Exchange Upgraded to 10 Megs, then downgraded to 4 Megs!~~

midkemia

So my exchange (clareinch) was upgraded to 10 megs, and all was hunky dory...:love:

Then the edge router at rondebosch exchange died, and we all had high pings, and things wernt very good... 180ms ping to local servers :mad:

So now the latency is kinda fixed again, but I phoned telkom to get my line speed back up to 10 meg, and they said.... MY EXCHANGE DOES NOT SUPPORT 10 MEGS....:mad:

I was like... but it was on 10 megs, and the lady was like well it doesnt let me change it, so your exchange doesnt support it...:wtf:

TELKOM!!!!! WHY UPGRADE and then downgrade??? INCOMPETENT FOOLS!!!!!:mad:

iCubed.Saajid

The only thing worse than not being able to get a 10mb ADSL line, is first getting it, and then losing it.

Mamajyot

So my exchange (clareinch) was upgraded to 10 megs, and all was hunky dory...:love:

Then the edge router at rondebosch exchange died, and we all had high pings, and things wernt very good... 180ms ping to local servers :mad:

So now the latency is kinda fixed again, but I phoned telkom to get my line speed back up to 10 meg, and they said.... MY EXCHANGE DOES NOT SUPPORT 10 MEGS....:mad:

I was like... but it was on 10 megs, and the lady was like well it doesnt let me change it, so your exchange doesnt support it...:wtf:

It could be worse (like my case).

My exchange supports up to 512k only!

Ou grote

Honorary Master

Try going to a Telkom shop.

fragtion

Expert Member
World class network my arse.
+1. 99% of us are still waiting for our 10Mbps - the very 10Mbps which Telkom are advertising all over the place as if its their network standard, and have been doing so for MONTHS without providing the slightest info about when the rest of us can expect our upgrades. How can this even be legal? bastards... I guess we should use our own intuition: maybe in the next 5 years they'll complete the 10mbps adsl upgrade process - but by then the rest of the world will be on 10Gbps fibre-to-the-home

Mr.Jax

Expert Member
It could be worse...try bad pings for nearly two years.

Your exchange no longer supports 10meg because telkom probably doesn't have the back-haul capacity to deal with it and to upgrade that would cost too much money. Telkom != forward thinking sad to say.

Last edited:

Metalaxe

Had the same problem. Was on a 10meg line, then internet died for 3 and a half weeks without any comeback. Telkom keeps giving random answers and then i get hold of a supervisor who actually tries to help me, he says the exchange overloaded because of mweb's uncapped option. Later I decide to visit the exchange myself. They apparently know about my problem. I phone up this supervisor again, he downgrades my line to 4 megs, and it works. 5 days later telkom phones me to ask me if my line works. I explain everything and they say that they can now only put me on the 8 meg line so ya.

I know how it feels to have 10 megs then slower

zolly

Expert Member
I went from 8 meg to 6 meg, but as far as I'm concerned I'd rather have decent pings and closers to 6 meg than crap pings and crap speeds that run at 512k, which was the case a few weeks ago.