EXCLUSIVE: Cronin lifts veil on new draft expropriation law

f2wohf

Honorary Master
No that does not make it valid, it just means there is a claim. The courts must still decide if it is valid.
And what's the job of the Land Claims Court mentioned in my post? :unsure:

ponder

Honorary Master
Exactly, a good example is New Zealand who, last I heard passed a law to prevent foreigners buying houses, I believe they can still purchase land and build on it though.
That's only for foreigners, citizens can own multiple properties. Mate of mine owns about 4 houses and three businesses.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Still think they can do it differently to everyone else that failed?

Visser

Expert Member
America is very quiet on this issue, too quiet in my opinion. They refuse to engage with the ANC on EWC. I am sure, 100% sure, that the moment the constitution is changed, South Africa can expect actions such as being kicked out of AGOA and facing further trade restrictions. The moment the first property is taken without compensation and the owner complains, then sanctions will hit the country from around the globe, irrelevant of what May said, Russia or China said.

maumau

Honorary Master
"A task team on expropriation, previously led by Cronin, identified land and property that could be expropriated without compensation as abandoned buildings, unutilised land, commercial property held unproductively and purely for speculative purposes, underutilised property owned by the state, and f land farmed by labour tenants with an absentee titleholder."

Nice /s

EDIT: I see it's already been mentioned several times :(

maumau

Honorary Master
America is very quiet on this issue, too quiet in my opinion. They refuse to engage with the ANC on EWC. I am sure, 100% sure, that the moment the constitution is changed, South Africa can expect actions such as being kicked out of AGOA and facing further trade restrictions. The moment the first property is taken without compensation and the owner complains, then sanctions will hit the country from around the globe, irrelevant of what May said, Russia or China said.

Do you think anybody really cares what goes down here?

Trump probably only had one moment of madness when he sent that tweet, I don't believe we're front of mind right now.

Still trying to find out why everybody's against Chinese interest in SA.

3WA

Executive Member
...land farmed by labour tenants with an absentee titleholder
Does this apply to the Ingonyama Trust and Goodwill Zwelithini?

HunterNW

Executive Member
I bought a stand in a quiet little town 6 years ago. Back then there was no tar roads or water pipes. Last year roads were laid out and water pipes. I've done nothing on the stand, keeping it for a small investment one day or to maybe build a house and retire there. So obvious this is also in scope to be taken ?

f2wohf

Honorary Master
France http://www.cohesion-territoires.gouv.fr/le-droit-au-logement-opposable-dalo
New Zealand
China
Mozambique https://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTARD/Resources/336681-1295878311276/WB_ARD_Mzmbq_Note43_web.pdf
Hungary
An example is the Australian Foreign Takeovers Act 1975, which restricts acquisitions by foreigners of urban land Earlier this century, various US West Coast states used land ownership restrictions to indirectly reduce immigration from the Far East.
Examples include Morocco where only Moroccans can own agricultural land, and a number of Canadian and US states that also restrict or forbid foreign ownership of farmland.
In some countries, the constitution imposes a total ban on foreign land ownership, such as Cambodia, which restricts the right to land ownership to Khmer citizens and Khmer legal entities (Article 44(1)). Bulgaria also provides an absolute prohibition, as even property acquisitions through legal inheritance must be transferred (Article 22(1)).

Basically many types of restrictions exist in many countries to limit speculation, foreign investments and for others reasons (food security, national security...).

http://www.fao.org/3/a-bb039e.pdf

f2wohf

Honorary Master
I bought a stand in a quiet little town 6 years ago. Back then there was no tar roads or water pipes. Last year roads were laid out and water pipes. I've done nothing on the stand, keeping it for a small investment one day or to maybe build a house and retire there. So obvious this is also in scope to be taken ?
Pretty much so. Rather start building soon.

konfab

Honorary Master
France http://www.cohesion-territoires.gouv.fr/le-droit-au-logement-opposable-dalo
New Zealand
China
Mozambique https://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTARD/Resources/336681-1295878311276/WB_ARD_Mzmbq_Note43_web.pdf
Hungary
An example is the Australian Foreign Takeovers Act 1975, which restricts acquisitions by foreigners of urban land Earlier this century, various US West Coast states used land ownership restrictions to indirectly reduce immigration from the Far East.
Examples include Morocco where only Moroccans can own agricultural land, and a number of Canadian and US states that also restrict or forbid foreign ownership of farmland.
In some countries, the constitution imposes a total ban on foreign land ownership, such as Cambodia, which restricts the right to land ownership to Khmer citizens and Khmer legal entities (Article 44(1)). Bulgaria also provides an absolute prohibition, as even property acquisitions through legal inheritance must be transferred (Article 22(1)).

