 40mbps, Afrihost tells me that they can upgrade me to 40mbps, but it won't help since the area's infrastructure still only supports 4mbps.

Is this correct? I would have thought that if the exchange is designed to support 40mbps I should be able to take advantage of this. Why would Telkom install a brand new exchange if it cannot support higher line speeds to their customers?

happynoodleboy

Expert Member
I was wondering if anybody could explain this to me. Our exchange has been upgraded to 40mbps, the Telkom Line Checker says that we can get 40mbps, Afrihost tells me that they can upgrade me to 40mbps, but it won't help since the area's infrastructure still only supports 4mbps.

Is this correct? I would have thought that if the exchange is designed to support 40mbps I should be able to take advantage of this. Why would Telkom install a brand new exchange if it cannot support higher line speeds to their customers?
Got the exact same thing.
They upgraded the exchange.
They actually phoned me and offered me the upgrade to 10meg, some promo with 50 gig and an Explora for like R700 odd p/m.
The ADSL checker says I can go up to 40 mbps.

But they cannot verify on some other system that the infrastructure can support it.
Dunno if it just needs to update all the relevant syystems or what.
Thought I would give it a week or so and try again.