Basically many types of restrictions exist in many countries to limit speculation, foreign investments and for others reasons (food security, national security...).

http://www.fao.org/3/a-bb039e.pdf
All of those things are aimed at foreign ownership. What you commented on, is someone who is a citizen in a country being prevented from owning land in the country because it is "speculative".

f2wohf

Honorary Master
All of those things are aimed at foreign ownership. What you commented on, is someone who is a citizen in a country being prevented from owning land in the country because it is "speculative".
France China Mozambique Bermuda, I think Singapore, British Columbia and Ontario have a 50% speculation tax.

I'm sure there are others.

Do you really want to defend your right to hold unproductive unused land to make a profit while harming the rest of the population? Don't get surprised if you're hanged at the first riot then...

There are ethical ways to make money with land other than holding it for pure speculative purposes...

Temujin

Executive Member
France China Mozambique Bermuda, I think Singapore, British Columbia and Ontario have a 50% speculation tax.

I'm sure there are others.

Do you really want to defend your right to hold unproductive unused land to make a profit while harming the rest of the population? Don't get surprised if you're hanged at the first riot then...

There are ethical ways to make money with land other than holding it for pure speculative purposes...
What what? How is someone buying land and doing what they want with it harming the rest of the population?

f2wohf

Honorary Master
What what? How is someone buying land and doing what they want with it harming the rest of the population?
By holding unused and unproductive land, you limit the amount of land available for productive purposes and mathematically increase land prices, travelling distances and other things.

It's economics 101, less of a product, higher price.

By the way, you are already dictated what you can do or not with your land. You cannot open an office park, a petrol station or a mall in your garden, you can only build x% of the surface and x stories.

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-ed/neil-moody-speculation-tax-is-no-way-to-get-to-affordability
Charming... How to kill investment in your province 101.

Who determines if the land is unproductive? The wise masters in the government?

You probably have some unproductive rooms in your house, I think, given that you are clearly a woke person that you should give up the ownership of those rooms to the less fortunate. You don't want to be hanged by the crowd now do you? I bet you have some unproductive CPU usage on your computer. The government should therefore install cryptocurrency mining software on your computer and hand those resources over to the poor as you clearly don't need those extra CPU cycles.

Threatening people who buy property for investment is simply retarded, and it ends up hurting the people it is intended to help.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
t
Who determines if the land is unproductive? The wise masters in the government?

You probably have some unproductive rooms in your house, I think, given that you are clearly a woke person that you should give up the ownership of those rooms to the less fortunate. You don't want to be hanged by the crowd now do you? I bet you have some unproductive CPU usage on your computer. The government should therefore install cryptocurrency mining software on your computer and hand those resources over to the poor as you clearly don't need those extra CPU cycles.

Threatening people who buy property for investment is simply retarded, and it ends up hurting the people it is intended to help.
Sure, the French (R180 000 average per sqm in Paris) and Chinese property markets have been deeply hurt... :ROFL:

Plot of land > nothing on it.

You conveniently forget that Cronin solved that question in the article and said that boundaries will be put and specific cases defined.

A significant part of Santon has vast unbuilt areas kept for speculative purposes while other people have to live in Midrand because of the lack of developments in Sandton. They spend more money, pollute, are less happy, use and require more transport and road infrastructure. You and I pay for all this to profit a handful of speculators. Find me one positive point except for your lazy speculator who just has too much capital and no ideas. Wouldn't investing in companies be a allocation of capital?

Do you really have to take the dumbest extreme example? Why not take the broom closet, you can put a refugee in it no?

This art of pushing everything to the extreme and ridiculing everything is really pathetic TBH. Looks like a teenager trying to prove common sense wrong every time you say something.

Last edited: